Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by Mercelle »

This is a book I really enjoyed. Bi especially liked how the author debunked myths he previously believed using his real life experiences. Despite the few typos, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mdoc
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mdoc »

Reading books is my culture. I found myself being inspired and motivated all through to keep reading this book.
Glemsu
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Glemsu »

I haven't read "And Then I Mey Margaret" but I think based on the reviews & comments. This book will inspire young readers like me. I'm 28 years old and a teacher just like the author. I believe that learning from your past mistakes & inspiring others through them is a great thing to contribute in our society. I've been teaching for five years. Doesn't aware if I've inspired any of my students to strive hard for their future. Looking forward to learn the author's personal reflections.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I liked both the form and the content.

I think books belonging to this genre become convincing when the actions of their authors are properly justified. Also the very engaging way in which he narrates the events showcases the general norms of standard plot structure.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Christina Rose wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 15:52 When I originally considered reading this book, I think I put it in the “Not Interested” category, but now I can’t remember why. Since it is the BOTM, I’ll probably look into it again. I see the book has mixed reviews, and I’m looking forward to developing my own opinions as I read through it. Thank you all for your insightful opinions! :)
I've been on the fence as well. Have you decided whether or not to read it?
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

HeatherTasker wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 02:30
Christina Rose wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 15:52 When I originally considered reading this book, I think I put it in the “Not Interested” category, but now I can’t remember why. Since it is the BOTM, I’ll probably look into it again. I see the book has mixed reviews, and I’m looking forward to developing my own opinions as I read through it. Thank you all for your insightful opinions! :)
I've been on the fence as well. Have you decided whether or not to read it?
I'll suggest that you give it a shot. The objectives are addressed interestingly with each story not being more than 4-5 pages. This renders it to be a light read with the entire book being a motley of different emotional encounters.

Of course, what you make out of it finally is your decision, but solely as a book it makes for an interesting light read.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I haven’t gotten very far in this month’s book, but I can already see why some readers would find the author’s tone and ideas as off putting or arrogant. For example, on page 12 when talking about Gary, the author writes, “You might assume he had a brain-part missing until you spoke with him.” As someone with ADD, I find this statement offensive. I do not feel like I, or anyone else with a neurodevelopmental disorder, appear to have a brain-part missing until you take the time to realize we may have problems focusing. It is an insensitive and judge mental statement, and one that I am suprised to find in a book of his genre.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I totally understand that being offensive. Yuck.
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ste Brad »

This book was a page turner for me! Amazingly insightful. Because, the author had to appreciate the lessons at the time that they were learned in order to have retained them so clearly and be able to share them. Which means, even at a very young age, he could view with wisdom!
The Joy of The LORD is my strength!
:idea: :techie-reference:
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>

Post by Ste Brad »

This book was a page turner for me! Amazingly insightful. Because, the author had to appreciate the lessons at the time that they were learned in order to have retained them so clearly and be able to share them. Which means, even at a very young age, he could view with wisdom!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I really enjoyed this book and all the lessons learned from it. This was something I read and could apply several of its lessons to my life right now. I gave this novel a 5-star review on Amazon and rate it 4-stars here. I really liked that each chapter had its own focus on different lessons.
Madison Degraffenreid
DWAITHAKA
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwaithaka.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by DWAITHAKA »

it has shown how one moves from one stage to another. life is a radar and one should never be scared of to climb.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Ste Brad

Post by Ste Brad »

DWAITHAKA wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 01:21 it has shown how one moves from one stage to another. life is a radar and one should never be scared of to climb.
------not sure if i'm replying correctly but just wanted to say that that is a true statement & clever way to put it
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I wish I had noticed the comment about Gary missing part of his brain while I was reading enough to recognize how wrong it was. I'm really glad that this was pointed out because it's definitely something that needs to be called out at the end of the day. Making insensitive comments like that, especially in a book that is meant to be helpful and motivational is an egregious error on the author's part.
Ste Brad

Post by Ste Brad »

SPasciuti wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 04:24 I wish I had noticed the comment about Gary missing part of his brain while I was reading enough to recognize how wrong it was. I'm really glad that this was pointed out because it's definitely something that needs to be called out at the end of the day. Making insensitive comments like that, especially in a book that is meant to be helpful and motivational is an egregious error on the author's part.
---------------
Ya know, SP, I do not recall that scenario, for whatever reason. But I am tempted to think that if the author made some insensitive remark about the static misfortune of another, then he must've been expounding on his mental and emotional growth in terms of his perception regarding the matter or he must've been stating a patent fact; for example, 'Ben was in a near fatal accident, he hasn't been the same since, and some (maybe small town info-mill regarding his hospital stay) say he's lost half his brain (literal nerve damage from the accident, perhaps).'

Well, maybe I'll come across that section again some time but, like I say, I do not remember that in the story.

Steph👍🏻

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”