Review by Steph K -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Review by Steph K -- End of the Last Great Kingdom

Post by Steph K »

[Following is a volunteer review of "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose is a dark fantasy novel. The book takes place in the land of Sulphurium. The main character is Leaf, who enters the Central Mage school. He is a ward of the school with a mysterious past. He doesn’t know how old he is or what his real name is. Leaf is bullied by other students at the school.

He struggles to find his element, and hasn’t successfully used magic. He chooses a trial by combat, thinking it is the only way he can become a mage. Living as an enlighten at the mage school, he is considered a higher social class. If Leaf had to leave the school, he would not have much of a life. He wins the trial by combat, becoming a mage and taking the name Brimstone. Brimstone is still struggling at the school. He is very poor, and can’t buy the basic supplies he needs or much food. He is still targeted and bullied by other students. The Order comes to the school to investigate something that is killing students, and Brimstone is accused and has to flee.

The book has excellent worldbuilding. It starts off with a prologue explaining the history of Sulphurium. At first I found that part a drag, but after reading the book I think it was really necessary for the reader to understand what the enlighten are, and the culture and hierarchy of Sulphurium. The mage school and the other students are well drawn out. I found all the characters to have excellent character development.
Something I think readers should be aware of is how graphic the book can be. There is lots of blood and gore. All the violence, especially with the main characters being described as young teenagers, might be disturbing for some. The violence never came across as gratuitous, however. It always made sense within the context of the story.

The book is frequently described as Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones. A harsh, quasi-medieval setting makes it feel similar to Game of Thrones. The magic school makes me think of Hogwarts. Like Harry Potter, Brimstone even has two close friends, Heat and Neutron. It is absolutely not a Harry Potter knockoff though. Sulphurium is a wholly original fantasy world.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of epic fantasy will love this book. It has a vibrant, well developed fantasy world with characters the reader will really love. It is also edited and formatted well. Sometimes with self-published or independently published book that is a problem, but not in this case.

End of the Last Great Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Steph K's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like your use of the term "worldbuilding" in the review. I think it is a really apt term and authors who excel at that can create amazing novels.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I like stories about the underdogs, struggling and clawing their way to the top. It has the feel-good factor that makes one rejoice at the end, sharing in the triumph achieved by the character, and basking in the glow of the fairy-tale-like ending where the good guys made it. Thanks for the review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

This is my kind of book! The magic and medieval-feel of the world built by the author makes reading even more enjoyable. I look forward to reading this book. Thank you for the lovely review.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

nice review. Your review gives me hints about this book. I want to read this one. I guess that it is a nice book.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Leaf's mysterious past also surprised me. I thought that by the end of the book, I would gain more insight into his history.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely important in a book like this to have good world building. I'm glad the author did that well! Thanks for the review. It sounds like a really great book and definitely worthy of book of the month!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

The story sounds touching, being in an environment where one feels he does not belong can really be frustrating. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
twitchlet
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twitchlet.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by twitchlet »

I am an avid reader in the fantasy genre, and found that your review pushed me towards making this my next read. I appreciate that you pointed out the slow start for the world building, but then explained it was necessary information for the book. I also love that you pointed out the similarities and differences to Harry Potter. Well done!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Steph K wrote: 27 Nov 2017, 17:35 It is absolutely not a Harry Potter knockoff though.
I agree that it is in NO way a Harry Potter knockoff. I do think, however, that it mimicks MANY books along with Harry Potter.

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books.

Twenty Way's End of The Last Great Kindom is Like Other Books:
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=54527&p=813109#p813109

My review of this book here:
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=54527&p=813109#p813109
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 23:43 Leaf's mysterious past also surprised me. I thought that by the end of the book, I would gain more insight into his history.
I was also hoping for that. Hopefully we learn more about that in the next book.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I was also a fan of the world-building in this book. It made for a very exciting read. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”