Review by Manali_DC -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is a non fiction book by Rob White. It is a part autobiographical and part motivational collection of stories that chronicle Rob White's journey from his humble beginnings in a small mill town to his extremely successful career as a real estate entrepreneur and motivational speaker.

Rob White was born in a poor, small town where most kids aspired to a job in one of the two local factories once they finished school. Rob aspired to go to college and then start teaching. Seventeen years later he gave up a secure teaching job and went on to become a wealthy and successful businessman. However, as his wealth grew, Rob began experiencing a spiritual disquiet and inner emptiness which led him to travel far and wide in the quest for wisdom, meaning and purpose in life. He met many famous gurus, wise men, thinkers and motivational speakers and learnt a lot from them. But he realized that life also places in your path seemingly ordinary, everyday people who without knowing it, might have an important lesson to impart toward enriching your life.

In this book, Rob White writes about twenty one incidences in his life, where the challenges he faced, and ordinary, everyday people he met inspired him to become a better person and achieve bigger and better things.
He writes about how life is continually pointing you towards the right path, towards doing the right thing and how unexpected people in your life- it could be a gardener, a peanut vendor, a student or even a second grade kid like the eponymous Margaret- who could have a powerful lesson to impart. Not only does he recognize and embrace the wisdom that comes his way, he also generously passes them along later to anyone who could benefit from the lessons he learnt.

He begins each story by stating a myth that he believed in and most people believe in, like- "'What happens in my world determines how I feel".
Through the story he explains how reality is often very different from that myth, like- " How I respond to what happens in my world determines how I feel".
Each story is told in a warm, relatable, humorous manner and makes for an easy and inspirational read.

I do not normally read self help or motivational books. More often than not I find them preachy. I am glad I read this one because the stories are light hearted, funny and anything but preachy. The author talks about events from his life, some of which could easily have happened to you or me. This book inspires you to keep an open mind, be observant, learn from every mistake you make. You never know who may be placed in your path to assist you on your journey. I really enjoyed reading this book and have very little to offer in way of criticism of this book. For all these reasons I give And Then I Met Margaret 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a happy, inspirational read.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Manali_DC's review? Post a comment saying so!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Thanks for a great review. Indeed a warm and humorous book. I reviewed the book and I liked it as well.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you!! I agree! Particularly nice was the way in which he uses everyday normal stories to drive home a message without making it preachy!!
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

A well-thought review!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you!
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

wow, nice review and what a nice book. It is a source of inspiration to all who wanted to become successful. Thanks for your ideas. Do check mine as well. Thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

pinklover wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 04:37 wow, nice review and what a nice book. It is a source of inspiration to all who wanted to become successful. Thanks for your ideas. Do check mine as well. Thanks.
Thank you!! What makes this book different from others of the same genre is that it is very non-preachy! Learning from little everyday lessons is what is important! I will check yours!
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

I read a similar book here and the stories bring the message closer home than the sanctimonious submissions of most self help books. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I really enjoyed your comment about being open-minded, observant and learning from your mistakes. The author really showed each of those characteristics in the book. Great job.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 20:40 Nice review. I really enjoyed your comment about being open-minded, observant and learning from your mistakes. The author really showed each of those characteristics in the book. Great job.
Thank you kdstrack!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Manali_DC wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 14:10 I do not normally read self help or motivational books. More often than not I find them preachy. I am glad I read this one because the stories are light hearted, funny and anything but preachy. The author talks about events from his life, some of which could easily have happened to you or me. This book inspires you to keep an open mind, be observant, learn from every mistake you make. You never know who may be placed in your path to assist you on your journey. I really enjoyed reading this book and have very little to offer in way of criticism of this book. For all these reasons I give And Then I Met Margaret 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a happy, inspirational read.
I enjoyed reading your review. You have captured the strengths of this book so eloquently. I also love thinking about what will be the next ordinary guru who will grace my presence. I didn't like the book as much as you did, partly because I felt the author didn't really integrate a number of the lessons he espoused. But, he is human, which was an attractive quality in Rob's personality. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Thank you Eva Darrington. I also often wonder about the same thing- who will be my next ordinary guru. But what I realised is, it's not enough to come across a guru- it's up to us to be open minded and perceptive enough to benefit from a situation like that! And this is one thing that impressed me about Rob White- his wisdom in recognising and accepting those lessons.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”