Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Re: Should there be a sequel?

Post by Yaone »

I think I would enjoy a different motivational book from this author. Writing more about the new or the already used gurus may be monotonous.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I don't think this book particularly calls for a sequel. See, the thing is that it centers around the life lessons a man learned literally throughout the course of his life from when he was very young to his life presently. And I'm not saying that one can't meet amazing people every day, but I feel like it'll be harder to pin down more inspirational mentors and teachers once you've already isolated the ones who've really mattered in one book.

If there were to be a second one, I feel like it would lose a lot of the impact this book has going for it because the author would just be reaching for more ideas and more people to include and they simply wont be as raw, real, and impactful when lumped with a new set that was more or less plucked up and forced in to create a sequel.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A sequel?- no!. He should rather write other self-help or motivational books. Some of the chapters should actually be books in their own right. I think he should rather write a motivational book on how he moved from being a teacher to a fully fledged abounding entrepreneur.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A sequel may not be appropriate as these 21 stories were already the chosen ones from his lifelong journey.

Another book from the author would be welcome. Some readers seem to think that Rob equates success with wealth and business success. I don't. I actually felt that he found the material comforts empty. This could be a takeoff for the next book.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I don't see anything else that he might be able to say that wasn't already said. So definitely no sequel.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

I don't think there is a need to be a sequel to this book. Most self-help books don't seem to need sequels. If they still feel that there is more to be learned from that subject they tend to write an entirely new book about it rather than following on from the last book.
MS NIGHTMARE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MS NIGHTMARE »

Okay, so this is only my opinion on this. It depends on how your first book did and if you think you're able to make another novel and make it have the same elements of the last one and a few new ones.
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:49 Perhaps not a sequel but another motivational book by this author would be great. I think though he must do a better job at editing to minimise the errors
Agree with you.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree that this book was like an autobiography of the author's journey. His meetings with these ordinary people helped shape his life in unexpected ways. If there was a sequel to this book, it would not have a lot of substance or a complete story line. The synopsis of the story was the ending not a cliffhanger.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I don't necessarily think that there should be a sequel, but I do think Rob has an opportunity to write another book. His book is well written, and I think that he could write more stories about his life or even go more in depth with his life as a whole.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

As most people have said I think that this book is a biography of sorts and, as such, a sequel may be unnecessary and actually quite difficult for White to write. However if he believes that he has more stories to tell that could aid and inspire people then why not? It was a moving book and I would be fully open to reading the sequel if he so desired to write one.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think having a sequel to this is not really a good idea since it's the author's journey alone. Sequels are for unanswered questions and lingnering what ifs. This story definitely ended with a period.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I'll like it if he writes about others whom he missed in his stories but mentioned in the 'Acknowledgement' section, especially because his manner of telling tales is very engaging.

However I don't think it can be called a sequel because there is no linkage in terms of story.
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

And Then I Met Margaret 2? Just kidding. Doesn't seem like the type of book that could lend itself to a sequel. If the author were to write a second book as some suggested I hope he reads this forum for some of the feedback given here.
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

If a sequel, he need to write better inspirational stories as the readers might expect more from him.. Personally I wouldn't read one more similar type of book from him:)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”