Official Review: Charles' Story by Steven Wilkens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Charles' Story by Steven Wilkens

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charles' Story" by Steven Wilkens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do a young reporter, an old man, and a 1936 Auburn 852 Boattail Speedster have in common? Steven Wilkens has woven an amazing epic saga in Charles’ Story showing just how those things come together. From the beginning to the end, I was engaged and fascinated by wonderful characters and experiences.

Karen Snow is a small-town reporter who is fascinated by the mysterious philanthropy occurring around town. She learns that Charles Henderson McCormick, a local retired businessman, is behind the gracious gifts that are helping the town businesses, churches, and more. Her journalistic curiosity makes it impossible to not seek out the story. McCormick agrees to share his story, on his own terms. The Auburn connects these two in ways that no one can see coming, taking the two of them on an incredible journey.

Charles has deep secrets that hurt people in so many ways. Karen’s desire is to learn “who” Charles is, not just in the present, but in the past. Charles is not sure he is ready to share all, as trust comes hard for him. What will happen if he does? How much should he share?

The various forms of love play a significant role in Charles’ Story. The love between friends, between family, as well as between man and woman. Charles life was rife with love lost for the wrong reasons. His hope is that Karen learns from his experiences. Love and the impact of not prioritizing the people that you love are seen throughout the story. Does life have to be full of regrets, or can it culminate in something else? Watching Karen and Charles explore the different forms of love makes the reader explore it in themselves, as you experience their emotions. I felt these emotions as I read, which made me want to know more about these people.

Some parts of the story are predictable, but there are many surprises along the way, especially as the story comes to a close. The culmination of the journey was not quite what I expected, but I was happy to see it. Answers to questions are clear, without any cliffhangers.

What I found difficult were the number of grammar errors, as well as a few spelling errors. For example, “arraignments” instead of “arrangements,” “Armarillo” for “Amarillo,” and “form” instead of “from.” Punctuation was often missing. The errors did occasionally get in the way of the flow of the story.

I rate Charles' Story 3 out of 4 stars. Watching the relationships unfold was interesting, as was the journey of life. Readers who enjoy watching people evolve as they explore their lives will enjoy this story. If it had not been for the grammar and spelling errors, this would have had a 4-star rating. Karen and Charles's journey is not just about the places they travel, but what they learn about themselves along the way.

Charles' Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I believe I too have something to learn from Charles experience. According to the review, the book seem to revolve around the topic on "trust" and whom to trust. I believe we all need this to learn accordance to the way how this world is heading. Good review and thank you for highlighting the points out.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the grammatical errors as well as the predictability. Still, it sounds like an interesting story. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like the idea of learning from someone's experience. Thank you for your review on this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Gramatical errors while reasig such a interesting novel can be very irritating. The book sounds amazing with a twist of love-story. Thanks for the review.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 09:55 It's too bad about the grammatical errors as well as the predictability. Still, it sounds like an interesting story. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review.
The predictability was not overwhelming and there were plenty of surprises :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The story and surprise twists sound interesting, but the grammatical and spelling errors would annoy me. Hopefully, the author will use a good editor the next time around.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This sounds interesting! I'm curious though, what time period does it take place in? It sounds very 40s-50s noir/mystery.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 15:16 This sounds interesting! I'm curious though, what time period does it take place in? It sounds very 40s-50s noir/mystery.
It's contemporary, they use smartphones. However, Charles does talk about his past and coming of age in the 40s.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mtsweni Nelsy wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:38 Gramatical errors while reasig such a interesting novel can be very irritating. The book sounds amazing with a twist of love-story. Thanks for the review.
The errors can be irritating, but overall, it was a good story.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting story. I like how you stress that it is about all the different kinds of love that a person experiences throughout their life. The grammatical errors would have totally driven me to distraction though...
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a fascinating journey showcasing the different varieties of love, and how important it is to prioritize those we love. It's a shame the editing was poor; I don't like reading things with too many errors.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

As I gather from your review, the love between Charles and Karen could be a sort of a matured love, or a love blooming in "off-season" that was circumstantial, or a love with utilitarian purposes. Among other things, it could be construed as a ploy by Karen to win the confidence of Charles, hence, to pry much more deeply into the personality of Charles. Whichever way, this book will be an interesting read. Thanks for your splendid review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 19:01 As I gather from your review, the love between Charles and Karen could be a sort of a matured love, or a love blooming in "off-season" that was circumstantial, or a love with utilitarian purposes. Among other things, it could be construed as a ploy by Karen to win the confidence of Charles, hence, to pry much more deeply into the personality of Charles. Whichever way, this book will be an interesting read. Thanks for your splendid review.
Oh, no! Karen is a young woman in her mid-twenties. Charles is in his mid-nineties. They are not romantically involved in any way.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

CatInTheHat wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 21:09
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 19:01 As I gather from your review, the love between Charles and Karen could be a sort of a matured love, or a love blooming in "off-season" that was circumstantial, or a love with utilitarian purposes. Among other things, it could be construed as a ploy by Karen to win the confidence of Charles, hence, to pry much more deeply into the personality of Charles. Whichever way, this book will be an interesting read. Thanks for your splendid review.
Oh, no! Karen is a young woman in her mid-twenties. Charles is in his mid-nineties. They are not romantically involved in any way.
Watching Karen and Charles explore the different forms of love makes the reader explore it in themselves, as you experience their emotions. I felt these emotions as I read, which made me want to know more about these people.

As I have said, my impression is from what I gathered from the review. It is of urgency then that I have to go read the book entirely, once and for all. Thanks for pointing out.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”