Official Review: Oh and That's Another Thing: What Buddha...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Oh and That's Another Thing: What Buddha...

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Oh and That's Another Thing: What Buddha Forgot to Say" by Fallacious Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think it's part of the human condition to want to be better people. Whether we want to be kinder, more empathetic, more charitable, or more sociable, we want to improve ourselves. However, not many of us admit it, let alone write a book about our quest to do so. This is where Fallacious Rose comes in. In her book, Oh and That's Another Thing...What Buddha Forgot to Say, Rose documents her weekly attempts to “be better”. Specifically, Fallacious wants to earn enough karma points to come back as the best creature of them all, a cat. She figures she'll need about 500 points to attain her lofty goal, and she documents the process on a weekly basis.

Oh and That's Another Thing...What Buddha Forgot to Say is not a completely serious book. It's very tongue-in-cheek, as noted in the author's “brief word of warning”. In her words, “However, not everything in this book is strictly true: there is a reason why the author calls herself Fallacious. You know when someone tells a great story at a dinner party, and then their wife spoils the whole thing by saying ‘Henry, come on - you’re exaggerating!’? That’s the relationship of this story to the author’s actual life.”

Completely true or not, I thought this was an excellent book. There were many times where I had to look at the cover just to be absolutely sure that I didn't write it because I swear Rose is myself. She's irreverent, disrespectful, lazy, sarcastic, and pleasingly plump. She also hates cooking, thinks being nice to people is a goal, and has prolonged conversations with herself. She is me. Aside from Rose/myself, this book is full of characters who are actually “imaginary advisers”. They include Guru Fred, Madame Sputnik, and Father O’Flaherty. I thought Rose did a great job with each of the “advisers”, giving them the proper personality and voice that such people would have. Other advisers – whom I think are real people – include Violent Violet and Captain Savage. Violet is verbally violent, frequently cursing and being tactless in general. Captain Savage is the friend who tallies Rose's points towards cat-hood but also dispenses advice as he sees fit. Additional people in Rose's circle include her children, Mr. F and Ms. M, as she refers to them, and her frequently mentioned “Demon Ex” who remains nameless.

Some of the ways in which Rose tried to be better included complimenting people, being nice to strangers, visiting a nursing home and making nice with a specific, “adopted” resident named Arnold, and being a Kids Mate (something akin to a "Big Sister") to a needy child called “Beetle”. She did better in some areas than others, but each week was filled with hilarity, and I enjoyed reading about her accomplishments as much as her failures. I also greatly enjoyed reading how each of her advisers responded to each week's attempts at betterment.

Another thing I really liked about this book were the illustrations sprinkled throughout. Many of the chapters included an appropriate picture done in a simple, childlike style, and I found them to be almost as funny as the writing. I also appreciated their presence because one of the things I miss most about being a child is picture books.

The only negative I found in this book was its lack of complete editing. The errors were mostly in punctuation, though there were occasionally either missed or extra words. Still, I was enjoying the book so much that the mistakes didn't take away from it at all.

As much as I'd like to give Oh and That's Another Thing...What Buddha Forgot to Say a glowing 4 stars, I have to go with 3 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned grammatical errors that are prevalent throughout. I do highly recommend this tome for readers who enjoy comedy, a quirky writing style, and self-improvement books. For my part, I also intend to read anything else that Fallacious Rose puts out.

Oh and That's Another Thing: What Buddha Forgot to Say
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It sounds like you had an easy time connecting with this author! I like the idea of the sarcastic/humorous tone of this book, but I'm not sure about all the errors. I also think it's interesting that there are some illustrations. Great review, thanks!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This sounds like a humorous take on betterment - I wonder if any of Fallacious' attempts to do good ever go wrong? I can already tell from the characters' names that they are colourful, and the main character is clearly multifaceted and relatable. It's always a shame when errors irritate throughout an otherwise good book.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, this book is not at all what I thought it would be based on the title. It sounds really interesting. It might be something I would enjoy as it has humor sprinkled in. Thanks for the great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Yes every human wants to be better although they refuse to openly admit it. Glad to know that you can relate with the author. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I especially liked reading your opinions because I had considering choosing this review book recently. In this type of book, illustrations can really add to the whimsical, humorous theme. It sounds like the author could use a good editor to polish up what sounds like an interesting book!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I like books on betterment. I think I would like this take on it as it differs from the norm. Thank you fir the review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

According to your review, what hasthat got to do with the title? I actually attempted to read this review, which was by the way good review, because of the title. But I dont see a connection between the title and the story, please enlighten me on that!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for your comments, everyone. This book really did appeal to my love of all things off the beaten path.

@Sahani Nimandra, my apologies. I didn't want to make an already lengthy review even longer. But the author's inspiration was Buddha and the Prologue mentions him. I think the thing he forgot to say was the whole points system, but I could be wrong because she never spells it out exactly.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

MsTri wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 12:38 Thanks for your comments, everyone. This book really did appeal to my love of all things off the beaten path.

@Sahani Nimandra, my apologies. I didn't want to make an already lengthy review even longer. But the author's inspiration was Buddha and the Prologue mentions him. I think the thing he forgot to say was the whole points system, but I could be wrong because she never spells it out exactly.
Oh that paints a certain picture, thank you! @MsTri
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Reading an interesting book, and facing grammatical errors can be irritating. You seemed to identify a whole lot deal with the book. Thanks for the review, i think yue book is inspiring.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This sounds like a total beach read...toes in the sand, beer in the cooler, and people looking at me strange as I laugh out loud. Of perhaps I'm just tired of it being below freezing for the last month!

Thank you for your fun write up and review of this book. Too bad about the editing issues.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Fun review of what seems to be a fun book. Will definitely take up your recommendation and have a read of it!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I could use a little dose of attitude improvement right now.... this sounds like a good one.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”