Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derricksarfo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by derricksarfo »

I love books that emphasis much on the youth and especially relationship. I enjoyed it
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

The characters are well-developed and I found myself caring about them fairly quickly. Despite the frequent shifting of narrator, it wasn't difficult to follow. Unfortunately, I was distracted by the UK spellings of some words and several grammatical errors. For example, on page 6 "he joked his she had." None the less, the story line is engaging and well-executed. It's not going on the permanent shelf but is worth the time spent reading it.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Adults have the benefit of hindsight to know that it gets better. However, it may not seem so to teenagers who are undergoing physical and emotional changes. This book delves into serious and universal themes of coming of age and friendship.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

Thanks for the review. I'm glad that the book rounds out well and explores some gritty topics - in my opinion mental health is one of those taboo subjects that doesn't see the light of day enough. As you say, it's not bright or happy, but it's important that this is something that comes up in the public sphere.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by Fati-bola »

Mental health, insecurities and self confidence as mentioned in this review are the reasons for reading the book. I want to see how these revolve around the four friends: Faye, Olivia, Beth and Abbie. Thanks for this great review.
StarsAtNight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by StarsAtNight »

Perhaps I'm just being grumpy, but I disliked the review. Just starting from the beginning;
"Four friends, Faye, Olivia, Beth and Abbie, have all met separately through happenstances of fate."
Don't everyone meet like that? :/

"All very different people, they somehow find a commonality which glues them together."
All friendships include this; you have to have some sort of connection to one another.

"However, when Faye thinks she sees a long lost love on the street, she is shocked by the effect it has on her. She confronts the rest of the girls as to whether they are really living their lives to the full. While this is a simple question, it throws them all off balance, forcing them to question their life choices, their work and their own relationships."
This actually aggravated me quite a bit. I can understand Faye questioning herself, but with one speech, she can make the others also equally incredibly insecure? I understand it's normal to question yourself and your lifestyle every once in a while, but Faye thinking she's seen her long lost love doesn't completely mean she's going to have a life shocking epiphany that will shock her; and when she shares this to the rest of her friends- they're going to have the same thought?

I find myself feeling skeptical and I already predict the book's not going to be extremely realistic. I guess the review simply drove me the wrong way :( So I'm unlikely to read it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Four personalities become good friends, but the friendship undergoes challenges. Will the friends endure? I'm drawn to read this book for the realism it portrays. Life happens. Friendships either endure or fall apart.

Thanks for the reality check, Micoleon13!
nedimb86
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedimb86.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by nedimb86 »

I like the way the book is written. It is like you are offered bunch of Lego blocks and have to peace everything together. Besides that this book is definitely not for me.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This sounds like an interesting novel. It discusses important topics like friendship and mental health. Congrats on book of the day! Great review!
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

It sounds like many could identify with this book. We all at times wonder if we are living life to the fullest. Thanks for the review.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds like it develops character really well, which is something I like. It's cool that it's set in Manchester also.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I like the idea of switching viewpoints. It's too bad that characters blend together when it happens, because it could be a very powerful tool otherwise. I might read it because of that and because it deals with modern problems people have to face. Thank you for review.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Second Cup', by Sarah Marie Graye, well points out the serious part of life, which is a point to ponder.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Based on my reading of the sample, I agree with some of your review comments such as the slight confusion discerning which character this is, and the sometimes clunkiness of switching between first and third person.

Interestingly I found myself being a little put off by the prologue. It felt as if a male was writing and, until I checked, I then had the impression that he was trying to write female characters!

The first few chapters had a few great moments where I was into the character’s perspective and story, but I found the large sections of detail resulted in slow paced story-telling.
I wanted to be engaged and keen to turn each page but unfortunately I felt that my attention was easily distracted by things going on around me.

It is admirable that the author deals with mental health issues in her novel. This advance knowledge may help readers initially choose and then persevere with their reading.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thank you for your review! The story sounds very interesting based off what you wrote. I especially like that you said that you could relate to the characters and put yourself in their shoes.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”