Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by nadiadeana »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 11:29 I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.
It does seem pretty random. I usually like titles with a deeper meaning. But on the other hand, despite Margaret's section of the story not being the most touching or impactful, to the author it may be just that.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I don't think the book title is misleading, because I got no hint of romance when I first saw the book. Thinking of it now though, another title would have been better
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I disagree. I like titles that don't give away the story. Besides, most readers look at an overview or summary before beginning a book. I think this title is intriguing, and it does have something to do with his character's development.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

I can see how some people think the title is misleading; however, I don't think it is. He said that Margaret taught him a very important lesson in life. Before Margaret, he believed that to be rich is someone who has had the most materialistic things in life, but because of that little girl in the red dress, he now knows that experiencing life is much more than having all of the fanciest things in life, or having the most attention, it's feeling grateful for what you have. To me, that is a very valuable lesson, possibly on of the most valuable he's learned in this book.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

I think the book title was misleading and deliberately so- to convey the idea of a love story and to bank on that appeal marketing wise. However, I think this steals from the other more defining and fascinating encounters in the book, especially my favourite- the Maasai mother.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Hi there,

I think it wasn't necessarily misleading, but it wasn't the best choice. I agree that The Maasai Mother was a great story (for me, the best) and should have been honoured by being the book's title.

When writing a book of stories, fiction or nonfiction, you've got to make sure the story that reflects the major theme is the title story, I guess, so for the author presumably the story featuring Margaret (though he's titled it differently in the book!) is that lead story.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Though the name of the novel slightly deviates from the story but it makes the book title light and delight ☺. So I have no issue with this title.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Much as the book title seems misleading, it points to what left the biggest impression on the author; an ordinary girl. Her singular action may not be remarkable to us but when one puts his feet in the author's shoes, it proves to be an unsettling experience. Not many would take it positively.

The title may also serve as a selling point for the book. It would prevent the material from competing with so many other motivational books once in the shelf.
christie_lynn33
Currently Reading: Success with Goals
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by christie_lynn33 »

If you could change the title, what would you change it to? I'm honestly curious. I just started an account so I'm going to read this book soon but I would like to know what you think would better suit the book. When I finish, I will also say what I think would be a better title for the book.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I think think the author was brilliant in naming the title as he did. It got everyone talking about his book. Although, like others I thought it was a romance story as well.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

I haven't read the book yet but I agree to some extent that the title is misleading. The initial thought is that the book is a romance novel. But upon knowing it's a non-fiction that details the author's personal transformation, one may just be left confused. However, I believe the author has his own justifiable reason for titling his work as such.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Prottasha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prottasha »

I don’t think the book tittle is misleading :D
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

You maybe correct. As far as I am concern the title of the book has a little significance to the story of Margaret. But that's the way it is. The Author is really creative. Remember he himself is a Businessman? Before he wrote it, one thing he should do is to think about how he can bring the Book to the Market. That's why, He think of something that the Market should really talk about. Even to the point of making the title a little related to the story of the Author. But the good thing is, the book is really Inspiring!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Who the cabbage is Margaret, anyway? She is only the character who made him realize how uninteresting his lectures were when the things he said did not cater to the desires of the audience. And to make a lecture desirable, It has to be tailored to the audience, i.e., talking of his business ideas to a bunch of kids is not the way to go.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
brian360
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by brian360 »

I think is misleading because it explains how the author encountered many different people in his life until he met one particular person that changed everything

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”