Official Review: Where the Viscount Met His Match

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Where the Viscount Met His Match

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where the Viscount Met His Match" by Tabetha Waite.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On the servants' staircase at Eversleigh Hall is Where the Viscount Met His Match on Christmas season of 1811. Mara Miller cringed when the heavy breakfast tray she is carrying towards the kitchen crashes on the floor in a noisy cacophony when Roarke Garrott, the heir of Lord Eversleigh stumbled upon her. Her life changes in the blink of an eye, right after the chaste peck. Together, they would sneak away to the estate, talk about the future and their dreams. Such stolen moments had been the best times of their lives - the most naive. With one twist of ugly fate, she got no choice but tread on one of the worst possible places imaginable - the workhouse. An opportunity came for her to save poor Bentley - one of the African slaves on a slave ship bound to Brazil. Under a new identity - Anna Smith, a haberdashery owner - she tries to keep the secrets of her shady past and build strong walls around herself.

Roarke Garrott, Viscount Eversleigh had been in his own personal hell for the past seven years mourning for the death of Mara Miller, the golden-haired, green-eyed girl he met at Eversleigh Hall. From the first moment he’d laid eyes on her until long after he’d thought her gone and buried, she’d haunted his heart and soul. He fled to India, to escape from his mother's matchmaking and the strictures placed upon him and his title. He strongly believes that marrying for money and social standing is ridiculous. Just when he is ready to move on, he went back to London only to find Mara Miller alive. The tangled web of lies she is weaving and the high walls she has built around herself vanished, the moment Roarke moves heaven and earth to keep her by his side.

Where the Viscount Met His Match by Tabetha Waite is a historical romance fiction with underlying themes of love, sacrifice, struggle, fear, secrets, lies, death, second chance and survival. It is published by Etopia Press. First Etopia Press electronic publication was in June 2017 with 328 standard pages, 250 words per page.

The story depicts a master-slave relationship which is not only frowned upon and gossiped during this era but also entails a higher possibility of being an outcast or disowned by kindred, and worst, condemned by the society. I admire Roarke for fighting for his love towards Mara the same way I appreciate Mara for being so strong despite the struggles she had faced when she was alone. I felt sorry for Roarke's sister, Lyra, who suffered maltreatment from his husband. Here are some highlights on 18th century: "It is prevalent under English law that a husband had the right to do whatever he wanted to his wife, even if he felt it involved ill-treatment." Married women are also deprived of any property and wealth from their husbands. Higher education was a privilege for some girls of the middle and higher social levels. Deprived of education, Mara's friend Celeste got no choice but swim in the dirt of prostitution. It's in the late nineteenth century when women's right and prohibition on slavery and servitude emerged in England. I can't help feeling pity for women during these times.

I like the flow of the story. It seems a chronicle of real people's experiences, though the author posted the disclaimer stating these are all fiction. I hail the author for the steamy love scenes with frenzied climax evenly peppered in the content. She describes them in a way reader's could feel like they are watching the erotic scenes in various stunts - live. Generally, from the book's cover to the contents, I could say that the book is professionally edited. However, I have noticed minor downsides worth mentioning. There are lots of supporting characters involve in the story apart from those names that are just mentioned. What made it confusing, is when the characters are called by their formal names and their nick names in a cocktail. A few sentences have wrong punctuation. “Surely it can wait for another time?" It should be a period (.) not a question mark (?) or it could have been "Can it surely wait for another time?" "Roarke thought the dish would go far to tempt Mara’s pallet." Palate is misspelled as pallet. I used to count words that are not necessarily repeated. The adverb "overmuch" is used 5 times while the verb "daresay" is used 4 times in this book. The presence of a few Spanish and French words could make the readers visit Mr. Google and the Thesaurus family. Those minor drawbacks I mentioned above did not degrade my rating for this book. Where the Viscount Met His Match by Tabetha Waite gains a 4 out of 4 star rating from me. Not only did I laugh and cry like a fool while reading the story but also feel thrilled. There are scenes not suitable for very young audiences. I recommend this book to all 18 years of old and above fans of historical romance genre who are open-minded to sensual elucidations.

Where the Viscount Met His Match
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. Historial Romance isn't the easier type of romance to write. But it seems like this one did well.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Whitney Marchelle wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 23:18 Great review. Historial Romance isn't the easier type of romance to write. But it seems like this one did well.
Thanks for the compliment. ♡
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Glad you liked the book so much. I do have a bit of a soft spot for historical romances...but the bad grammar, not sure I could give it a four! ;-)
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 13:30 Glad you liked the book so much. I do have a bit of a soft spot for historical romances...but the bad grammar, not sure I could give it a four! ;-)
I just give them a bend, specially if I like the book in general.

I'm in the midst of reviewing another book. How about you?
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Historical fiction, especially romance always does it for me. For the author to fully capture the true essence of that era is impressive.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Dolor wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 14:13
CommMayo wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 13:30 Glad you liked the book so much. I do have a bit of a soft spot for historical romances...but the bad grammar, not sure I could give it a four! ;-)

Off on a snowboarding trip with my husband. I'll probably pick up something new when we get back home on Wednesday.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

CommMayo wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 15:50

Off on a snowboarding trip with my husband. I'll probably pick up something new when we get back home on Wednesday.
OMG! All the way, I thought you are a man. ^_^ Sorry...

Take care and enjoy then.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 15:19 Historical fiction, especially romance always does it for me. For the author to fully capture the true essence of that era is impressive.
Thanks for leaving a piece from your mind here.

Yes, the author has done some research when she was doing this book...
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I have not read historical romance in a long time, and, according to your review, this one seems like it will not disappoint. I think I will give this book a try. Thank you for the review.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Lg_99 wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 00:23 I have not read historical romance in a long time, and, according to your review, this one seems like it will not disappoint. I think I will give this book a try. Thank you for the review.
I didn't feel disappointed reading this book. Perhaps, you won't too.

Okay, try reading and let me know your mind about it.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Great review! I have been looking for a book with this kind of storyline and I came across your review this evening! I have added the book to my 'to read' list and think I will get it from Amazon too!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

N_R wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 03:21 Great review! I have been looking for a book with this kind of storyline and I came across your review this evening! I have added the book to my 'to read' list and think I will get it from Amazon too!
I'm glad to hear this. Let me know what you think after reading the book.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thank you, I will do.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Dolor wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 17:05
CommMayo wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 15:50

Well...men can marry men in many states in America...

OMG! All the way, I thought you are a man. ^_^ Sorry...

Take care and enjoy then.

Return to “Historical Fiction”