Official Review: Gangs and the Military by Carter F. Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Gangs and the Military by Carter F. Smith

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gangs and the Military" by Carter F. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How much do you know about gangs? Are they a big problem where you live? What about gangs within the military? Do you think about the consequences of having a military trained gang member in society?

In his book Gangs and the Military, Carter Smith seeks to answer those questions and more. In an unbiased manner, he hopes to prove that gangs and military trained gang members are a serious problem. He then offers some suggestions on what to do about the problem.

The book starts off with an examination of the history of gangs both in and out of the military. Evidence is then given that there are active gang members in the military in contemporary times. The author then examines measures taken to rectify the gang problem. Finally, Mr. Smith takes a look at the issues that are faced when gang members exit the military and take their knowledge and experience with them.

One of the incidences cited in the book was the murder of two innocent civilians in Fayetteville, NC in December of 1995. Three military men were involved in a white supremacist group and wanted to make a statement. Not being able to find a synagogue, they stumbled across two African Americans in the wrong place at the wrong time. They became the victims in this hapless gang shooting.

The author does a great job at presenting evidence to back up the idea that gangs are a problem in the military. He uses many different resources and cites them accordingly. The notes are located in the back of the book for further study if one is so inclined.

Much of this evidence is in the manner of reports and surveys. While complete, it became a bit redundant after the first few reports. The author gives each report and survey separately. This causes one's eyes to glaze over. It would have been much more striking to the average reader to have this data compiled.

I did, however, enjoy the history Mr. Smith gives of gangs. Although focused in the US, the examination starts off in the 1600s and proceeds forward chronologically. To me, this was the most fascinating part of the book as I am unfamiliar with gangs.

As with the reports, though, this information seems to be repeated unnecessarily. The incident mentioned above taking place in Fayetteville, NC was discussed on page 53, 75 and in the Afterword. It is possible the author did this for emphasis; however, it's done so often as to negate any possible emphasis. If that was the author’s goal, he should do so only sparingly.

The recommendations the author gives to deal with this situation seem practical and possible. I am not involved in the government or military, though. For my part, the thought of any kind of terrorist group (street gang or hate group) having a member that is former military terrifies me. Therefore, I hope the right people see this book and use some of the ideas presented to alleviate this problem.

Overall, I rate Gangs and the Military 3 out of 4 stars. The author presents the information in a straightforward and accessible way. However, this book is for a niche audience, and there is some duplication of information which prevents a perfect score. For those interested in gangs, the military or involved in law enforcement or policy making, this would be a great source of knowledge.

Gangs and the Military
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Interesting concept. I have wondered if the gang power would extend to the military; it seems like it does. I like when an author has evidence to back up their claims, and I want to know more about this issue. This looks like my kind of book. Thank you for the review; I found it really helpful.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I was looking at picking up this book, but it was restricted to those living in the US so I had to pass. Based on your review, I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed it anyway, so no big loss. Great review as usual.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This book is an interesting concept. I haven't really thought much of the number of gangs in the military or their implications. It's great to hear that the author does a nice job in presenting the evidence to back up the thought of gangs being a problem in the military. I think the repetitiveness, and the just the concept in general would not be of interest to me, but it's great that the information was both straightforward and accessible. Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lg_99 wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 00:57 Interesting concept. I have wondered if the gang power would extend to the military; it seems like it does. I like when an author has evidence to back up their claims, and I want to know more about this issue. This looks like my kind of book. Thank you for the review; I found it really helpful.
He definitely gives lots of information, so if it interests you, this would be a good place to start. He also has links for further information if you want to do even more research!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 02:31 I was looking at picking up this book, but it was restricted to those living in the US so I had to pass. Based on your review, I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed it anyway, so no big loss. Great review as usual.
It's definitely not for everyone, but it was fairly interesting. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

hsimone wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 03:11 This book is an interesting concept. I haven't really thought much of the number of gangs in the military or their implications. It's great to hear that the author does a nice job in presenting the evidence to back up the thought of gangs being a problem in the military. I think the repetitiveness, and the just the concept in general would not be of interest to me, but it's great that the information was both straightforward and accessible. Thank you for the insightful review!
Thanks hsimone! I really hadn't thought of it before this book either, but I can definitely see how it would be a problem. It's just not something that necessarily everyone needs to read. I do hope the right people do something about it, though!
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 09:07
kislany wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 02:31 I was looking at picking up this book, but it was restricted to those living in the US so I had to pass. Based on your review, I'm not so sure I would have enjoyed it anyway, so no big loss. Great review as usual.
It's definitely not for everyone, but it was fairly interesting. Thanks for commenting!
Coming back to my review, I've just realized how offputting I probably sounded when I said 'based on your review' (not my intention at all!!!). I basically meant that the book details don't seem to attract my attention because the genre is not one that I would probably enjoy, not that your review was not interesting (just in case it sounded that way!) :oops:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

No, I completely understood that! No need to explain. I wasn't offended. As I said in my review, this is definitely for a niche audience.
—Neil Gaiman
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

This is definitely interesting topic, especially with the recent rise in white supremacy related cases of violence. To be able to look at the roots of it, enables us to understand it better and I'm glad, according to your review, the author shows how it can be alleviated and prevented. Thank you for the detailed review, it is definitely one I am going to dig into.
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

this is really an interesting book and I think is one of the best book ever.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lebs wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:43 This is definitely interesting topic, especially with the recent rise in white supremacy related cases of violence. To be able to look at the roots of it, enables us to understand it better and I'm glad, according to your review, the author shows how it can be alleviated and prevented. Thank you for the detailed review, it is definitely one I am going to dig into.
You're definitely right. This is becoming more and more of an issue. Something needs to be done. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review, sounds like it is definitely a book to keep you thinking. Not too sure offhand what is meant by gangs within the military but I am sure I would find out if I read the book!!
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

This book I am very sure will be a book that will keep you on the go
Thank to the author
carterfsmith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by carterfsmith »

Boypnet1 wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 05:22 This book I am very sure will be a book that will keep you on the go
Thank to the author
Thank you for reading the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”