Review by rik17 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by rik17 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by rik17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret, by Rob White, is a non-fictional motivational standalone book. Originating from a humble proletarian family in a small town of America, Mr. White worked his way up to become a very successful real estate developer. Later on, he became a successful restaurateur as well. Mr. White then reinvented himself again, as a philosopher and author. Throughout his life, he not only tried to attain material success, but also endeavored to inculcate spiritual and philosophical enlightenment. The book reflects his lifelong efforts to realize and reinvent himself. Through a roughly sequenced structure, it highlights different experiences, trying to enlighten us, instead of putting forward a straightforward autobiographical narrative.

How does a person, not yet in his thirties, review a book which primarily presents the honest emotions of a human being aged twice than him and who has achieved a trillion times more than what he has? The first emotion that I felt when I started reading this book was that of absolute fear. I was overwhelmed. Then the gradually emerging feeling was of submission, as I tried to emulate the emotional nakedness with which Mr. White narrated his feelings. As I slowly tried understanding the minute emotions embedded within each experience, I realized that there is no ego functional here. The work never feels like a highbrow autobiography of a man who has achieved a lot. Instead it appears as if the author, with a critical eye, is writing about the experiences of a fictional character who is silly and vulnerable, who sometimes does things that almost erode his dignity. However the truth is that these are real experiences, which appear this much convincing only because of the narrator’s humility.

The feel of fiction arises from the nature and form of the narrative as well. The simplicity with which Mr. White portrays his worlds reminded me of the great Gabriel Garcia Marquez, especially of the way in which he developed the world of the Buendia family in the landmark novel One Hundred Years of Solitude. The language is simple. The words are few, but extremely accurate. The images formed are crystal clear. Mr. White, just like Mr. Marquez, depicts alive and functional worlds with only a few lines. In terms of structure too, there are traces of fictional treatments. Each story has a set-up, a rising action, and a climax. Consequently each story independently is an extremely interesting read. Mr. White understands how small things can create differences. We often say 90% in order to indicate a large portion of something. Mr. White puts it as 90.5%, making it different and weirdly funny. He does not fear being weird in order to be funny.

The fact that the author characterizes extreme narrative grasp is clear in the first few pages itself. The beginning paragraphs of the introduction are highly enlightening, yet deeply conscious of their repetitiveness. As a reader I found the words "And then I met…" to be a relief after the forceful presentations of similar constructions in these previous few paragraphs. This was exactly the emotion that the writer endeavored to evoke. It is as if a sense of relief has been attained when we realize that every person around us can educate us. The feeling, like the stories, is mundane, yet special. The words "And then I met…" have never been this well earned.

The work feels special also because it endorses the act of breaking free. In countless movies and books I have observed that the act of detaching oneself from his or her tradition is perceived somewhat negatively. This is not one of those works. However, that does not mean that Mr. White has no feelings when it comes to his family and his background. He feels, because he made us feel, about his aunt, about his uncle, and about a certain shop of a certain Mr. Vitim, which too taught him something. This was an exotic world which was established purely upon trust and human interactions. It was a patient time when shopkeepers used to believe that their customers would put a penny in while taking a candy out. It was a world that the immediacy of the draped digital world can hardly fathom.

But for all its achievements in terms of creating environments and characters, this work is primarily about what we feel about ourselves. It is about knowing more through little and big incidents in life. As I went on reading, I started asking myself, why am I reviewing this book? Why do I even read books for that matter? Is an event just a time capsule, or is it the beginning of a chain reaction? As indicated in the book’s prologue, a magic will continue to exert its influence long after it is over.

For all these realizations, and for some more, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The only flaws in the work are the typos. Even these are very few. It is an inspirational book that teaches a lot of things. The most important lesson is that we live in a world full of potentiality, where everyone deserves importance and respect. This book belongs to that special category of works reading which we derive different meanings at different points of our lives. Therefore I recommend it to every person of all ages, because all of us share that one thing which this work really is about, life.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rik17's review? Post a comment saying so!
Siraje
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siraje »

I recommend it to every person o all ages, because al of us share that one thing which this work really is about, life.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Siraje wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 02:38 I recommend it to every person o all ages, because al of us share that one thing which this work really is about, life.
I definitely agree with you. The book is a source of inspiration especially to those who are hopeless in life. I learned many things on this book. Do likewise check mine as well, thanks.

Nice review. :lol:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your review -it seems that many people really love this book and find it motivational. Do you at all find that there is also an underlying focus on money, success, and happiness being linked?
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

pinklover wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 09:33
Siraje wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 02:38 I recommend it to every person o all ages, because al of us share that one thing which this work really is about, life.
I definitely agree with you. The book is a source of inspiration especially to those who are hopeless in life. I learned many things on this book. Do likewise check mine as well, thanks.

Nice review. :lol:
Very true. Thank you for your kind words.

Reading your perspective will be at the top of my 'to do ' list today, pinklover.

Thank you.
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

N_R wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:55 Thanks for your review -it seems that many people really love this book and find it motivational. Do you at all find that there is also an underlying focus on money, success, and happiness being linked?
More than money, I think it is more about linkages between material success and external inspirations derived from minute elements of life.

Excellent question. You can make a thread with it because the question leaves quite a lot to ponder about.
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

Your review offers great insight into the book's content. I love that you were very descriptive with what the book discusses.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I like that you pointed out the way the author focused on 'breaking free' from other people's expectations of you. White really built his whole career on doing what he thought was right, not what other people expected him to do. Great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Knowing more about life through big and little incidents. How true! Very nice review. I also liked your concept of detaching oneself from tradition. Great comments on this book. Thanks.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

rik17 wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 00:50
N_R wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:55 Thanks for your review -it seems that many people really love this book and find it motivational. Do you at all find that there is also an underlying focus on money, success, and happiness being linked?
More than money, I think it is more about linkages between material success and external inspirations derived from minute elements of life.

Excellent question. You can make a thread with it because the question leaves quite a lot to ponder about.

True - very true.
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 17:14 Your review offers great insight into the book's content. I love that you were very descriptive with what the book discusses.
Thank you so much for your kind words, mandalee519.
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 19:52 I like that you pointed out the way the author focused on 'breaking free' from other people's expectations of you. White really built his whole career on doing what he thought was right, not what other people expected him to do. Great review!
Very true. Thanks a lot BookishCreature!
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 21:21 Knowing more about life through big and little incidents. How true! Very nice review. I also liked your concept of detaching oneself from tradition. Great comments on this book. Thanks.
Thanks a lot for your kind words, kdstrack. The act of detaching from tradition and subsequent linkages with the family is actually the aspect that I liked most about this book. Thanks.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

nice review,. I love this book and it helps a lot. I am happy that you like it, too. the myth is not true but people still believe on it. one way that hinders success.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Your review is interesting, as well as philosophical. You dealt nicely with the ramifications of Rob's actions in addition to the actions themselves. It seems clever of you to merge your commentary with the synopsis of the story itself. I enjoyed the read. Thank you.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”