Review by BookishCreature -- Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Review by BookishCreature -- Twisted Threads

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Akira Sato is desperate to leave the employ of her Yakuza boss, Matsui, but she has one more task to complete before she can win her freedom. Matsui’s sister has been murdered, and the killer has been traced to the Starfish, a cruise ship sailing leisurely through the Pacific. Akira’s job is to take the killer out – but there’s a complication. No one is sure whether it was Paul Lyons or his wife, Sara, who was responsible for the murder, and it’s up to Akira to find out. The couple’s handsome nephew, Devon, is a wealth of information and an easy mark for her feminine wiles, but as Akira seduces the truth out of him, she finds herself beginning to fall for him as well. Will her emotions get in the way of her deadly mission?

Kaylin McFarren’s Twisted Threads is a fast-paced psychological thriller with a sexy side. It brought thrills and shivers and kept me guessing until the very last page, but there were a couple issues that kept me from being completely swept up by the story. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Akira is an extremely interesting character. As a former geisha, she’s a master of seduction, but she’s also a lethal assassin determined to complete her mission. I just wish that I had known what she was thinking as she unraveled the intrigue on the Starfish – I wanted to get a glimpse inside her mind as she put the clues together and plotted her next move. She had such a difficult role to play, manipulating Devon even as she fell for him, but the lack of insight into her thoughts left me wondering how much of the relationship was real, at least as first.

The other thing I disliked about the book is how formal the dialogue is. All the characters speak with such perfect diction that sometimes their conversations seemed more like a written exchange than a casual chat with friends. This might just be a matter of personal preference, but for me, it was a bit of a distraction from the otherwise steamy love scenes – even in the throes of passion, Akira and Devon still spoke like royalty.

All complaints aside, I really enjoyed the complex web of plotlines and deceit that McFarren has woven in this book. Every character had a past, every secret had a story, and they all came together in a gripping conclusion. Just when I thought I saw the whodunit coming, a new twist would come out of left field and change everything. Twisted Threads is definitely a well-crafted mystery.

I recommend this book to mystery lovers who enjoy a little seduction mixed in with their suspense, and who don’t mind when the main character is as much of a mystery as the rest of the cast. Readers should also be warned (or tempted, as the case may be) that this book contains several graphic sex scenes.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

While I can definitely say this isn't the sort of genre I typically read, you've done a fantastic job of making the book sound quite interesting. Considering the fact that I'm now interested in reading it when I wouldn't oridinarily seek out this genre, I'm really grateful that I read your review. It always makes me happy to experience books I know I wouldn't have found on my own that are enjoyable to read. Thanks for writing a review!
BookishCreature

SPasciuti wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 18:21 While I can definitely say this isn't the sort of genre I typically read, you've done a fantastic job of making the book sound quite interesting. Considering the fact that I'm now interested in reading it when I wouldn't oridinarily seek out this genre, I'm really grateful that I read your review. It always makes me happy to experience books I know I wouldn't have found on my own that are enjoyable to read. Thanks for writing a review!
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad it piqued your interest. :)
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

The first paragraph of your review is an excellent source of information for potential readers. Honestly, if someone were to read just the first paragraph, there would be a great chance of them picking up the book. You did a great job of explaining the plot and ending with a question mark really adds to the level of curiosity. I also see that you mentioned the characters talk very proper, which I agree can be hard to relate to. Sometimes it is nice to have a character more normalized so they become relatable.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
BookishCreature

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 14:00 The first paragraph of your review is an excellent source of information for potential readers. Honestly, if someone were to read just the first paragraph, there would be a great chance of them picking up the book. You did a great job of explaining the plot and ending with a question mark really adds to the level of curiosity. I also see that you mentioned the characters talk very proper, which I agree can be hard to relate to. Sometimes it is nice to have a character more normalized so they become relatable.
Thank you for reading! I'm glad my summary was enticing!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

I just reviewed this book and it was a fun read. Akira has one hell of an adventure. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”