Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I also found the title to be a bit misleading. I found myself waiting to meet the character Margaret because I thought the story with her must be a big turning point for Rob. In the end, it ended up very similar to the other lessons and wasn't especially unique.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

I do think that it is a misleading title, as it implies that the book is a romance novel, however I don't necessarily think that is a bad title. It really highlights how it is the most ordinary people that can impact your life in the biggest way. When you realise this the title takes on a whole new meaning.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I think the title of the book is misleading. I thought the book would be a romance novel. Even after I found out what it actually is about, I kept waiting for Margaret's story, thinking somehow that that would be the most important story in the book. But Margaret was just as important as any of the other stories- so yes, the title is a little misleading. The book is a very good read though.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

akeseh wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:25 The title is misleading because it talks about the autobiography of the author
My sentiments exactly, l think it should have been ...and Then I Found Myself
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

PriyaRD wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 23:32 Just reading the title “And then I met Margret” can mislead.. but the below description “Stories of Personal Transformation” can tell what is the book about. I am yet to read it, but will prefer reading as most of the rating given is 4.
Crazy as it may sound, before I read the book I thought it was a story about a guy who had met so many women in his love life but he eventually fell in love (met) with Margaret and his love life completely transformed.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Al Chakauya wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 13:48
akeseh wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:25 The title is misleading because it talks about the autobiography of the author
My sentiments exactly, l think it should have been ...and Then I Found Myself
I think this would've been a much better title for the book. Though I think it certainly caters to the arrogance that many of us have noticed in the author, at least it's honest? Not only to his personality, but also to the fact that he adapted himself to each lesson that the impactful people in his life taught him. I honestly really like the idea of this title.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Titles are powerful. At first glance, I thought it was such a cliché title. Clichés work sometimes but based on the story, the title seemed rushed. I thought Margaret would be the most important thing to happen but it turned out to be ordinary.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I think the title is intriguing and makes you want to know what happened when he met Margaret. But, from the opinions off all.of you that read the book, the result is disappointing despite the author's insistence that she was important.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:

Post by Al Chakauya »

Momiji1987 wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 03:49 I think the title is intriguing and makes you want to know what happened when he met Margaret. But, from the opinions off all.of you that read the book, the result is disappointing despite the author's insistence that she was important.
Maybe Margaret made a great impact in the author's life and he deeply felt it in his heart but sadly that's not what he portrayed in his book. For me the story about Margaret is a bit shallow and less endearing for my liking and it's overly distracting to make it a book title.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

I think that the authors decide the best title for the book, because they will always look at the book with a different eye. "Then I met Marget" leaves an impression that a person's life is turned upside down, everything is going a different way and then suddenly, Margaret comes into his life and changes him. :D
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I agree that initially the title appears a tad misleading. This is primarily because of our impression of this form of construction, and not because of the title itself.

Secondly, the manner in which the author arrives at the title in the introduction more than justifies the form. Like I mentioned in my review, I think finally it ends up being a very well earned title.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

Great post! I am reading it now and first what i thought is that the book is some kind of love novel, becouse of wrong title! By my opinion, definitely the author made a mistake with this title.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I have just finished reading the book and think that the title is very misleading...I also don't think that the particular story about Margaret is that significant considering the other myths and learnings of the author.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I did find the title misleading too. I can understand why the author chose it but it really doesn't let those who haven't read the book know what it's really about (without reading the sub-title).
peace starts with a smile...
Solovastru
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Solovastru »

:techie-reference: i'm also interested in this book and will for sure read it
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 02:02 Actually a big NO! The author pushed my "curiosity" button, like "why did he name the book after her?" But after he justified his reasons, I was very pleased with his answer. For me the author seemed to have used a continuous approach "... and then I met Margaret". The "and then" this expressed to me out of all people this particular person is "special", that he knew she had "hit him on the right spot" which as a result he dedicated the book to her. Actually yes she taught him a very important lesson for life.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”