How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The beautiful motivational book introduces you with struggles in different phases of life. A wonderful story. I appreciate the concept of setting your goals yourself instead of following dictations.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>
Currently Reading: Uncommon Type
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by BiljanaH »

I thought it was an entertaining and motivational read. It made me reflect on my path, people I met along the way and experiences that I had. In almost every story there was something that resonated with me, be it the myths that started stories, or a person, or event described or the lessons learned. I enjoyed it.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that the idea that you can change and re-invent yourself and there are no limits to this. The idea that the universe resonates with you when you make a decision about an idea is interesting and quite in line with books like The Secret and positive thinking. I liked the story about the magic trick and the black cat....very very powerful metaphor.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

The meaning of success depends on who you ask. It varies from person to person. So it actually depends on what you think success is.

I identified the most with the author when he decided to follow his own path in life. He was supposed to be a factory worker, but went off to college. People expected him to do certain things with his life, but he did what he wanted. I have had to do just that with my life many times. I also connected with his grit and passion when he wanted to accomplish a goal. Overall, I thought he is an extremely persistent, enthusiastic, and determined human being.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I identify with the wisdom learned through ordinary circumstances.

Having learned things when I was younger, I have then passed them on to a next generation and, conversely, deliberately avoided passing on some experiences or ways I was treated. Instead I determined to treat others as I would have liked to be treated.

There are also ways that I don’t or can’t identify with the book which I find interesting.
Bob was clearly born in a very specific location and time period plus he is both male and white. I am regularly astonished at how easily he was able to ‘fall on his feet’ time and again, and I believe much of that would be related to the time period, his gender and ethnicity, as well as to his hard-working attitude and belief. He experienced opportunities then that are not available to all in all neighbourhoods, cities or countries. A good and inspiring read.
KDeLeon15
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

I grew up and currently live in a small town where a majority of jobs are factories, I remember often feeling that it was just expected that I would work at one of the factories. Along with several of my other classmates that didn't have the money to go to College. Where I am proud to say I have never been in either of these factories I have instead been working on expanding myself as an Artist.

At the time that I read this book, i was in a literal mental loop and thinking of bowing down and applying at one of the factories with the most resentment I had ever held for myself.The Chapter where he finds the book at the perfect time struck me as this was the book I needed at just that time. Reading this story I saw many myths that I did think were true to me as well and got a new appreciation for the efforts I had put in. I can't say this book changed my life but it did definitely breath new life into my passion gave me more strength, and thus I started again... It's still a long road yet ahead and will need to read this book again in the future I'm sure but I have started plans to move from my small town. Moving was something i was hesitant to do and now I know it was because I was clinging to the familiar, not the potential.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The outlook for a small kid that I was during my pre-school age was, I admit, also similar to that of Rob. I tried to make myself be freed from the small-town mentality that the locals of my town possessed. Only the not-so-scholarly were left behind to relive the traditional regimen of pastoral living. Like Rob, I was absorbed by the school where I studied mainly because my ability to teach was discovered as I substituted for absent professors.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Aunt Theresa is my life story. Maybe one day my nephews will write about me.
kazira antonnette
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by kazira antonnette »

the book reminds me of the struggles of life this is a real-life story and I know so many people are touched and they reflect on the real-life situation
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:28 It was a good time for me to read it, as I'm in the midst of a fair bit of change in my life right now, some of it a bit scary. I feel I'm taking risks that a few years ago I wouldn't have had the courage to take. So a lot of it did resonate with me. The idea you should be true to yourself and your own ideals, not follow the path that seems set out, or the easy path. Go with what you want, work at it, and if it doesn't work out as well as you hoped, look for the good in the situation, what you do have, and what you've achieved.
Wow Fergie. This comment has made me want to read this book. I've been questioning some of my decisions and viewing them negatively, especially going to University because I am from a humble background. This book sounds like it could put me in the right frame of mind to complete my studies despite the struggles.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think I identify most with a lot of the fears, to be honest. I'm not a huge risk taker and resultingly don't often go out and trust that I'm capable of succeeding in business-like ways. It's funny, because his story about living in a dingy cheap apartment and saving money sounded very much like myself. I wish his stories had resonated with me more so that I'd feel confident in addressing some of these play it safe fears, but I don't think it did. I prefer the safe route. I have others in my life taking the risks so it seems rather terrifying for us both to do it.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Even Rob admits that wealth alone is not success. I've had ups and downs in my life, too. Outwardly, in terms of my bank account and my lifestyle, I may have regressed. But inwardly, I'm the most peaceful I've ever been. That is the success I'd choose every time. And I don't think Rob meant otherwise.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I was more receptive to the stories of White's childhood. I have seen how people settled for less because they think the world doesn't go beyond the mountains of their village and what they have is all there is to life.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I did not relate to any of the story on a personal level. I have never believed in any of the myths he identified and I have never had the desire to have great wealth or notable success. All I want in life is happiness and I do not need to go out and prove myself to others to achieve that.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I was reading this book when I was offered an opportunity that meant digging up skills I hadn't used for a while. Normally I would have turned it down straight away, but this time I gave it a go - we can be a lot smarter than we think we are, was the inspiration. Investigating the options taught me a lot. In the end I didn't take it up because of time constraints, but I know now that if I want to, I can. Thanks Rob

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”