Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by aliceriddle »

I don't think it's misleading. Though it does sound like a story about a romance at first. But I believe the author knows better.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I thought I was the only one who assumed it was a romance novel. The title is what led me to download the book for review. I read the first page and realized I was mistaken. I kept reading on, to give the book a chance, but I quickly had to cut it short because of my lack of interest.

I absolutely agree that the title of this book is misleading. It could have been titled better to indicated that is a self-help book. Let's face it, many people choose books based on their title and I can't help but think that there will be some who are disappointed.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I'm okay with the title. You have to call your book something.

The subtitle, Stories of Ordinary Gurus I've Met, clarifies enough for me that "Margaret" is one of these "ordinary gurus" and that the stories are not romance-oriented.

I think that if Rob White had put a self-help title on the book I wouldn't have picked it up. And if the self-help title were prescriptive (or systematic) in any way, that would have been misleading.

Maybe something like "Lessons Learned" would have been more in-your-face about the content, but that doesn't particularly draw me into a book.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

The title was one of the rare things I liked about this book. It said the name of one of his gurus. An everyday girl in everyday situation. But even everyday things can teach us a very important lesson. For me the point was that the author showed that even the seemingly most unimportant being can show herself/himself crucial in the right situation. There is a quote I like from a series I watched: "In 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
Celia__
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Celia__ »

Definitely not. I actually like the book title.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

uyky wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 11:57 For me the point was that the author showed that even the seemingly most unimportant being can show herself/himself crucial in the right situation. There is a quote I like from a series I watched: "In 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
That is also my point. I think the book is named so precisely because the character of Margaret apparently lacks significance. Renaming it with the Maasai mother would have eroded the core idea of the book, which is, focusing upon the insignificant.

Also, nice quote uyky. I will like to know the name of the series.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

rik17 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 00:12
uyky wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 11:57 For me the point was that the author showed that even the seemingly most unimportant being can show herself/himself crucial in the right situation. There is a quote I like from a series I watched: "In 900 years of time and space I've never met anyone who wasn't important before."
That is also my point. I think the book is named so precisely because the character of Margaret apparently lacks significance. Renaming it with the Maasai mother would have eroded the core idea of the book, which is, focusing upon the insignificant.

It's the British BBC show Doctor Who :)
rik17
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

uyky wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 05:50
rik17 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 00:12

It's the British BBC show Doctor Who :)
Ohk. One of those which you hear so much about that you feel like you have already seen it.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I think it happens often that the writers feel like a title is apt for their work, but it sends a different message to the readers. When I had read the title, I too thought that it would be a romance of some sorts. I didn't expect it to be what it actually was.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

A lot of people contributed to the success of the author. He met lots of people not only margaret. The title is not suitable and misleading.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

The title has a little feel of Tuesdays with Morrie to it. What alternatives would be better? I like that there's more text to describe the book in the title.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I think the moment he met Margaret was one of the biggest changes he decided to make in his life. Although the title does sound like he’s meeting his wife or lover. Maybe “Then I Met Magaret, The Child Who Changed My Mind” or “Life’s Lessons”.
Last edited by Mary Garrison on 18 Jan 2018, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

The title should have really been something more apt. When I read the title I automatically thought that Margaret must be the pivotal person. However, she turned out just a part of his life.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I will admit that at first when I saw the title I thought it was a romance novel, although the genre clearly indicated non-fiction. However, after reading the introduction I understood why Rob chose the title he did. Meeting Margaret was an important moment in his life and I think he wanted to convey that in a very broad way and so he gave the book that title. The impact she had was far different from the other gurus he had met in his life. As a writer I think you do have the leeway to be a bit "misleading" in the title of your book. I think it demonstrates creativity and doing things outside of the box. It is hard to please readers. If Rob had chosen a different title for the book, perhaps I would have not given it a chance. So yes it is quite fine to use a title to lure readers in; sometimes it is work your while - at least in my case it has been.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I haven't read this book yet, but judging from the discussion I'd say the author probably chose that title to capture interest. You read through wanting to know more about Margaret even though the story is not about her exactly. I don't mind the name though.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”