Official Review: Eliza’s Song by Sandra Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Eliza’s Song by Sandra Powell

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eliza’s Song" by Sandra Powell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I categorise a good book by how reluctant I am to put it down. Eliza´s Song by Sandra Powell definitely falls into this category.

Classified as other fiction, the story follows Cass, lead singer of the famous rock band, Demon. He has fame, fortune, band members who feel like family and, underneath it all, a good heart. When he loses everything in a heartbeat, his whole world comes crashing down.

Forced to move back to his home town, he finds an unexpected friend and confidant in his sister´s friend, Kate. To find purpose again Cass, with the help of Kate, looks into the restoration of an old, run down manor house in the village. However, the local rumors that the house is haunted have merit as Cass and Kate, as well as their families, find an unexpected presence in the house. Drawn into a mystery from the 1860s surrounding Eliza, a serving girl who lived in the house, will they ever be able to work out what happened all those years ago and put her to rest?

Brilliantly written in third person, the story focuses mainly around Cass and Kate. Cass is used to living the high life of unlimited alcohol, women and fame, whereas Kate, a widow, is busy helping out around the community and struggling to keep her teenage son, Tyler, in line. They are from completely different ways of life, yet find a common bond that draws them together. Each character in the book is well constructed and has an underlying realism that gives a wonderful depth to the story. They vary from the crotchety, elderly Major who tries to run the village, sullen Tyler who’s full of teenage angst, to Karen, Cass´s exuberant and loving sister. Together they form a rich tapestry of village life.

Set in Wales, the country itself lends an eerie beauty to the story, conjuring up images of rolling hills and windswept beaches. It’s all too easy to imagine not only Cass and Kate´s life there, but Eliza´s as well.

While the supernatural is dealt with here, it’s never hugely unbelievable. The structure of the story is such that there are some chapters scattered throughout the book which are set in the 1860s and follow Eliza´s story. This provides a great historical insight and gives the supernatural aspect some believability. It also shows a nice contrast from past to modern life.

There are some very serious topics dealt with in this book such as murder, rape, loss, adoption, depression and suicide. Even though the list seems overwhelming, these issues are confronted with tact and compassion which is yet another indication of this author´s talent.

I found very little to criticise with this book, it was well edited with no grammatical mistakes and I rate it a much deserved 4 out of 4 stars. It was a well-structured and highly enjoyable read. This book has something for everyone as it covers the supernatural, overcoming hardship, historical aspects, murder, mystery and romance. I look forward to reading more from Sandra Powell.

Eliza’s Song
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow ! Sounds great, the mix of suspense is clearly mentioned in the review. The story sounds very interesting. Looking forward to read it. Good job on the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
jikiaok
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jikiaok »

Mmmmhhhh.... I have to read this book as well, sounds good
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It sounds like there's quite a bit to like in it. I'll have to think some more about it. I enjoyed your thoughts though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The book is more appealing to me now after reading your review. Thank you for your great review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I think the themes of the book are easily identifiable. The book sounds amazing, and the review is interestingly leading to reason the book. Thanks for the review.
kheimii26
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kheimii26 »

The story sounds so interesting. I need to read this! 🙂
anne_hazel48
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anne_hazel48 »

The story sounds so interesting, i must read it 😍
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great write up...this might need to go on my "to read" list. I like how you stress that the difficult issues in the book are dealt with tact and don't really act as a negative distraction to the story. I'm fine with dissonance, but some people can be really turned off by some of those subjects.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”