Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Health Tips, Myths, an...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Health Tips, Myths, an...

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Morton E. Tavel M.D., a physician specializing in internal medicine and cardiovascular diseases, answers what you would like to know regarding matters of health and related medical issues in his recent book Health Tips, Myths, And Tricks: A Physician’s Advice. Backed by sound research and studies, the book could shatter the myths you might be harboring, or if not, reinforce the healthy regimen you have adhered to. Ideas in this book were distilled from documented and referenced materials, with some of these, he himself had published in peer-reviewed national medical journals.

Have you felt like you always wanted a second opinion on the current medical lore? But let me warn you, the second opinion Dr. Tavel gives could be reassuring if it goes along in line with your own thoughts, or it could be shocking if otherwise. For starters, would you consider that “bottled water” is just a waste of money? Or that the much-hyped “Alkaline Water” is virtually a scam? Dr. Tavel says that tap water is just as good for drinking, and alkaline ionizers—the gadget producing alkaline water -- do not remove contaminants in the water. Neither does the ionized water contribute to the acid-alkaline balance of the body. The body does not need any help with this job.

In one chapter, Dr. Tavel zeroed in at another scam, the “Detoxifying” process supposed to cleanse the body of toxins absorbed from the environment or from the food we ate. He says that at the very start this concept is flawed, for our natural body process, as a function of the kidney and liver could not be better done by other substances or practices. These are only a few of the health schemes in the market contrived to waste our money which the book exposed in the “Tricks” section.

This book, Health Tips, Myths, And Tricks: A Physician’s Advice, is designed to be a reference book and may be read on a “need-to-know” basis. It is a rich source of compiled information on different subjects of medical interest, and as such, the mind may fall short of accommodating all together in one loading. But rather, the book could best belong to your shelf for instant perusal once needed.

Dr. Tavel has concisely written the various chapters of the book (62 Chapters, in all) in a conveniently readable format, complete with references at the end. Therein he shared several tips, deactivated many myths, and exposed tricks employed by unscrupulous medical practitioners and manufacturers of drugs and other health products. He generously included topics most relevant today, like say, “Can sunscreen prevent premature skin aging?” Or the upcoming studies to be made in the age of the internet: “WIFI – is it a health hazard?” And then, he divulged the findings of “gluten-free” diets, “Vitamin E” effects on cardiovascular disease or prostate cancer.

This book is very enlightening. For instance, it came to me as a revelation when he stated that “Raw Milk” still needs to be pasteurized in the face of so many advocates saying the opposite. But it came as a bit of shock for me to know that people eating rice are also ingesting arsenic at the same time. And it seemed ironic that the “Common Cold” stays till now without a known “cure” despite the tremendous leaps Medical Technology has made, for the symptoms are all that gets treated, and the headache medicines are not cures, but just painkillers.

There were few typos not worth mentioning, and my overall impression is Health Tips, Myths, And Tricks: A Physician’s Advice merits a well-advised rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is no restrictive clause for the readership of this book. Anyone with eyes that see and a brain that could comprehend may read it.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Wow. That is a nice review of this book. I am happy that you studied it. The benefits are immense.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book is full of interesting information regarding medical effects of medicines on health. Thanks for this critical review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Paul78 wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 11:39 Wow. That is a nice review of this book. I am happy that you studied it. The benefits are immense.
Thanks for your reply Paul78.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 13:24 This book is full of interesting information regarding medical effects of medicines on health. Thanks for this critical review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out my review.
Thanks for your nice feedback.

kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your complete review of this book. I like how you start out by identifying the author as a MD since this influences his opinions on many "health" ideas prevalent in our society. I was not surprised about the Raw Milk section since I grew up on a farm. But, yes, the Rice chapter was a real eye opener! Great Job. Thanks.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 15:36 Thanks for your complete review of this book. I like how you start out by identifying the author as a MD since this influences his opinions on many "health" ideas prevalent in our society. I was not surprised about the Raw Milk section since I grew up on a farm. But, yes, the Rice chapter was a real eye opener! Great Job. Thanks.
Thanks for your feedback.
You are doing fine yourself in your reviews. Keep going.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thorough review! Although the info can probably found on the internet, it's convenient to have the tips all in one book. Since I have eyes and a brain, I am going to check out the sample. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

bookowlie wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 21:35 Great, thorough review! Although the info can probably found on the internet, it's convenient to have the tips all in one book. Since I have eyes and a brain, I am going to check out the sample. :)
Thanks, @bookowlie for visiting this page. With regards to your capability of reading the book, there's no doubt about that. And if I may correct you without lessening your cause, you do not only have a brain, anatomy says we have, in fact, two: one at the left and another at the right. Although, I have said only one as a requisite. (just kidding)

Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The detoxifying hype is a scam? Wow, this book is a truly a bold second opinion! Thanks for the thought-provoking review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Cotwani wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 15:56 The detoxifying hype is a scam? Wow, this book is a truly a bold second opinion! Thanks for the thought-provoking review!
Yes. Dr. Tavel said the body does not need any substance or chemical to detoxify itself. This is the function of the kidneys and the liver. So, the hype about this health fad of detoxification is there to scam us.

Thank you for passing by.

Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Well-written review!
While some things shocked and surprised me, many things did not. I am skeptical when it comes to new health revelations because most of it is a scam. Consuming alkaline water was no different. It is just another way to make money off of misinformed people.
Great points you made in your review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 10:49 Well-written review!
While some things shocked and surprised me, many things did not. I am skeptical when it comes to new health revelations because most of it is a scam. Consuming alkaline water was no different. It is just another way to make money off of misinformed people.
Great points you made in your review!
Thank you very much for passing by. I was also shocked by some of the revelations. Doctor knows best, as they say. So, I go along with his findings, until another doctor says something. Second opinion, that is.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”