Official Review: Out of Darkness by M A Richards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Out of Darkness by M A Richards

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of Darkness" by M A Richards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brian Porter used to have friends, a normal body size, and a spot in his family. When he was nine, his family dog bit him and ballooned him up to what could only be called “morbidly obese.” Since his weird allergic reaction to a dog bite, his friends turned into bullies and his family started hiding him from the rest of the world, leaving him out of family photos and making him stay home while they go on vacations. It’s during one such vacation that Brian is dared to go inside an old abandoned house, but he doesn’t come out the same as when he entered.

Out of Darkness is not your typical YA paranormal novel. Richards obviously put a lot of thought into his monsters, giving them entirely new histories and backgrounds. What starts out as a silly, “Oops, I got bitten by a werewolf,” story soon thickens into prophecies and betrayal. The reader is taken on an emotional rollercoaster ride, laughing one minute and empathizing with the characters the next.

The thing I most enjoyed about this novel was the character interaction. Each character was well thought-out and had a purpose in the overall plot of the novel, and it was so interesting to see how they all worked together. Brian especially has a few laugh-out-loud lines directed towards other characters, which makes him easily likeable to both the reader and other characters.

The one thing I do think could use some improvement was the writing style. Admittedly, it is very fitting for a YA novel, but I would have liked a little more description throughout the novel. Actually, I thought the pace of the novel was quite fast, and that the author definitely could have included more of Brian’s everyday lifestyle after getting bitten without boring the reader. I felt like he barely had time to get used to one thing before another new and exciting thing came up.

Since the novel’s pace was so fast and the novel itself is so short, I felt like I was missing part of the overall story. Despite that, I truly enjoyed the novel and am looking forward to the sequel, whenever it may come out. For these reasons, I give Out of Darkness 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to YA readers who would enjoy a twist on their favorite supernatural stories.

Out of Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good read to me. I love young adult novels. I think I might put this one on my list. I also love how the author gives the monsters some uniqueness. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book is perfect for a teen audience because the supernatural genre is HUGE right now in the publishing industry. I also like how it shows him as someone who is bullied and I hope the author addresses the matter for an audience who may understand how Brian feels. The premise of the story seems interesting and I'm sure readers are going to enjoying reading the story.

Great Review! :character-count:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good read to me. I love young adult novels. I think I might put this one on my list. I also love how the author gives the monsters some uniqueness. Thanks for the review!
Awesome! If you ever get around to reading it, please let me know what you think as well! I love to hear other readers' opinions on the same book! :D

-- 11 Apr 2017, 18:13 --
Amagine wrote:This book is perfect for a teen audience because the supernatural genre is HUGE right now in the publishing industry. I also like how it shows him as someone who is bullied and I hope the author addresses the matter for an audience who may understand how Brian feels. The premise of the story seems interesting and I'm sure readers are going to enjoying reading the story.

Great Review! :character-count:
I agree! I was in the perfect mood for a supernatural book, and this hit the spot!
Thank you for your kind words. :D
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This sounds like a unique take on a pretty standard type of story. Fun!
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

CarrieMe wrote:This sounds like a unique take on a pretty standard type of story. Fun!
Indeed! Is it the kind of book you would give a try to?
MaryGKING
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MaryGKING »

The plot is very interesting since it all started with a normal situation where everything is perfect until you got yourself bitten by a dog. Where the interesting part started when people you thought would always be there for you turns out to be the people who will drag you down instead of lifting you up. Comfort and support are the most important factor when you were faced in such situations where you needed the people who really loves you to be there for you.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

You really did a great job selling this book. Thank you for the great review.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Jaime Lync wrote:You really did a great job selling this book. Thank you for the great review.
Thank you for the kind words! :mrgreen:
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I am big on YA or adult paranormal books. This book sounds like one I need to add to my reading list. I think that it is interesting how he had an allergic reaction to a dog bite. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
DesireeT
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DesireeT »

Sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

christinac_2585 wrote:I am big on YA or adult paranormal books. This book sounds like one I need to add to my reading list. I think that it is interesting how he had an allergic reaction to a dog bite. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
And thank you for your review of my review! :mrgreen: (Say that 5 times fast!)
If you ever get around to finishing the novel, please let me know what you think of it! Whether it lived up to your expectations or not, etc.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Wow. I love this review. Thank you so much for it. The mere mention of the fact that this boy is beaten by a dog already invited me to read the book. Its such a normal situation but leads to greater mysteries to be uncovered and am definitely interested.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A boy gains weight due to an allergic reaction to a dog bit, werewolves, and an emotional roller coaster ride? Count me in! Sounds like a unique spin on paranormal. I think I will read the book as I was taken in by the premise. Too bad the author didn't include more of Brian’s everyday lifestyle after getting bitten, but maybe he will do so in the sequel. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dacrazycritter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dacrazycritter.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by dacrazycritter »

Thanks for reviewing this book. Your review has sparked an interest in this book. I do enjoy reading anything to do with werewolves and monsters, :) and having read your detailed review I added it to my reading list

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”