Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I could date someone who doesn't read, but they would have to understand my book obsession and be completely okay with it.
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Misha_17
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misha-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misha_17 »

My fiance seldom reads. In my case, it doesn't matter if he barely reads, as long as he won't stop me from buying & reading books. He's very supportive of my hobby, he buys me books every now and then. He even bought me a Kindle as anniversary gift :wink: :D
Blue Eyed Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-eyed-reader.html
Latest Review: Twinkle Twinkle Little Starr by H M Irwing

Post by Blue Eyed Reader »

I am currently dating a guy who is not too excited about reading, and I gotta say, I am okay with that. We have so much in common outside of that fact that it is almost not important to look at.

On one side, I get to be called a nerd and he plays video games which is where I call him a nerd. On the other hand, I don't have to fight over my kindle in order to read a book! So I am ok with that!

The way I see it, you can't choose who you love and if you were picky all the time on every single thing in life, then life wouldn't be interesting! I say, embrace it.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

My husband doesn't read ever, he prefers t.v., which is fine by me. Sometimes I would like to discuss what I'm reading so I just call my daughter.
Annabella9712
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Annabella9712 »

I don’t see why not. As long as they know how to read and talk correctly then I don’t see a problem with it. I’m okay with it as long as their a decent type of person and don’t constantly put up different types of fronts for the people who they are supposed to be close to.
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

Date is with someone whom you like and love and if she don't like books then I am not going to date her..
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I cant say that it would be a deal breaker if they didn't read books. With all the technology that's available now its probably a lot more common to not be interested in reading books. I think I would definitely be more attracted to them if they did though. It shows they like to use their imagination. Also, depending on the type of books they like to read I think it would show their level of intelligence.
Deboleena Mookerjee
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deboleena-mookerjee.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Deboleena Mookerjee »

Dating someone who doesn't read is indeed a difficult proposition. As a voracious reader, I have little else to discuss other than books, hence I can't imagine dating a man who doesn't read.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Elizabeth Harvey
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-harvey.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Elizabeth Harvey »

I could when I read I like to immerse myself in the book and feel that I am there. The person does not have to have this in common with me especially if we agreed on other things. You don't have to have the same taste or likes and dislikes. It might make for a boring relationship.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Mslady143
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mslady143 »

I've been with my boyfriend and father of my son for 13 yrs I've been reading books since I was a little girl shoot I was such a huge fan of Harry potter and the sources stone lol he has never been a fan of books give him some black ops and he is a happy camper.
sugardrop15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugardrop15.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sugardrop15 »

I feel like I could get into a relationship with someone who chooses not to read, because we don't have to share all of the same hobbies. I think that for me personally it just means that I'm a quiet girlfriend while he/she does what he/she does. Dating someone who reads comes with its own set of problems. Your significant other may not like what you read, or if their anything like me, they'll never get anything done. :D
KDeLeon15
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdeleon15.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by KDeLeon15 »

No, i wouldn't be able to I have in the past and it didn't work out well. There was seldom any common interest and the conversations showed just that beyond telling what we did all day at work there were strains like Scott was saying as far as reccommending books or having couple time I would love to stay home and read in my spare time he always wanted movies or to go out parting and compermise was not in his vocabulary I would go out with him but when I would ask if he would give me his thoughts on say a quote or passage in a book he refused to take to mineutes to read it for basis. I'm sure for some it works out perfectly but for myself I have found I relate easier to those that read my husband is also an avid reader and though we have very different taste in books we end each day talking about a book we are reading at the moment and about authors we love and loathe and why conversation is never-ending.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
kamibryant
Bookshelf Size: 91

Post by kamibryant »

That would be a tough one. I am most attracted to intelligent men who like to read. I would like to be able to have interesting discussions. Most of the people that I have dated don't enjoy reading. My son is also a reluctant reader. Which is sad because I hate that I am not able to share my love of reading with him. My mother loved to read. I think that my true love is someone who enjoys to read. I figure that I will never meet my true love because he and I will both be at our perspective homes on the weekends; reading a book. :techie-reference:
Scolletapie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scolletapie.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Scolletapie »

Why not. I'm already in that situation and I can't run away from it. My fiancé is a non-reader,he loves watching instead.
He is okey with it too..Although at times he feels like I'm too serious and overdoing it.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
dee74
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Dracula</a>
Currently Reading: The Prodigal Son
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee74.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dee74 »

Kinda.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”