Official Review: The Darkest Lie by Angela Day

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Darkest Lie by Angela Day

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Darkest Lie" by Angela Day.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some part of Thane urges him to be invisible, to not stand out. He was doing a good job blending in, too, until the outgoing transfer student Remi showed up. Remi picks him to be her newest friend, effectively drawing Thane out into the spotlight. Then, his chemistry teacher tries to burn and electrocute him in front of the entire class and a man from a secret organization appears to help sort things out.

In Angela Day’s The Darkest Lie, Thane finds out that his entire life has been one big lie. At the secret organization he’s been invited to, Sanctum, he tries to pick up the pieces of his shattered knowledge to understand just who — and what — he is. Unfortunately, all the arrows point to him being a monster. It's up to Thane to learn to control himself and the power inside of him, but he only has one week of training and many other problems garnering for his attention.

I truly enjoyed Angela Day’s storytelling. She started off slow, giving the readers a lot of background and letting us get to know the main characters before things started getting crazy. I had plenty of time to fall in love with Thane and Remi before more characters were introduced. Unfortunately, once things started getting busy within the novel, the storytelling got out of hand. A handful of characters were introduced all at once, making it hard to sort out who was who. Action sequences happened right after characters were introduced, so they were hard to follow. Thane spent a lot of his time at Sanctum getting knocked unconscious, then waking up to a fight or some ridiculous set-up before getting knocked unconscious again. There were a few scenes where I wanted to roll my eyes and skip ahead because there was just no plot value to them.

Although the story got out-of-hand halfway through the novel and ended with almost no warning, I enjoyed the character development and the way that the readers learned as Thane learned. I felt that this is a great YA novel that could turn into an even better series with the help of an editor who could tone down some of the scenes in the middle and give the readers a breather while both they and Thane adapt to the new environment.

Overall, I would give The Darkest Lie 3 out of 4 stars. I became attached to the characters and would love to know what happens next in the story, but I didn’t appreciate some of the overly-long and unnecessary scenes in the first book. Also, there were a few typos and missing/additional words throughout the book, but I thought the editing was quite well-done for a self-published book. I would definitely recommend this book to young adults, especially those who enjoyed the Percy Jackson series. This book is part of a series and several questions have been left unanswered by the end of the first book, so I would not recommend it to people who want a quick, uncomplicated read.

The Darkest Lie
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate when novels end unexpectedly. It leaves me going, "What just happened?" Still, this sounds like a great story. Your whole life was a lie? That would be distressing to say the least. Nice review, thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Nice review. Though the book doesn't sound like my kind of read, with possessing powers and all. I'll have to pass. Thanks for your honesty
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

YA of this sort is my go-to if I am looking for something that is light and relatively easy. Editorial issues always annoy me, but it sounds like those could be sorted out easily enough. Thanks for the review. You do a good job of giving me just enough information to draw me in (what is the big lie?? I've got to know :) ).
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

Thank you for the review. I do not like rushed endings, but since you said the book is part of a series, then I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I think I will be checking this one out and see how it goes.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thane goes to the Sanctum to get knocked unconscious time and again, discover that he is a monster, and fight whomever or whatever ( including the three-headed dragon on the cover, I guess). That's some crazy action that is bound to get out of hand. I believe the YA have the energy for this book. I'm not sure I do, though.

Thanks for an illuminating review of The Darkest Lie, Katiesquilts!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot sounds interesting but please give a bit more detail on the summary it is a little bit difficult to have a clear picture as to what is happening, this makes it difficult for me to accept this book. The premise seem good and the details were worth noting. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

You learn from your mistakes so the author should just take time and do well in the other to come series
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I hate it when a story ends abruptly. That would have frustrated me too.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kent03
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kent03 »

lie will never be good what aspect it is.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review.seems like a great story. Interesting cover.
dunamisbenjamin

Post by dunamisbenjamin »

Great review. I think it would be nice to read it.
Vitaliz

Post by Vitaliz »

A great book. Big five to the author.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the well-written, thorough review! The premise of the book sounds interesting, but a busy plot with too many characters is not my cup of tea. Glad you were able to enjoy the story despite the issues you mentioned.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 00:55 The plot sounds interesting but please give a bit more detail on the summary it is a little bit difficult to have a clear picture as to what is happening, this makes it difficult for me to accept this book. The premise seem good and the details were worth noting. Thank you!
Sorry you felt that way! Unfortunately, this was a book where describing too much of the plot would either not be allowed (as it would be considered spoiling the plot) or, if I was able to explain without spoiling, would take up more space than the rest of the review! :lol: The plot is actually quite convoluted, with lots of different things going on at once!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”