Official Review: The Girl from the Tower, a Journey of Lies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: The Girl from the Tower, a Journey of Lies

Post by gaporter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl from the Tower, a Journey of Lies" by Joanna Giangardella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl from the Tower, A Journey of Lies is a memoir by Joanna Giangardella about being delivered from a loving family living in near crushing poverty during the aftermath of the Greek civil war into the hands of wealthy, abusive adoptive parents in the United States as a young girl. This book describes a heartbreaking case of physical, emotional, and hints at sexual abuse experienced by the author from the age of 9. While the descriptions of abuse are never graphic, this book may not be appropriate for sensitive readers.

This book may not appeal to readers looking for an action-packed story. Girl from the Tower is more of a collection of memories than a traditional story; it only loosely follows a direct timeline. The chapters jump back and forth between biographical sketches of her family members left behind in Greece and the progress of her life passing in America. The time jumping and lack of dates may be hard to follow for some readers. This did not bother me in the beginning because it was like an authentic way of recounting memories only half-remembered from a difficult childhood. However, I thought that more concrete dates and a clearer description of the passage of time would have been more appropriate towards the end of the book, when she is an adult.

I do recommend Girl from the Tower to readers interested in modern Greek history. This book does not dive into a detailed analysis of the Greek wars and Turkish occupation, but enough historical context is offered to understand the lasting impact on daily life in the poor village. I particularly enjoyed the anecdotes about the history of the small villages (though much of it is tragic), such as the story of the Dance of Death that took place in the village of Ierissos. I definitely have a much better understanding now of Greek history over the last two hundred years than I did prior to reading this book.

I liked the style of narration that Joanna Giangardella uses in the book. The tone is very simple and understated, as though the author is simply retelling the events as they happened, rather than attempting to spin something poetic. This is not to say that the writing is boring or plain, however. This straightforward approach is very effective in conveying the misery, heartache, and relief in each scene. The love felt for the lost family members is poignant in the chapters dedicated to their memories.

Overall, I give The Girl from the Tower, a Journey of Lies 3 out of 4 stars. The book was very well edited and I did not find any typos or grammatical errors. The simple writing style mixed with the heavy subject matter allows for either quick or lengthy reading, whichever the reader prefers (the book is only about 171 pages long). This book is both educational and emotional, which makes for a wonderful reading experience.

The Girl from the Tower, a Journey of Lies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What a moving review! These disturbing and somehow distorted memories of a nine year old girl are definitely a page turner.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 09 Jan 2018, 04:41 What a moving review! These disturbing and somehow distorted memories of a nine year old girl are definitely a page turner.
Thank you. I agree, it was easy to become invested in the book.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Again another unfortunate victim of war. Children are especially affected.

Thanks, Gaporter, for a moving review!
Emmanuel+bola
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel+bola »

What a touching and interesting story,Thevgirl from the tower,a journey of lies.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review you really did it justice, interesting story it seems
ryssie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ryssie »

Im so interested to read this whole story. The title gave me a heartbeat.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

It just your nice review that would make me decide to read this book. Hope I can find time for this one. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
gaporter
Currently Reading:

Post by gaporter »

BookHausJ wrote: 13 Jan 2018, 01:12 It just your nice review that would make me decide to read this book. Hope I can find time for this one. Thanks for the review!
Thank you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

For some reason, I'm not really into Greek history. That and the fact that this only loosely follows a time line makes me think that I should pass on this one. I do appreciate the effort it took to write the book, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”