Review by Missnellus -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Missnellus
Currently Reading: Gideon: The Sound and The Glory
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missnellus.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Review by Missnellus -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Missnellus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sarah Cooley, a thirteen year old girl appears on Tom Olsen's door one rainy afternoon just as he is packing up to go hiking at old bear valley with his friends William and Myra. After agreeing on taking her along, Sarah throws a fit and disappears with the atlatl, an artifact that Tom was to leave at his grandfather's grave.

The book does justice in explaining the legends concerning the origin of the North American natives. It explores the existence of familial ties, native mysticism and magically blends science with ancient myths and legends. The author brings out the drama in his writing, being able to hold the reader's attention though in some areas the narration feels dragged and disconnected. He doesn't give the character's background, which works really well in this book.

The map aids at the beginning of the book are a really helpful piece as they guide the reader through Sarah's unbelievable journey, and also navigate through following the trails that they took in the park. This is a very unique piece, as the arguments within the book concerning the legends of long ago and scientific findings are all merged and traced, thus giving wake to an unbelievable adventure.

The pages are artistically decorated, with a mountain outline with two peaks, and the sun rising directly above them at the top of each chapter, and a dart pointing to the next page at the bottom. They are a significant pair, as they are both a part in the story. The editing was flawlessly done and there were no errors in the wordings that would prove to be a downside for the narration.

Being a new genre for me to explore, I couldn't keep up with the narration in some areas, as it felt really disconnected, especially from the beginning of the book to when Sarah suddenly disappeared, and the book takes an interesting turn, making you unable to put the book down. This is a great work of fiction, magically woven to entice readers like me, to sit down a whole day with a warm cup of coffee to read the book till sundown. My enjoyment of the book makes me rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The narration tempted me to deduct half a star, but the drama in the book appeased me. I would reccomend the book not to light headed adventurers, but to ancient history lovers and deep adventurers who would pour down all their focus on the book. I really loved this piece and I'm looking forward to reading more from the author.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Missnellus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Wisdom mensah
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wisdom mensah »

That's awesome
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! I would like to give this author an award for all the work he put into investigating the legends and his great descriptive passages about the area. Like you say, he adds maps and other artistic elements that just add to the story. Very good insights. Thanks.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The map and the artistic decoration of the pages make the book interesting. The storyline is also captivating for new readers. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”