Official Review: The Dicer's Cup by Bill Christophersen

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: The Dicer's Cup by Bill Christophersen

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dicer's Cup" by Bill Christophersen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dicer's cup by Bill Christophersen is a reflective autobiography written in seamless and captivating poetry. The poems delve into various aspects of the author's life, mainly his childhood life, his transition into adulthood, his music career and his family and friends. It is the second poetry book by the author and reading it was a pleasure.

The book is divided into three sections with each section reflecting the author's state of mind in regard to his situation at that particular moment. The poems are a rollercoaster of emotion and I found myself laughing from the generous humour, feeling sad and occasionally caught up in the suspense.

From what I read, Christophersen is very gifted and describing his work as colorful is an understatement. This is not an easy read though. It is thought provoking and contains phrases that a mind of average comprehension capacity will have difficulty deciphering. I often had to read many of the poems more than once in order to realize the deeper meaning behind the text. The writing style used is free verse and I would like to imagine that this is in tune with the author's free spirit.

What I liked most was a poem in which the author likens his childhood to that of Jesus. This is done beautifully in a humorous and non offensive way. There are also several other biblical allusions used. Readers who are not familiar with biblical teachings might have trouble with this. The author is also a bluegrass fiddle player and this part of his life is very prominent in his poems.

The themes of change, friendship, family life, resilience and personal loss are covered. It is refreshing that these are based on the author's personal experiences therefore adding an air of authenticity to his work. The individual poems vary in length from just a few lines to more than one page long. This diversity is well presented and for any given poem, it didn't feel like there was too much information or something missing.

The only downside is that I encountered a few grammatical errors. Though not many, they left me wondering how such a well written piece of work could contain errors. There is also extra indentation on on almost every page. These could be reconciled with a round of editing. Were it not for this minor setback, I would have given the book a perfect score but I will have to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This is a book I would recommend to anyone who desires an intellectually stimulating read.

The Dicer's Cup
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! Biography, roller coaster ride in emotions, a chronicle about his life, no wonder it is a great book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 00:40 Interesting! Biography, roller coaster ride in emotions, a chronicle about his life, no wonder it is a great book.
It's amazing. I'm glad I read it.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like that it's a book of poetry on his life. I think that would be awesome to write a memoir using poetry. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 09:33 I like that it's a book of poetry on his life. I think that would be awesome to write a memoir using poetry. Thanks for the review.
Thank you. I enjoyed the unique concept.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

this book sounds good because I feel it in your review. I want to try reading this one. You have written a great review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love every single thing that is stimulating to me. This is the type of book that I would like to move to my TBR list.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

An autobiography in verse is something really unique. I can just imagine the vivid images the author was able to create.

I am intrigued by the cover (abstract art for me) and the use of the word dicer (a vegetable cutter?) in the title. Does the book offer an explanation?

Thanks for the colorful review, Mercy Bolo!
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

pinklover wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 06:03 this book sounds good because I feel it in your review. I want to try reading this one. You have written a great review.
Thank you for your feedback. I really enjoyed the book.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 08:41 I love every single thing that is stimulating to me. This is the type of book that I would like to move to my TBR list.
Please do so. You will be glad to find some interesting quotes in there.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Miriam Molina wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 16:05 An autobiography in verse is something really unique. I can just imagine the vivid images the author was able to create.

I am intrigued by the cover (abstract art for me) and the use of the word dicer (a vegetable cutter?) in the title. Does the book offer an explanation?

Thanks for the colorful review, Mercy Bolo!
I didn't see any explanation about the title. I'm still wondering what the author meant.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I must admit, I am drawn towards poetry, or shall I say to be precise that I am prejudiced towards rhymed poems. From what I read in the review, the poems are reflective of the free spirit of the author, and that necessarily conjures the poems in free verse. But that would not deter me from appreciating the sentiments of the poems. Thanks for this interesting and comprehensive review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book sounds good and your review is great. I like drama and poetry genre. Feel free to check my reviews.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 09:55 I must admit, I am drawn towards poetry, or shall I say to be precise that I am prejudiced towards rhymed poems. From what I read in the review, the poems are reflective of the free spirit of the author, and that necessarily conjures the poems in free verse. But that would not deter me from appreciating the sentiments of the poems. Thanks for this interesting and comprehensive review.
Thank you for your feedback. Because you are prejudiced towards rhymed poems, you will definitely find comfort in this book.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 10:35 The book sounds good and your review is great. I like drama and poetry genre. Feel free to check my reviews.
Thank you. I'll check them out.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”