Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 468
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Official Review: Personal Encounters with Cancer

Post by Waragu Samuel »

It is a pleasure that the six people in this book have taken the courage to have their real lives with cancer documented. It is a worthwhile reading.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

It was difficult for me to even read the sample of the book. I have lost three family members to cancer. The sample begins with a scene in Tucson, which was where I lost my beloved stepfather to brain cancer. For me, talking about or even thinking about cancer is very hard, but for other it is healing. My Mom sometimes needs to talk about it. My Stepmom also needs to talk about the death of my brother, Michael. This book fits that niche. The niche of those who need to share experiences and who find comfort and commiseration in other tales that, while different, embrace the shock and the day to day experiences that those with cancer (and their loved ones) share.
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

It is truly inspirational and courageous to have people share their private fights with the dreaded disease. Illness is never a walk down the park. Thanks to the author for showing us just how much cancer can affect us all.
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim »

It's a valid information in today's life. Today cancer is rampant and threatening. Not respector or of age, status, race etc. And therefore having such content can change or educate a reader. Congrats on being BOTD
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

I have a personal grudge against cancer. My favourite aunt died from it, just when we thought it was all over, it reoccured. I long for the day cancer can be cured within a few days of the diagnosis.
Thank you Margaret Phalor Barnhart for writing this book, giving us an indepth of what cancer patients go through, and giving hope that its not the end of the world
Damorela00
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 128

Post by Damorela00 »

This motivational book is about 6 types of Cancer! Marge Barnhart tells the stories from survivors point of view to anyone who thinks any type of Cancer means death sentence. Read this wonderful book about survivors of Lung, Bladder, Metastases, Prostate, Tongue & Breast cancers
chasewithme
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chasewithme »

The author accounts for her experience with cancer and it is pretty spot-on for those who have similar experiences either personally or having it happen to a family member. The story can get quite dark if you do not take pause in the morass of details, but can be quite light reading for those who do not hunker down on the pain, but rather follow the growing optimism of the author which becomes increasingly evident after each page. It is an important book for anyone who wants to escape the darkness of cancer and listen to a survivor's tale.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Cancer encounters can be horrifying, this book could help us identify with them.
REENA BEN
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by REENA BEN »

This book is for science fields students who intend to become Doctors. It is suitable for those also who can know the worse circumstances of cancer disease.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Imagine having to suffer cancer and live to tell the story? Well, don't try to imagine this author says, the stories of the victims would open your mind to knowing how your actions, lifestyle brings you closer to it. Great review you gave this book.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Wow. These people are really brave to have shared their stories. I applaud their courage. Thanks for the review
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself. Unfortunately, the subject of cancer scares me.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Cancer is a serious disease and seeing people's strength as they go through it is definitely inspiring. Though I think it's a sensitive subject. Great review.
Teresa Rawles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teresa Rawles »

This sounds like an amazing book. It took courage for these people to share their stories. I would like to read this book because it hits home for me. I lost my mom to renal cancer, my dad to bladder and prostate cancer (not sure which cancer invaded the other), and a friend to lymphoma. There are so many that get cancer these days, it would be empowering to hear these stories from these brave people.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”