Review by ReviewerDiksha -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Review by ReviewerDiksha -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary Jane Morris is a private investigator. She was ready to celebrate Halloween with her roommate Sally when she received a call from her ex-partner, David ‘Davy’ McHale. Mary Jane sensed, at once, that something was wrong and rushed to his place, but by the time she reached there, it was too late. A gun in his hand, a glass of whiskey by his side and his head blown off- that’s how she found him. At first, it looked like a suicide by a depressed man. But soon, things took an unexpected turn and threw Mary Jane right in the middle of a devious conspiracy related to the Veterans Administration. Up against some of the most powerful people in Washington DC, she has to find Davy’s murderer and expose the conspirators. All the while, she has to protect herself from the people who will do anything to stop her.

Written from the point of view of Mary Jane Morris, Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens is a sensational crime thriller. Exploring the theme of prevalent corruption in the government agencies, it brings together a lot of elements that are pretty relevant in today’s world. It also sheds light on prevalent sexism in various professions. The instances where Mary Jane is not taken seriously by the FBI and the Department of Justice represent the treatment of women in a male-dominated world.

People who enjoy a good murder mystery should definitely read this. It is fast paced and doesn’t take time to throw its characters, and the readers, right in the middle of the action. It has some pretty exciting action sequences and espionage scenes. The author is inspired by detectives like Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, all of whom find a mention in this book, generally in the form of Mary Jane’s conscience.

One of the best things about this novel is its writing style. It is casual and witty, like a friend telling you about an interesting day at work. It has Mary Jane’s humor sprinkled all over, with some clever punch lines and intelligent sarcasm. It is precise, like its lead character, and carefully moves forward without missing or overdoing any detail. It also provides a little trivia about the actual places that feature in the novel. People interested in the history of Washington DC will appreciate that.

Mary Jane and all other characters seem realistic and sorted out. None of them seem too idealistic or above the top. Every one of them acts like normal people would, under the given circumstances. Their background histories are well-presented and their growth is not stunted to keep in line with the story. We see some good character developments towards the end.

For all its good qualities, this could have been a perfect novel. However, it is not. In a few places, I felt like the comma was missing. I don’t mean to be a snob, but sometimes these things alter the meaning of a sentence and break the flow of reading. There were also some other minor grammatical mistakes. Another thing that bothered me was the occasional inconsistency of the plot. When the writer wanted Mary Jane to have a break, he would send her on a holiday, or an errand, that sometimes felt unrelated to the plot. The story loses its grip in such places and seems to become lousy, for a while.

This novel has a spot-on ending. I was glad that the writer chose not to take a clichéd road, as usually happens in the case of crime genre. What made it more acceptable was the realistic approach towards things. You’ll find yourself in agreement with the climax. My rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. A 3.5 would have done better justice to this Mary Jane Morris mystery. If it was a little bit better than it is now, it would have been in league with the best ones out there. But, it settled at next to best, and that’s okay. I still loved it.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I had fun reading the review, especially as I am a detective wannabe. Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, and Hercule Poirot are also personal favorites, and I wouldn't mind them lurking in my conscience, LOL!
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I like reading good murder mystery. And the conspiracy in this seems like an added bonus. Thanks for the review.
ShivaniS
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShivaniS »

Murder mysteries are always interesting. The realism in the characters seems relatable. I look forward to reading this Mary Jane Morris mystery
PratibhaG

Post by PratibhaG »

I am not much into reading murder mysteries. I did like your review though.
NeerajS

Post by NeerajS »

A very detailed review. I loved Sherlock Holmes and if this novel is anything along that line, I'd love to read it.
RKS

Post by RKS »

I like reading murder mysteries. Mary Jane seems like an interesting investigator. And the themes tackled in this novel seem relevant. Thank you for the detailed review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. I liked your comment about the ending and agree with you. Nice job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”