Review by Malshi3 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Malshi3
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malshi3.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by Malshi3 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Malshi3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

International bestseller Rob White’s ‘And Then I Met Margaret’ (Mind Adventure Press, Boston, M.A) compiles 21 entertaining, enterprising and enlightening stories outlining his childhood in a small town, his professional career switches and most importantly, his personal growth. From the first page, Rob’s tale of ‘feeling that something was missing’ from his immensely successful life of big homes and fancy cars will resonate with those of us who feel or have felt such a deep void. For Rob, the urge to address this came at age 50, where he began an earnest search for gurus who could share their experience and wisdom towards solving this sense of inner emptiness…but he ended up finding it in the most unexpected and unassuming of people. For every Aunt Theresa and Uncle Fred in our lives, there’s also a Margaret. Have you found her?

The overarching theme in the book relates to seeking our purpose through ‘unexpected gurus’ to catalyze the transformational moments in our lives. Opening our eyes to the myths we hold ourselves to, Rob believes, will lead to an expansion of our awareness for the better. After reading this book, I was inspired to mentally catalogue my own ‘unexpected gurus’ and I found them in places I wouldn’t think to look twice. I found them in the student who suggested I apply for an overseas fellowship, which I successfully got into. I found them in an old friend, who saw a vacancy and thought I would be perfect for it (I was). Rob’s view that being open to change, holding oneself accountable and being receptive to the opportunities that come your way are key takeaways.

Rob White’s tales are written entertainingly and memorably, but perhaps most importantly, honestly. He recounts the agonies of self-doubt, crippling negative thoughts and how conquering these aspects showed him the limits we place on ourselves are of our own making – and therefore open to breaking. His tales of embarrassing presentations and hilarious encounters will have you alternatively cringing and grinning. For those of us who haven’t quite found it yet (guilty), this book challenges you to explore your own life journey and identify possible opportunities that were hidden all this time.

I initially thought this book would be a New Age type of read, but I was pleasantly surprised to come across down-to-earth, small town ‘fables’ which fit everyone, with their simple, folksy and honest advice. It doesn’t hurt anyone to get a ‘refresher’ course in humanity and its core values.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its forthright demeanor, wry humor and gentle reminders that humanity is rich in values. Deep down, we all have our own type of ‘And then I met…’ stories. Hang out with Rob White’s exhilarating and larger than life characters for a while. And then find your own ‘unexpected gurus.’ You won’t regret it.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Malshi3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Malshi3 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 07:31
I initially thought this book would be a New Age type of read, but I was pleasantly surprised to come across down-to-earth, small town ‘fables’ which fit everyone, with their simple, folksy and honest advice. It doesn’t hurt anyone to get a ‘refresher’ course in humanity and its core values.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its forthright demeanor, wry humor and gentle reminders that humanity is rich in values. Deep down, we all have our own type of ‘And then I met…’ stories. Hang out with Rob White’s exhilarating and larger than life characters for a while. And then find your own ‘unexpected gurus.’ You won’t regret it.
Thanks for the great review. I also enjoyed the folksy tone of the writing, as well as the author's sense of humor. I also appreciated the organization of the book, with the myth and the lesson learned for each chapter. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I did like many aspects. I hope you will check out my review. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Dudito45
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dudito45 »

BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

"I initially thought this book would be a New Age type of read, but I was pleasantly surprised to come across down-to-earth, small town ‘fables’ which fit everyone, with their simple, folksy and honest advice. It doesn’t hurt anyone to get a ‘refresher’ course in humanity and its core values."

Same here! This is such a well-written review - thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like how you emphasize the void that Rob felt in his life. If everything is going fine, we have no motivation to search for something else. You pointed that this was his motivation for discovering all these ordinary gurus and changing his focus. Nice review. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”