Official Review: Bleed Out by Straughn Bowman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Bleed Out by Straughn Bowman

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bleed Out" by Straughn Bowman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With so much occurring in our nation daily, we often wonder what the future will be like. Where is our country headed? News stories like the church shooting in Rural Texas or the Las Vegas massacre are all too common. How will all of this play out?

Bleed Out is a fictional answer to that question. Straughn Bowman shares with the reader where he thinks the United States is heading if something doesn't change. I will warn you... I don't think you'll like his view of the future.

The book follows 5 different characters during a country in chaos. America is facing its second civil war; it's every man for himself. Jacob and Danny are in one of the countries' only safe zones. They help patrol the neighborhood to keep any potential threats at bay. Unfortunately, a massive mob overtakes the city, and Jacob and Danny are forced to take their families and flee.

Bob is Secretary of Defense of the newly formed Texarkana which encompasses Alabama, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kansas and Texas. New Orleans doesn't want to be a part of Texarkana, but President Chambliss is determined not to let them leave. President Chambliss puts Bob in charge of making this happen by hook or by crook. He might have to face the current President Cullen (of the former United States) to do so.

Travis owns a farm, but his family left him to go back to their hometown in Texas. A neighbor named Jimmy has a business proposition for him. Jimmy is determined that they will profit during this chaotic time in spite of who they might hurt to do so. Travis is more than willing to go along with his plan.

Baker is just trying to survive after the American government abandoned his part of the country. He must take care of his wife Anna, now. Sadly, he stumbles upon a group of men terrorizing others; this group doesn't want their secret found out. Now Baker and his wife Anna are forced to flee their comfortable home in search of someplace safe. But is there any safe place left?

Michi is the last character that we follow. He is in one of the countries' quarantine zones. As such, he isn't allowed to leave; the National Guard is patrolling the perimeter of this zone. In order to be comfortable during this quarantine, he and his gang ransack, steal and loot from neighboring families. One of his gang has his own agenda, though, and goes a bit too far for Michi's taste. Now his family's lives are on the line.

The book moves along at a swift pace, and the action begins within a few pages of the start of the book. It doesn't let up until the cliffhanger ending leaving the reader wanting to know more. The narration is in the third person point of view, and the author switches between characters often. Fortunately, each time the perspective shifts, a new chapter starts. This helps the reader to be able to follow along with the multiple viewpoints more easily. I found it enjoyable to see this new world from multiple perspectives as it helps to grasp the enormity of what is happening in the country.

As far as the plot, I found it to be realistic, for the most part. There is a good bit of violence in this new world, but not everyone in this world is evil. The author chose a good balance of characters - both the morally upright and the criminally insane. This made the book feel more plausible.

The writing was professional with few errors in the text. While I could tell that the author knew his subject well and wrote with passion, I felt that, at times, the author gets carried away. Travis is a certified psychopath, and some of his escapades turned my stomach. The violence was very descriptive with discussions of entrails, tearing of muscle tissues and bone as well as bits of men's brains being splattered here, there and yonder. The level of description, while enthralling to some, was just too much for me.

Overall, I rate Bleed Out a 3 out of 4 stars. The novel kept my attention. Even when I was forced to lay it aside for a while, I felt myself being drawn back as any good book will do. It lost a star due to the intensely violent scenes that were described in stunning detail. The balance between the "normal" good characters and the evil ones kept it from losing another star; I liked this nice mix of positive and negative. I would recommend this to all lovers of dystopian fiction who don't mind a bit of graphic violence. The author has another in this series planned, but I have yet to see it on Amazon. I would be interested in continuing to follow the lives of these characters in hopes that the country can turn itself around.

Bleed Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Liking or not is a matter of fact a person opinion, not the reality! the author's use of 3rd perspective is a good approach for this style of a book. The plot is good and it helps for a person to think in a "otherwise" perspective, e.g. if the Nazi won the WW2? what would the world be. I believe there is a Tv-Series related to this called the "SS" a BBC Tv-Series. The authors use of "otherwise" is great! Good review and thank you for your opinion!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another interesting, well-written review as always. :) I don't like books that are too violent and I don't care for the dystopian genre, so this one is likely not for me. Still, the story sounds like a winner for readers who like this genre.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 12:16 Liking or not is a matter of fact a person opinion, not the reality! the author's use of 3rd perspective is a good approach for this style of a book. The plot is good and it helps for a person to think in a "otherwise" perspective, e.g. if the Nazi won the WW2? what would the world be. I believe there is a Tv-Series related to this called the "SS" a BBC Tv-Series. The authors use of "otherwise" is great! Good review and thank you for your opinion!
It's definitely a subject that has been explored in some ways, but this take is one I haven't seen before. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 12:21 Another interesting, well-written review as always. :) I don't like books that are too violent and I don't care for the dystopian genre, so this one is likely not for me. Still, the story sounds like a winner for readers who like this genre.
Thanks bookowlie! You always leave such great comments! If you don't like violence or dystopian books, this definitely wouldn't be for you!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

:) Although I don't like dystopian themes, the genre is so popular! Maybe I am missing something.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

There seem to be sub-genres even within dystopian novels. Some are more realistic than others. This is one that you could actually see happening, which actually makes it even more scary. Some are almost alien in nature. *Shrug* To each their own. :)
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I can see how the realistic ones would be even scarier!
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

Excellent review. It tells me enough to know this genre isn't for me. Life already has too many challenges to read books that contain so much violence; the positive additions notwithstanding. I want a positive feeling after reading a book not...😱
But sounds nice for lovers of books in this genre.
Kachi1717
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kachi1717 »

Well written book. It's actually the reality of what is happening right now.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Zahra. I completely understand about the violence. I'm sure you'll find something else to your liking.
—Neil Gaiman
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

kandscreeley wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 15:54 Thanks Zahra. I completely understand about the violence. I'm sure you'll find something else to your liking.
Thanks for understanding. I am sure I will
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Thanks for this very informative review. The descriptive prowess of the book seems very intense, as your review warned, but not enough yet to turn my stomach out. I could stomach it, as the cliche says. It interests me always to read how so creative and imaginative authors can get. Mr. Bowman is a stereotype. I can hardly wait to read the book.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I find that reading dystopian fiction is the allegory of the world reality now or in future. Somehow it gave me the mind set that just because a river looks calm, it doesn't mean there's no crocodiles. Thus, it causes me to be alert, and to think of ways to make preparations for the unpredictable future. Thank you for your warning about the author's view of future and thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 00:35 Thanks for this very informative review. The descriptive prowess of the book seems very intense, as your review warned, but not enough yet to turn my stomach out. I could stomach it, as the cliche says. It interests me always to read how so creative and imaginative authors can get. Mr. Bowman is a stereotype. I can hardly wait to read the book.
It is pretty graphic, but if you read, I hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”