Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Re: Should there be a sequel?

Post by KlareAllison »

No, a sequel will not be appropriate for Rob White's And Then I Met Margaret. As has been pointed out by someone, the book is categorized as autobiography/memoir and thus, a sequel might seem odd.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

Motivational and self-help books are always inspiring to me. But I think it's more appropriate to have another book of this kind written instead of having a sequel of it.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Well, maybe a stand alone book. I think if the Author will write a book about Real Estate business we can Learn a lot from him. Because it's not easy to become successful in this kind of business. Rental, Development at the same time, Rob White can do that. Hope one day he can conduct seminar about Real Estate Business.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I don't think there should be a sequel. This was pretty good by itself, and yes I was curious about the other characters, I don't think I would want an entire book regarding them.
brian360
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by brian360 »

I don't think there should be a sequel because the author explains his personal life experience and how he met different people.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

No I don't think that a sequel is needed, this is just the right length and advice.
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kjoan »

If the author chose write a sequel, I think it should be about another way to view success other than through material wealth. Something like self-leadership or growing character. That said I don't see him either having that perspective or being interested in writing from it.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reviewer Book
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-book.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Reviewer Book »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 13:05 I don't see how that could come about. The book is almost an autobiography of sorts, and autobiographies don't have sequels. I saw it as a story about how one person's character and opinions were formed throughout his life. It's about growing up, in a sense. I don't see where you could go from there.
I agree that a traditional sequel would not make much sense, although the author may have more to share in the form of a second book.
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:21 I don't think there should be a sequel about the official gurus, because the book wasn't about them. It was almost the opposite of that - about learning from the surprising, unlikely people you meet everyday. That said, it's pretty clear the author is a self help, motivational guru himself, which makes it an odd kind of book. If anything, I think the chapters in the books could be expanded, as some of them could almost be novels in themselves. The chapter where he's growing up and they're all walking like their fathers, but then he breaks away for example, almost feels like a plot synopsis for a coming of age novel!
Expanding on one or more chapters rather than a traditional sequal could be interesting
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

Emie Cuevas wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 23:28 There is always something new to learn, from anybody about anything. I think a sequel is a good idea, especially if the author listens to what his readers said about the book, and writes it to suit them.
Very good point! If the author really does heed the readers, a second book could be promising.
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:49 Perhaps not a sequel but another motivational book by this author would be great. I think though he must do a better job at editing to minimise the errors
I would hope that after seeking reviews, the author would heed the thoughts of his readers. If his work needs more editing according to those who read this first book, then I hope he keeps this in mind.
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

pinklover wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 05:04
Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:49 Perhaps not a sequel but another motivational book by this author would be great. I think though he must do a better job at editing to minimise the errors
I agree with your idea. Another motivational book to inspire different people. His story is common but not as the same as him. Just a similar alike. :D
Another motivational book could work, as long as it isn't too far reaching or too redundant, since he's already written this one.
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

Sincerely wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 07:28 Another motivational/inspirational book sounds great, am not sure a sequel could work considering the genre of the book.
Agreed! At least not I'm the traditional sense of a sequel
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

kjoan wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 03:15 If the author chose write a sequel, I think it should be about another way to view success other than through material wealth. Something like self-leadership or growing character. That said I don't see him either having that perspective or being interested in writing from it.
That would be a great concept, and one I would enjoy reading. But I agree that it doesn't seem quite fitting for him.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

That is one of the great things about books. When they tell the story they want to tell, they always leave room for more stories about side-characters or other books set in the same world.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”