Official Review: Love Is the Answer by Julienne Maguire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Official Review: Love Is the Answer by Julienne Maguire

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Is the Answer" by Julienne Maguire.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love is a complicated, abstract concept. I’m 22 years old, and I still don’t think I have that great of an idea of what love is. How could we possibly explain it to children? Love Is the Answer by Julienne Maguire is a children’s book that does just that. Inspired by the scripture verse 1 Corinthians 13:13, this picture book gives examples of love that are easy for children to relate to and then ties love back to God. Each page of the book contains a different example with an illustration that matches. The combination of the examples provides a structured way to introduce this abstract concept to children.

I enjoyed this book and thought it was a great way to introduce the concept of love to children. All of the examples of love were realistic and easy for children to understand. Most of them were things that children regularly do, so it’s easy to connect them to love. I also liked the way the author subtly introduced God into the book. This book wasn’t drenched in religion like I’ve seen with some books. I’m not usually into books with religious aspects, but I really enjoyed this one. I wouldn’t hesitate to read it to my nieces.

The illustrations in this book were excellent. They had great detail and perfectly matched the example of love given on each page. I was also pleased that the color of the page of text matched the color scheme of the illustration. Also, the formatting of the text on each of these pages was aesthetically pleasing and consistent, which is perfect for a children’s book. It was very apparent that this author paid great attention to detail.

Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the list of affirmations that the author included. It was an added bonus that could be shared with children to help them embrace God. Honestly, I think they are good affirmations for anyone. Even as an adult, I felt uplifted by them and am considering reading them at the beginning of each day.

The only problem I could possibly foresee with this book is that there isn’t a story in it. As an adult, I understand why there isn’t a story. Children, however, might not be so understanding. While this could be a problem, I definitely think it is avoidable if this book is read to children and the reader explains what the purpose of the book is.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was free from grammatical errors, and I really enjoyed all of the visual aspects. The one problem I saw with this book wasn’t really that much of a problem. It definitely wasn’t a good reason to take a whole star off, and the positive aspects of the book made up for the lack of a story. Overall, this book was a great way to introduce love to children. I would recommend it to Christian families who want to share the love of God with their children.

Love Is the Answer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

I love the book just from reading your review. God and love are the best combo and I am intrigued to find out what the book say about love. I belive the book might Nurture some more love in my heart even though it's meant for children. I find happiness in the most simplified of all things.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
bazolo
Currently Reading: Relentless Alien Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bazolo.html
Latest Review: "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch

Post by bazolo »

It's awesome, the book seems good to me and it sound true that Love is answer. Not only to children's as intended but we all can learn through. Through love we can tackle any sort of problem around us.
Latest Review: "Andalusian in Jerusalem" by Mois benarroch
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Your review was quite enjoyable to read. Religious people, especially those with children and plan to bring them up on the righteous path, would benefit from this book. .
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe that love is the universal language, whoever your God may be. Nobody can say he doesn't need love.

Lovely review, Anneloretrujillo! And the greatest of these is love.
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

This is a heartfelt book written with love and compassion. The message this book delivers along with the beautiful illustrations is powerful and everlasting. I love that the illustrations completely capture and compliment the wording. Little ones can see and are pulled into the pictures before they can read the words. A beautifully written book.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

From your informative review, it sounds like the book should be read to kids by someone who is good at communicating with the age group. This is gold in a world that encourages a self centred approach to life.
Aradi-80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aradi-80 »

Re:Official Review"Love is the answer by Julienne Maguire.
I am impressed by the captivating affirmative found in this book especially for easy way the children can get along with understanding the concept of love. I like how the reviews starts the opening remarks"love is a complicated abstract concept." It goes on by quoting the book of Corinthians 13:1-13 and this is wonderful! Love is kind and does not keep records of wrongdoing. O am happy to read the review although I feel that the book is to be recommended to anyone who feels to understand the special love of God.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Along with 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 1 Corinthians 13:13 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible, and this sounds like a brilliant book. Based on that verse alone, I can already imagine the kinds of examples this book includes. I can't afford to pay the Amazon price for such a book, but if I ever find it for less, I'll definitely get a copy.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I find Julienne Maguire's children's novel, Love Is the Answer, very exciting. It's interesting that the author grounds this story on biblical notion of love, drawing from 1 Conthians. I enjoyed the crisp review!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I can even forgive St Paul for his remarks about women for that lovely passage. Great review!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I agree we need to introduce our children to the concept of love, but I'm unsure of the fact that this doesn't have a story to it. I think that might be off-putting to children. Still, I appreciate your review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”