Official Review: Freeing Linhurst by Al Cassidy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Freeing Linhurst by Al Cassidy

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pennhurst State School and Hospital opened its doors in Spring City, Pennsylvania, in November of 1908. Its purpose was to care for and educate the mentally and physically disabled members of the community. However, the institution was soon pressured to also accept immigrants, criminals, and those orphans who could not be housed elsewhere. Within a few years, Pennhurst became overcrowded. Years of such overcrowding, as well as the sad cases of patient abuse, caused the doors to close in 1987.

Freeing Linhurst, written by Al Cassidy, is a Young Adult mystery novel based loosely on what happened within the walls of Pennhurst State School and Hospital, as well as the aftermath of its closing. While stories of mental institutions, haunted or otherwise, are nothing new, author Al Cassidy tells his story from the perspective of the curious children who grow up in towns shrouded in the secrets and mysteries surrounding these now vacant properties. While this easy-to-read tale is both fun and spooky, it also brings to the forefront what can happen when people allow greed and power to take control and influence their actions and decisions.

Al Cassidy’s thrilling mystery follows the adventures of high school science geek, Jack Alexander, and his best friend Celia. The two have been given writing assignments, along with the rest of their classmates, and Jack’s assignment is titled “An Adventure Through Spring Dale.” He decides that this would be an ideal time to make good on the pact he made with his mother before she passed away. They had promised each other they would uncover the secrets behind Linhurst and its sudden and mysterious closing. This project just happens to be due the same day that Linhurst is scheduled for demolishion, which is the day after Halloween.

Unfortunately, Jack and Celia seem to constantly hit brick walls in their research of Linhurst. That is, until one night at the library. In a book titled Oddities of Pennsylvania, the two find a folded sheet of paper containing a drawing of Spring Dale from 1984, and taped to the other side is an article titled “Linhurst Closes.” Luckily, before librarian Hilda Beck oddly snatches away the paper, Jack is able to snap photos of each side on his phone. If the people of Spring Dale were uncomfortable discussing the topic of Linhurst State School and Hospital before, they are even more tight-lipped now. Jack’s principal even goes as far as to have Jack’s project topic changed, and has the teacher give him a one week extension to complete it.

Jack is feeling crushed and discouraged, but is not yet ready to give up. His source of renewed energy and excitement comes from a surprising conversation with the school’s janitor, Charles Mosley. It turns out Mosley has an unexpected link to Linhurst, and can shed some light on a subject most other adults would rather avoid. Armed with this new knowledge, will Jack be able to fulfill the promise he and his mother made to each other? If so, what will this mean for his town and for the soon-to-be-demolished Linhurst? What will the adults in the community do if they discover Jack’s plan to continue his quest for answers?

Freeing Linhurst is a great mystery for young adults and preteens. It is an entertaining read with a solid pace and well developed characters. This book may help spread awareness of the problems that still exist today in the way patients with mental disabilities are sometimes treated. I feel that the author did very well in capturing the various personalities of the teenagers within the town. These brave and curious high schoolers are likable, as well as relatable. Even the supporting characters, such as Charles Mosley and Jack’s father, are drawn out nicely. The settings are vividly described. For instance, I had no problems imagining the fallen leaves coming together to form a hand motioning for Jack to stop as he was getting closer to the buildings of Linhurst. The novel’s themes range from the local politics of a small town to the unfortunate mental institution abuse, as well as paranormal themes and those related to environmental and energy issues. The illustrations in the beginings of each chapter add to the overall appeal of the book.

To be honest, I was not quite sure how I would react as an adult reading this novel. However, I was pleasantly surprised when i became instantly drawn into the story. The author really grabs the reader instantly and does not let go until the very end. I easily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to fans of paranormal mysteries, particularly preteens and teenagers. Those curious about facilities similar to that which is described in this book, may enjoy the fresh perspective Al Cassidy provides when he tells this story from the point of view of these high school teenagers. I am even prompted to look further into the actual institution that is the basis of this captivating novel.

Freeing Linhurst
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love young adult books and this one obviously has its fair share of mystery and intrigue, which is why it's found its place on my To Be Read shelf. I wonder what Jack will face in the hands of a community bent on keeping past secrets secret. I love the easy flowing nature of your review and I'm glad you were easily drawn into the story as an adult. Thanks for the delightful piece.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds amazing. I enjoy young adult novels. This one is right up my alley. Thanks for the immense amount of information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Vickie Noel wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 18:13 I love young adult books and this one obviously has its fair share of mystery and intrigue, which is why it's found its place on my To Be Read shelf. I wonder what Jack will face in the hands of a community bent on keeping past secrets secret. I love the easy flowing nature of your review and I'm glad you were easily drawn into the story as an adult. Thanks for the delightful piece.
Thank you! The YA genre is a favorite of mine, as well. I hope you’re able to get to this book soon, and that you enjoy it!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 18:40 This sounds amazing. I enjoy young adult novels. This one is right up my alley. Thanks for the immense amount of information.
Thanks for checking out my review. I really enjoy YA novels, as well. I hope you enjoy the book, if you’re able to squeeze it in! 😊
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

As an avid lover of Danny Dunn, the Hardy Boys, etc. during my childhood, I always enjoyed most the mysteries that featured some form of socio-political aspect. Having a mystery that also highlights our nation's ongoing issues with mental institutions sounds like the perfect setting for an adventure that could be both entertaining and informative.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 15:00 As an avid lover of Danny Dunn, the Hardy Boys, etc. during my childhood, I always enjoyed most the mysteries that featured some form of socio-political aspect. Having a mystery that also highlights our nation's ongoing issues with mental institutions sounds like the perfect setting for an adventure that could be both entertaining and informative.
Yes! This book is both entertaining and informative. If you enjoyed Hardy Boys mysteries, then you may enjoy this as well. Thank you! :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for the detailed review. I read the sample of this one and I really loved it. The mystery behind Linhurst is quite gripping.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 08:09 Thank you for the detailed review. I read the sample of this one and I really loved it. The mystery behind Linhurst is quite gripping.
The mystery really is gripping, I agree. Thank you for stopping by to read my review. :)
purplerain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by purplerain »

Thanks for your reviews
I'll read this one and submit my own review as well
Can't wait...
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions since I read and reviewed this book several months ago. I liked that the story helped to draw attention to an important social issue - the way people with disabilities are treated in mental facilities.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

purplerain wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 10:07 Thanks for your reviews
I'll read this one and submit my own review as well
Can't wait...
I hope you enjoy the book, and look forward to reading your review. Thank you!
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

bookowlie wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 11:59 Great review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions since I read and reviewed this book several months ago. I liked that the story helped to draw attention to an important social issue - the way people with disabilities are treated in mental facilities.
Thank you! I’ll have to check out your review. :) I agree. I like that the author brought this issue to the forefront, especially since the book is geared toward younger readers. It’ll get young adults thinking about the issue, and what can be done.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for your Amazing Review. I love to read young adult novels. Love to read more about the adventures of Jack and Celia and all of their friends. I am looking forward to spending more time on this adventure.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

vinodsai wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 02:57 Thanks for your Amazing Review. I love to read young adult novels. Love to read more about the adventures of Jack and Celia and all of their friends. I am looking forward to spending more time on this adventure.
I hope you enjoy the book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”