What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Re: What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Post by Lebs »

First of all, its okay to fail and start again. Secondly, always take note of who is around you and what they have to offer, you do not realise the lessons you can miss because you're not paying attention.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Often times, one benefits from hearing/reading some lessons of life over and over again. Rob White's line, "You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails" speaks to me in more ways than one.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I learnt that the company we keep define who we are and also determine the degree of faith we have in ourselves.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Rob White narrated, "Stand for what I believe, and I have the Power to persist." This is a very striking message for me. No matter how challenging comes your way, (adversities, hindrance, pain, struggle etc) if you just believe no reason you can not achieve a Dream. This is what I've learned. Keep on Dreaming and Believing, then one day all Dreams will come true.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
brian360
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by brian360 »

I learned that with hard work no matter where you are from or background dreams are always achievable even if it takes a long period of time.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

AliceofX wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:23 To be honest I really can't say I learned anything. The thing that bothered me about the book is that for some people just leading a normal, boring life is a struggle, going through a day without becoming a mess is an achievement. The problem with And Then I Met Margaret is I never felt the author faced any real adversity in his life. Here I'm proud of slowly crawling out of a hole and he's talking about building castles.

Ditto - it may just be my frame of mind but I thought he was starting to taunt me with his real-estate money while yours truly can't even get a lowly admin job. :roll:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Most of the pieces of advice and teachings in the book could be gleaned from platitudes, ethical standards, moral norms and usual rules for decent behavior, encountered as we grow up. The book seemed to have just restated these to our attention. And one other thing we have forgotten to consider is the fact that while we convey something to people, they also have their own agenda playing in their minds. And to grab a part of their attention is paramount if you have to impart some lesson to them. And here, Margaret exemplified that part.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

From this book, I learned the value of consistent hard work and belief in one's ideals. It is also impressive how the author went on to implement the various lessons he learned along the way.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Like you, I selected to read and review it in December, and I agree it was a great selection to read when a new year was coming. Rob White is so positive and enthusiastic.

I took a lot from the book. The main lessons I learned were to believe in my self with optimism, dream big, and work with passion and grit.

I am glad that you also had a great experience reading And Then I Met Margaret.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

My main take away from the book was to be kind and generous to everyone. You never truly know the full impact that you have on others.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think I learned the important lesson that even what we think may be going to be a minor chance encounter with a complete stranger, could actually really change your life. Pay attention to those you meet, because sometimes they have an important life lesson to teach you.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that the thing that really struck out for me was about being fearless in the world and not limiting yourself. There was a strong message about the fact that you hold yourself back from many things in life and there is a lot to be said for positive affirmations and being very real with yourself.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Personally, I did not see any new lessons emanating from me reading the book, but I got reinforcements for lessons I have learnt in life before. Paramount to this notion is that you can learn something from unexpected ordinary random 'Gurus' you meet in life, even in unexpected places.
Tj_baller
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4484">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Tj_baller »

What I learned is that there is something to be learned from the people you meet and through that, you can develop your own wisdom.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:46 I think my main take-away from it - although there were many great lines, as Sahani says above - is to be very aware of the people around you in life and the lessons they can all teach. That lessons may come quite randomly from someone you don't know well, or bump into in a shop. You don't need lifestyle gurus and expensive courses in motivation and how to live, just look at those around you and keep your eyes and mind open. When I think about the people in my own life, there are constant examples of people who've done really well, often against adverse circumstances, because they've kept going and kept cheerful. And others who are endlessly negative and show how not to live life.
Well said, Fergie. It seems we have more in common than our avatar, LOL. No book can answer all life's questions. (Even the Bible fails in that aspect because we don't read it often enough or heed its lessons.) Some unhappy readers say hard work alone isn't enough to succeed. True, but that doesn't mean hard work isn't necessary.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”