Official Review: Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Jour...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Jour...

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Journey of Forgiveness" by Tammy Gaffney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Journey of Forgiveness by Tammy Gaffney is enlightening. It's a divinely inspired book that I can easily say encompasses her life's mission. Not only because it took her an incredible thirty-five years' to accomplish, but more importantly, she is a living testament to what forgiveness can do to a person, a family and ultimately to a society. Some of the personal revelations that the book spoke to me about is that "unforgiveness is Idolatry". Unbelievable as it is, it was profound enough for me to put this whole subject of unforgiveness into an even higher perspective than I did before picking up the book to read.

Putting matters into context, and having read the whole book, I know right now I could use the practical knowledge contained herein. We are social beings and inevitably, we wrong others or we are wronged and life becomes mutually painful for everyone. That's when we need an inspirational guide to put matters right. The author, Tammy, lays the foundation for introducing this subject by way of giving one out of her many personal life experiences that are uniquely characteristic of this book. Here, she cites a desperate call that she received one day from her niece, Karla. Because she was crying, Tammy could barely make out the words Karla was saying. But eventually, she is able to get the shocking news of the demise of her sister, Willow, and who is also Karla's mother. Because of Willow's drug addiction, their mother had to raise Karla. Karla on her part, because of the pain in her heart, hated her mother, Willow; thinking throughout her mother didn't love her. Willow, on the other hand, carried a pain of her own that she tried to mask with drugs. This is a typical example of the mutual pain in my home, and I am sure in every other home across the globe. And the big questions are, where does the healing begin to eventually cause the bearer of the pain to forgive? Or worse, what if the person who causes the pain doesn't apologise, or as is commonly the case, just moves on with their life like nothing happened?

Tammy's book spells out that at the heart of unforgiveness is pain. In fact, pain is what blocks or hardens the heart from wanting to forgive. It leads to anger which ultimately leads to unforgiveness. So in a nutshell, one can't begin to walk the path of forgiveness or deliverance until they can honestly confess their pain. As a matter of fact, Tammy reveals that unresolved pain is the barrier to people being able to receive the teaching about forgiveness. Forgiveness here meaning freedom from pain and which translates to being able to live in the present sustained by mutual love. It means not being defined by the fruits of unforgiveness: feelings of fear, pain, hurt, or low self-esteem.

What is good with this book is that it takes the reader through the trial and error experiences that the author had to go through before perfecting the art and her ministry of forgiveness. She owns up by saying "I was surprised that I didn't see as many breakthroughs in people's lives as I had hoped for. I knew God's word would deliver them from their past, but I had to find a way to convince them that forgiveness was the way." It was really heartfelt reading at the beginning of her journey towards discovering this right method. First, using a traditional or pulpit approach that hindered people to eventually a more effective divinely inspired approach to teaching forgiveness. She beautifully and humbly summarises this experience by saying she "thought God took me into the classroom as the teacher, but I became the student." In my mind's eye, I saw her like Ezekiel in the Scriptures who at the beginning of his mission, had to endure the pain of a hot piece of coal on his lips!

The author uses an expository style which explains beautifully, with examples, on the subject of forgiveness. Her tone is emotional and persuasive which is in line with someone who has gone through the process of pain and endured its effects, like anger, and ultimately is now reaping the fruits. Her writing is like a conversation she is having with a close friend and hence it's casual. I found this effective because it didn't sound like someone preaching to me, or a teacher who has all the theoretical knowledge but is missing the experiences. But rather, like a friend who is empathetic and sharing with another. I liked how Tammy brought out her personal experiences with her family members: her former husband, mother, father, sister, husband, stepfather and even, the Almighty God - where she tackles skillfully the classical problem of where God was throughout her pain. I liked her use of the term "wilderness" to describe that period of her life when she underwent pain and had a battered heart. Because wilderness, in my knowledge, denotes that period prior to the breakthrough.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I only came across two typos. It is a wholesome book to be read by the whole family, as unforgiveness affects everyone either as the aggrieved party or the aggressor. And if not affecting now sometime in the past. It's the author's desire for her readers to get help by confessing pain, its effects and give it to God. In conclusion, I think the book couldn't have come at a better time than this time when we are about to end the year. It contains a powerful message to new beginnings without pain in the new year. Beginnings to live now and not in the past. I can't recommend the book enough. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Journey of Forgiveness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

There are two words that I consider the "most important" for the past 22 years of my life, that is "Sorry" and "Thank you". These words may seem small but they always can do wonders! Forgiveness is something we all need for a heart to heal. In a world fill of hatred and anger, it always yields to love and forgiveness but it depends if the people wish to forgive and move on in life. Life is impermanent! I sympathise people who are trapped within to think it is not so, they are lost that is the truth. In my opinion no matter how deep the pain is I rather forgive and move on because, I wish to live rather than be buried by hatred.
This review borough in memories and reminded me of who I am, I am truly grateful!
And I thank the author for writing a book in a such a important topic and reminding people of how important forgiveness is. Thank you for your excellent review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 00:31 There are two words that I consider the "most important" for the past 22 years of my life, that is "Sorry" and "Thank you". These words may seem small but they always can do wonders! Forgiveness is something we all need for a heart to heal. In a world fill of hatred and anger, it always yields to love and forgiveness but it depends if the people wish to forgive and move on in life. Life is impermanent! I sympathise people who are trapped within to think it is not so, they are lost that is the truth. In my opinion no matter how deep the pain is I rather forgive and move on because, I wish to live rather than be buried by hatred.
This review borough in memories and reminded me of who I am, I am truly grateful!
And I thank the author for writing a book in a such an important topic and reminding people of how important forgiveness is. Thank you for your excellent review!
You are so on point Sahani! We can choose to be on the civil side, and utter such words that make life so easy and unburdensome or choose the other side. We are obviously created to be nice to each other and live in harmony. I thank the author for reminding as this. Thanks to you too for your kind comments on the review.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I like this book. Base on this reviews the author uses her style and explains beautifully, with examples, on the subject of forgiveness. Our world is full of very serious negative attitude. Hatred and anger are part of everyday challenge. And to forgive a person for being offensive needs full of love in our heart. And only grace of God a person should possess to do that. Thanks for sharing your thought!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Forgiveness is definitely an important part of healing, but it's not always easy to do. It sounds like the author uses her experiences well to help others to find forgiveness in their lives. Great story. Thanks for introducing it to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review. Forgiveness is such a hard thing to do, and so freeing when you do it. This seems like a great book to gain some perspective
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This book is one for the enlightened soul, for the forgiving soul. It takes great effort and benign thoughts to forgive. It seems much easier to invoke one's right to the redress of grievances, cry for justice than to let go and forget. Thanks for your informative review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Katungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katungu.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Katungu »

Unforgiveness as idolatry. I never thought of it like that. Sounds like a book worth reading. Great review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like you really enjoyed this book...it is clear based on your great review of it. I'm not religious, so I don't think this book is for me, but I enjoy the main message of forgiveness.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I agree with the author with the fact that when a person does not forgive, that person hurts himself experiencing anger, hatred, envy, and pain. Now, forgive and be forgiven is possible, but it takes time sometimes. It's a bittersweet experience that we'll all pass at one point in our lives. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”