Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Yeah, I agree with the title being a little misleading. I actually really like this type of title, but because it reminds me of romance novels and I expect books with that title to be a bundle of fluff and love. But in the end, I understood a bit as to why the author made it like that. It's actually really nice.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

For me, the title of the book does not agree with the subject. It looks like a romance book. :techie-studyinggray:
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I agree with the romance aspect. Just at first glance with the colours of the cover and the font that the main heading was in, I thought it was a love story. The "and" confused me too - why was it in a banner on its own? The subtitle about ordinary gurus then just added to the confusion - what qualifies a person as a guru? Would Margaret think she is a guru? If a person is someone you learn from then pretty much most people would be gurus. I would have been upset if I had bought the book thinking that there would be a huge life change after meeting Margaret only to find out it was a small life lesson...
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by JadeK »

I couldn't agree more. This title made me think it would have been a romance as well. Titles are so important when it comes to any book. I think the title is what grabs a reader to even look at the book and if it really does pique their interest. I think this book would have done better to have a different title.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

Very interesting points about a possibly misleading title. It reminds me of the time when I watched Disney's Coco. Coco was a minor character.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Contrary to most of the previous posts, I think the title is superb! It is the greatest lesson of the book per Rob White. I also believe so. It is the lesson of humility from the mouth of babes. We never cease being me-people, from the cradle to the grave. It's a lesson we need to learn each day. If it's the only one we get from the book, and then Rob would have succeeded.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

I was a little disappointed myself that Margaret didn't figure more prominently. The only explanation I can think of was that, though there wasn't much to tell storywise, the revelation she triggered was more important to him than all the other anecdotes in the book.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

missiontrainer2000 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 01:49 I was a little disappointed myself that Margaret didn't figure more prominently. The only explanation I can think of was that, though there wasn't much to tell storywise, the revelation she triggered was more important to him than all the other anecdotes in the book.
Though, the revelation was important to the author, he fails to explain that in detail. And that's the reason why some of us think that the title is misleading.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Raksha Rakhecha wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 01:54
missiontrainer2000 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 01:49 I was a little disappointed myself that Margaret didn't figure more prominently. The only explanation I can think of was that, though there wasn't much to tell storywise, the revelation she triggered was more important to him than all the other anecdotes in the book.
Though, the revelation was important to the author, he fails to explain that in detail. And that's the reason why some of us think that the title is misleading.
Makes sense. I was just trying to guess at a possible motive. No one does something for no reason at all. And I liked the book as a whole, though a lot of people don't seem to.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

missiontrainer2000 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 01:49
Makes sense. I was just trying to guess at a possible motive. No one does something for no reason at all. And I liked the book as a whole, though a lot of people don't seem to.
Yeah. As a whole, the book is very good. And I think content matters more than title.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

As I was reading the book I was wondering who this person Margaret was. I have to say, up to the point where she appeared, I was getting quite frustrated with Rob due to his self-centred nature. Despite having learnt some valuable lessons upon the way, I still could not really bond with him...and then he met Margaret. I hope the lesson she taught him stays with him forever.
Readingtoon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Readingtoon »

Yeah. I think the book title is misleading. I have not read the book but had it on my to-read list because i thought from the title that the book must belong to my favorite genre which is rom-com. But the reviews i have read so far do not seem to describe a romantic comedy book, so i might unlist it.
Booklover1606
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover1606.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Booklover1606 »

I agree with you, my first impression was also that it was a romance novel. However, I don't think the author intended for it to be misleading.
suetropez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suetropez »

I haven't read the book but the title would lead me to think it was a romance novel. I do enjoy romance novels, but they are not the first ones I would gravitate toward to read. Saying that, if the title caught my attention, then I would read the synopsis to get the author's idea of the book, and I will use that as my final decision whether to read it or not.

I do agree, that some titles are purposefully misleading and done so to gain interest or sales.
S.T. Holmes
Life is a dream, reality is what you make of it. :wine:
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

When I first read the title, I like many on this forum thought that it was a romance novel. If I had not read the review that was given, I would have assumed that it was in the romance genre. I think that a different title would have made it more obvious that this book was in the non-fiction genre.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”