Official Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Seduction of Religion" by Paul Singh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seduction of Religion: An Illuminating and Provocative Guide to the Religions of the World is an informative book written by Paul Singh.

The book has twenty three chapters featuring major religious groups around the world including Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus among others. Christianity, being the world’s largest and most organized religion, is presented in the first chapter followed by the major branches of Christianity: Catholicism, Eastern Orthodox Church and Protestantism. Protestantism is discussed in details by dividing it into subtopics featuring its branches: Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians and Other Liberal Churches and Seventh Day Adventist. The author also allots chapters for other religious groups like Christian Science, Jehovah’s Witnesses, The Mormons, Evangelicals, Jews, Zoroastrians, Jains, Sikhs and Scientologists. Moreover, the book explicates the difference between religion and cult and presents several questions for readers of different religious groups.

Ultimately, this is a well-written, and apparently well-researched book. It is, first and foremost, very informative. Admittedly, it is genuinely surprising for me to find out about other Christian religions and how they differ from one another. Moreover, it is a very thought-provoking book. Each chapter contains statements ranging from simply surprising to totally outrageous. I even find some parts so disturbing that I secretly wish they are not true especially those about Muslims and the Islamic faith.

The tone of the narrative is generally satirical, and at some points amusing and, probably for other readers, somehow even entertaining. Compared with other books about religion, this is less formal thus easier to read and understand.

In addition to the discussion on various religions, the author includes the plight of women around the world and the role the religions play in that plight. The most important part of the book, for me, is the advice of the author about organized religions. I find it sound and objective. Though he is apparently passionate about the subject, he doesn’t impose his personal beliefs on the readers. He makes suggestions for readers to weigh and contemplate on. He shares his personal experience regarding organized religion so that the readers know that he is just like any of us, but he makes a choice and he also shares that choice to his readers.

However, though the author is apparently well-meaning and impartial in his presentation, some readers may find the book offensive and provocative. Some may even find it as personal attack on their faith. Moreover, it may raise contention from members of organized religions regardless of the denomination and may affect the total readership of the book. In that regard, I commend the author on such fearless presentation and wish him luck on the success of this book.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is informative, well-researched and well-written. Though I recommend it primarily to theologians and religious leaders, I believe that this is a book for everyone: religious, non-religious, theists, deists and atheists. Deeply religious people, however, may find it not something they would normally read and include in their collection.

The Seduction of Religion
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Nice review! There maybe lots of religious fanatic in this world, but I believe that many of them are open minded. I'm a Catholic. My personal opinion is, if this book can help to enlighten my belief then why not to read it? Thanks!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Wow this book sounds like a BOMB! Interesting for sure, and informative. I believe this book would be a eye opener to a lot people out there.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting view of world religions. It's nice that the author is impartial, but I'm unsure about the satirical tone. I appreciate your views on this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This book is obviously for those who are open-minded. I would like to know the author's view on different religion and to what extent his impartiality is. Satirical tone? I will have to find out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review on this, I definitely want to read this now.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

BookHausJ wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 01:19 Nice review! There maybe lots of religious fanatic in this world, but I believe that many of them are open minded. I'm a Catholic. My personal opinion is, if this book can help to enlighten my belief then why not to read it? Thanks!
Thank you. This book is one enlightening read. I I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 03:15 Wow this book sounds like a BOMB! Interesting for sure, and informative. I believe this book would be a eye opener to a lot people out there.
You're right about that :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 09:59 This sounds like an interesting view of world religions. It's nice that the author is impartial, but I'm unsure about the satirical tone. I appreciate your views on this one. Thanks.
Thank you. Just like you I appreciate the author's impartial approach on the subject :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 06:06 This book is obviously for those who are open-minded. I would like to know the author's view on different religion and to what extent his impartiality is. Satirical tone? I will have to find out.
Yes it is. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

N_R wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 16:50 Thanks for the review on this, I definitely want to read this now.
Thank you. I hope it finds a way in your reading list :)
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

Thank you for an accurate description! Certainly sounds like a book for those willing to take an objective view of religion and the treatment of women.
Stanley Kirechu
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Stanley Kirechu »

This book is obviously for those who are open-minded. I would like to know the author's view on different religion and to what extent his impartiality is. Satirical tone? I will have to find out
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Lebs wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:10 Thank you for an accurate description! Certainly sounds like a book for those willing to take an objective view of religion and the treatment of women.
You're welcome. It's an enjoyable read :)
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review - I am reading this book at the moment. I think that one has to be quite open when reading this book as it will really question a lot of fundamental principles and if you have very fixed beliefs it may be hard to separate from those for a bit. Very interesting questions posed and some very interesting answers given. It is quite sad that religion has been responsible for so much blood shed.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”