What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Post by Vickie Noel »

Well, most of these things are stuff we already know, but we can't underestimate the power of reminders and reinforcements, they do pop up right at the time we need them, since we sometimes forget, especially when in such trying situations. I've always known that life's lessons are best learned through experiences: ours and those of others, whether people we know or people we read about. I did like the quote talking about how life consists of " not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. "
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I learned that some of life's most important lessons can come in some very unexpected ways. I love the fact that there is always something that I can learn from others--no matter how successful, rich, famous, poor, or ordinary they are. Everyone has a story, and it is important to listen and learn from everyone.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I learned quite a few things from this book, most of which have already been mentioned by others.

But the biggest takeaway for me is how to write engaging short stories about ordinary lives.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that this book reminded you that there is something to be learned from anything that happens in life if we take a moment. We often say that something good comes out of something bad and this book may help you to see that.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

This is the book full of usefull life lessons. One of the best for me is the story from the chapter 10. We must believe in ourselves and we shouldn't set bounds to our possibilities and knowledge. We always can do more and better, just need to believe in that. This is what i learned before all other things.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

This book taught me to be aware that every experience I have in life, whether it is good or bad, is a chance to learn something new.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

bbowser wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 15:48 I learned that some of life's most important lessons can come in some very unexpected ways. I love the fact that there is always something that I can learn from others--no matter how successful, rich, famous, poor, or ordinary they are. Everyone has a story, and it is important to listen and learn from everyone.
This was my main takeaway as well, as I mentioned in my review. I'm sure Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar, and all the rest of the bestsellers are popular for a reason, but it's good to remember that wisdom can come from anywhere.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

There were so many life lessons in this novel that it is hard to pick just one to talk about. I really needed some of this authors inspiration. A section I highlighted that sticks out the most to me at the moment is, "sometimes it's better to allow people to make the mistake they made and just let it go, hoping that your kindness will teach a greater lesson than a scolding would." pg 23/185 Another part that hit home too, especially since I am getting ready to give birth to my first child was this quote, "a new world exists for anyone who wants it, as surely as there are different continents on this planet." I say in that I am going to be making big changes following his birth in both my home life and career to be the best mother I am capable of for him.
Madison Degraffenreid
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Lots of lessons to learned. Determination and hard work is the key to success. Sometimes the connections of prominent people contribute greatly to the success of a person.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I learned to always try to be the best version of myself. To look at the solution instead of the problem. Most of all I learned if I want my self esteem issues to change I need to start believing I’m better then I think I am. Look at my own qualities instead of dwelling on my flaws.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

AliceofX wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:23 To be honest I really can't say I learned anything. The thing that bothered me about the book is that for some people just leading a normal, boring life is a struggle, going through a day without becoming a mess is an achievement. The problem with And Then I Met Margaret is I never felt the author faced any real adversity in his life. Here I'm proud of slowly crawling out of a hole and he's talking about building castles.
Yeah, he lives in a different world from the rest of us, I think. Not many of us can just up and take racecar driving lessons on a whim, or ride airplanes just because we want to.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

DustinPBrown wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 11:31
AliceofX wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:23 To be honest I really can't say I learned anything. The thing that bothered me about the book is that for some people just leading a normal, boring life is a struggle, going through a day without becoming a mess is an achievement. The problem with And Then I Met Margaret is I never felt the author faced any real adversity in his life. Here I'm proud of slowly crawling out of a hole and he's talking about building castles.
Yes, I have to agree with you there....there are some people who do not get the kind of luck that seemed to come around to him. There was also a very strong underlying theme of having to be a huge success and money was tied in with that. :techie-studyinggray:
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

So far of the extent i've read this book, i've learnt that i should use the truth i've realized to help myself and others as well
OPgirl9122
Currently Reading: Growing Up Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by OPgirl9122 »

"By the Time, man is indeed at loss, except for those who do good deeds, advice each other to truth and advice one another to patience" -HQ. This my friend is what I believe my time in this life means and Sir Rob White, helps prove this point to me. As we look at the over-all moral of this story, the protagonist faced a series of life changing events and out of all of those events, the main point of it is how his character developed into a decent and praiseworthy person. And what made him praiseworthy? It is because of his good deeds. The way he adjusted to every situation and deals with it in a right manner. And this story is a true portrayal of ones ups and downs, and how one should pick himself from falling/making mistakes and being patient with other people's nonsense. What I really learned is You should learn to realize your potential in order for others' to realize your potential. Any way, in this life all of us are losers except for the ones who realizes ones value of living. What it really means to succeed. And a big thumbs up to this story and Sir Rob. Ingenious story.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

This book is filled with alot of life lessons. And can touch each person individually. But what caught me the most was the story on craving a lilac mint. That, there's no selected group that is entitled to succeed. And if I am to succeed it's up to me.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”