Official Review: No Judgement Allowed by Antwanette Howard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: No Judgement Allowed by Antwanette Howard

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Judgement Allowed" by Antwanette Howard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No Judgement Allowed is a non-fiction book written and compiled by Antwanette Howard. It is a collection of the real life experiences of a young woman written in the form of poems and essays.

The author vividly narrates her struggle as a homeless woman. This coupled with her dream of wanting to live a good life and what she goes through while out in the cold makes for a chilling read. Some of the essays are written like journal entries and I couldn't help but count my blessings that on that particular day, I might have been whining about something minor in my life while someone somewhere had hit rock bottom and had nowhere to turn. This raw narration greatly enriches the book.

The themes of discrimination, racism, relationships, sexual orientation, drug abuse, education and pop culture are also well tackled. It is interesting to see the author give her viewpoints on matters of governance, police brutality and terrorism. I was especially baffled to discover that the author struggled to complete this book while she was homeless. I can't imagine anyone functioning normally while in that state, let alone publishing a book.

The writing style is free verse with a little rhyme infused. This perfectly captures the chaos in the author's life at that moment. She makes a point of mentioning the encounters she had with various people and the valuable lessons she learned from them. It is also refreshing that some of the verses sounded like sincere prayers. This adds an air of spirituality to the book. Although it is not clear how she came to be on the streets, this background information would have provided insight into her previous life.

The book itself is short, at 146 pages. I however had to pause reading while only a few pages in because there were already a number of typos, grammatical errors and the persona sounded like an angry woman on a rant. Unfortunately, this was consistent throughout the book. It is ironic that while the author proclaims her love for Jesus, swear words and profanity are used several times. There are also some double negatives in sentences which might turn off readers who aren't comfortable with street language. From the PDF copy I received, the whole book contained mirror pages which was inconvenient for me. Otherwise, I had no problem reading it when I switched to mobile view.

No Judgement Allowed is a book I would recommend to anyone who's in a bad place in life and anyone who doesn't mind being transported to a different world. In it's current state, I will rate this book 2 out of 4 stars and I hope it goes through a round of editing to make it more readable.

No Judgement Allowed
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

This is a very interesting story! I love to read this. Because, I really admire people who once struggle and experienced adversities in life and yet were able to cope up and became no one to someone. In fact I heard no stories of such a "HOMELESS WOMAN" became an Author! For the first time it's only Antwanette Howard, Right? Nice review! Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

BookHausJ wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 01:57 This is a very interesting story! I love to read this. Because, I really admire people who once struggle and experienced adversities in life and yet were able to cope up and became no one to someone. In fact I heard no stories of such a "HOMELESS WOMAN" became an Author! For the first time it's only Antwanette Howard, Right? Nice review! Thanks.
I was inspired by her tenacity. Her story really stuck with me.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Lhet25
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lhet25 »

Its very interesting story..now a days have many woman do the same thing..and gain more experience
R1a2n3e4i5ss6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R1a2n3e4i5ss6 »

Its a very interesting book I like it
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

It sounds like a good read. From what you say in your review, I like the book already. I think a good editor would spruce up the book to a 4 star rating by shoving off the typos and grammatical errors. What a touching story and I certainly agree with you; writing and publishing a book whilst homeless is no easy feat.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like your use of the term "street language" for the use of double negatives and profanity. Perhaps now it could just be called "presidential." I think this was a great review and you tactfully handled giving it a lower than average review.
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

CommMayo wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 15:38 I like your use of the term "street language" for the use of double negatives and profanity. Perhaps now it could just be called "presidential." I think this was a great review and you tactfully handled giving it a lower than average review.
I tried as much as I could to avoid using the term "ghetto language". "presidential" is definitely a better fit. And a funny one too. :lol:
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Al Chakauya wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 15:26 It sounds like a good read. From what you say in your review, I like the book already. I think a good editor would spruce up the book to a 4 star rating by shoving off the typos and grammatical errors. What a touching story and I certainly agree with you; writing and publishing a book whilst homeless is no easy feat.
Thank you. This book really inspired me. Kept me wondering, what I'm doing with my life.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

It must have taken a lot of determination to complete a book whilst homeless. I love that it helps one to appreciate their blessings, many of which are easy to take for granted.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 06:21 It must have taken a lot of determination to complete a book whilst homeless. I love that it helps one to appreciate their blessings, many of which are easy to take for granted.
Thank you. It was such an eye opener.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”