Review by aphil -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aphil
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphil.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by aphil -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by aphil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks; A Physician’s Advice, by Morton E. Tavel MD, is a non-fiction, health reference book. It covers an abundance of health topics in a very comprehensive fashion, all supported with various scientific studies. I give this book a 3 out of 4 rating because it is a helpful reference book that is delightfully presented. Many prestigious medical journals, medical schools and scientific studies are referenced throughout the book, matched with the doctor’s own professional advice. This lends much credibility to the information being presented.

I like that the book gives many helpful health facts the reader can apply, and how at the end of each chapter there is guidance and tips. Also, despite the fact that the author is a medicinal doctor, he does promote the use of healthy foods above the use of medicine, for achieving better health. The various health topics are addressed in a professional manner, yet the friendly and lighthearted tone used by the author, allows the reader to enjoy the reading as well.

The overwhelming amount of information presented, is one take away from the book. Although it is broken into well-constructed sections, it could have been broken down into two separate books. The author himself admits that he is doubtful that anyone will read the book as a reading book, straight through, but that it is intended to be a reference book wherein the reader finds what they are searching for in the table of contents.

Another take away is, not all the conclusions seemed sound to me. For example, how the author put organic foods on equal par with GMO and conventional foods, and how he found no issue with the electromagnetic fields emitted from Wi-Fi. Either the conclusions were made with outdated information, or the doctor is in denial.

Still, the many health topics covered made for excellent reading and some new discoveries. The usual hot button topics were covered, like how meat affects the body; safety concerns for fish and shellfish; the benefits of chocolate, wine, regular exercise and adequate sleep; and the safety concerns surrounding GMO foods, E cigarettes, smoke inhalation, sunscreen and unnecessary medical tests. A large emphasis was placed on hypertension, due to the grand numbers of lives taken by its resultant woes; including foods to avoid and those to include in the diet and how to manage the medicines required.

I was left with the conclusion that the solution is all things in moderation. I get the desire of Dr. Tavel to alleviate people’s fears when facing illness and the choice on how to better achieve healing; through either alternative or medicinal means. He presented the facts, yet his summaries did lean toward his medicinal background. He often stated that alternative supplements and herbal remedies were unproven by studies; yet, we all know the reality of side effects and addictions caused by medicines that have been proven by studies. The book contains great information and references that will grace anyone’s home library and allow the reader to reach informed decisions.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aphil's review? Post a comment saying so!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This book has such varied reviews - thanks for writing this. I think that it does sound like a good book to get more of an idea or review of your health.
aphil
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphil.html

Post by aphil »

Your welcome. It is a great book for people who want to learn more about their health
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

aphil wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 03:38 [Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was left with the conclusion that the solution is all things in moderation. I get the desire of Dr. Tavel to alleviate people’s fears when facing illness and the choice on how to better achieve healing; through either alternative or medicinal means. He presented the facts, yet his summaries did lean toward his medicinal background. He often stated that alternative supplements and herbal remedies were unproven by studies; yet, we all know the reality of side effects and addictions caused by medicines that have been proven by studies. The book contains great information and references that will grace anyone’s home library and allow the reader to reach informed decisions.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aphil's review? Post a comment saying so!

I recently reviewed this book and concur with your review. And, what a great point about the awful effects of certain medicines that are studied and widely approved. Great review. Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your conclusion that the book is chock-full of information. You point out that the author speaks negatively about some subjects that are proven (GMO, electromagnetic fields, etc. I wondered about that, too. You make many good points in our review. Thanks.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I love your simplified review. Also, the fact that Health tips, Myths, and Tricks overlap with each other makes the book easy to read and understand.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”