Review by KlareAllison -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Review by KlareAllison -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by KlareAllison »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice is a health and wellness manual written by Morton E. Tavel, with the aim of debunking what he classifies as long-held erroneous ideas and harmful practices in the area of health and well-being. The book was published in 2015 by Brighton Publishing LLC.

This highly informative handbook is structured into 62 chapters under the three sub-headings of Tips, Myths and Tricks. The tips section deals with what the author succinctly describes as evidence-based measures for the enhancement of overall health and well-being. The myth section dwells on widespread misconceptions which keep people glued to the wiles and swindles of health and pharmaceutical marketing operatives, while, the last segment of the book is on tricks. It focuses on alternative medical approaches such as Ayurveda and a wide variety of herbal remedies.

From Aids to Losing Weight in the first chapter to Standard Medical Care or Chiropractic Treatment in the last chapter, Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice is heavily loaded with thought-provoking health information. For instance, it is interesting to know from chapter 15 of this book that sweet potatoes outrank bananas on the list of foods that are high on potassium. Commonly, foods that make us happy are not often healthy foods. So, it is refreshing to know from the guru that chocolates and cocoa are outside the culprits that initiate some of the much dreaded health conditions such as heart problems. The author basically runs us through the gamut of medical information garnered from his long medical practice and invites us, as it were, to make informed decisions on health matters.

The book lays bare the nagging issue of why a large segment of the public continues to uncritically accept unsubstantiated medical methods and claims. The author notes that some alternative medicine methods are at times added to conventional approaches. He defines this combo as complementary/alternative medicine (CAM). How beneficial is CAM? Do vaccines trigger autism? Is red wine good for cardiovascular health? Does sunscreen prevent premature aging of the skin? How accurate is the polygraph test? Are the often prescribed yearly medical tests and checkups really essential? Is detoxifying the body beneficial? This book will assist in distilling the scientifically proven facts from health myths, and thus, help equip the reader against the ills of uninformed health and fitness choices.

Generally, I like a dose of humour infused into my readings. No doubt, the author delivers on this. His reference to “a partridge in a pear tree” in relation to the detox tea claim, gets me giggling. I relish the detailed contents of the Hippocratic Oath he makes available to the reader in the last chapter of the book. It’s interesting to know that on graduation, doctors as well as other practitioners in the medical field swear to abide by this code of medical ethics which dates back to ancient Greece. However, I do not like the fact that the author insists that “there cannot be two kinds of medicine – conventional and alternative”. As a result of this, he gives a blanket verdict of “false cures” or “snake oil” on other treatments or health advice, outside conventional medicine. I think this absolute rejection of alternative medicine, based on the notion that it is unproven remedy, amounts to throwing away the baby with the bath water.

I rate Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice 4 out of 4 stars because Morton E. Tavel does an impressive job of deftly alerting readers to the importance of a healthy life style. I like the idea that for most part of this volume, he does not only provide information on standard medical care as well as its alternatives, but, allows the reader the discretion to examine the various issues he raises. The book is written in a format that is effortless to grasp. Therefore, I do not have issues with any medical jargons or editing errors. The style of organizing the book into various fascinating segments makes it a lot easier to read and digest. I think Morton E. Tavel has written an invaluable guidebook which will appeal to readers who are interested in issues of health and wellbeing. Thus, I recommend it to anyone who wants a well-researched and vastly informative book on health, fitness and general wellbeing.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KlareAllison's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is another book that I have been longing to read for so long now. I'm curious to know whether my diet is "killing me softly," lol!

Thanks for the healthful review, KlareAllison!
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

Miriam Molina wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 06:20 This is another book that I have been longing to read for so long now. I'm curious to know whether my diet is "killing me softly," lol!

Thanks for the healthful review, KlareAllison!
Thanks for your comments, Miriam Molina. I think you need to make out time and read this book. It's loaded with eye-opening health and fitness stuff.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I am also not convinced in this passage, “There cannot be two kinds of medicine – conventional and alternative.” because both are existing and being used. Some people got cured using conventional medicines yet others got cured using alternative medicines.

Thanks for your impressive review of this book.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

Dolor wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 19:32 I am also not convinced in this passage, “There cannot be two kinds of medicine – conventional and alternative.” because both are existing and being used. Some people got cured using conventional medicines yet others got cured using alternative medicines.

Thanks for your impressive review of this book.

I absolutely agree with you! However, the author seriously calls the efficacy of alternative medicine into question.

Thanks, Dolor, for stopping by!

inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds wonderful. I thought it looked like a textbook of some sort, but it just goes to show how the cover could be misleading at times. I think this will be a very informative read.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

inaramid wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 13:20 This sounds wonderful. I thought it looked like a textbook of some sort, but it just goes to show how the cover could be misleading at times. I think this will be a very informative read.

KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

inaramid wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 13:20 This sounds wonderful. I thought it looked like a textbook of some sort, but it just goes to show how the cover could be misleading at times. I think this will be a very informative read.

Thanks for your comments, inaramid. And yes, the cover illustration appears like something one would find on a school textbook :D . But, the book is an incredible rich health maunual.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is a wonderful review. You have made the book sound so alluring, I already want to get my hands on it. I wish to be enlightened truly with regards to practices about wellness and medical care. Everyone needs this book. Thanks for your review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 04:21 This is a wonderful review. You have made the book sound so alluring, I already want to get my hands on it. I wish to be enlightened truly with regards to practices about wellness and medical care. Everyone needs this book. Thanks for your review.

I appreciate your kind comments, ReyvrexQuestor Reyes. I am certain this book will deliver on your wish to be enlightened in the areas of wellness and medical care.

Thanks, for stopping by!

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

It seems you really benefited from the guidelines shared in this book. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for the review!
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

Kalin Adi wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 22:58 It seems you really benefited from the guidelines shared in this book. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for the review!

Yes, I did benefit from the wealth of health information contained in the book. I guess there are health tips for everyone in this book! Thanks for reading my review, Kalin Adi.

Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

What a wonderful review. I can't wait to grab myself a copy. I thought it was a"science text book" in nature. I was afraid it contained intimidating medical jargon. You made me love the book.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:

Post by KlareAllison »

Al Chakauya wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 12:20 What a wonderful review. I can't wait to grab myself a copy. I thought it was a"science text book" in nature. I was afraid it contained intimidating medical jargon. You made me love the book.

Thanks so much, Al Chakauya, for your kind comments. Really, this book does look like a science text book. But the title drew me to take a chance on it and I am absolutely glad I did. Yes, go ahead and read it!

EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

A beautifully written review. Thank you. I have just read and reviewed this book and concur with your assessments. I agree with your sense that his wholesale rejection of alternative practices is overstated. Your writing is refreshing. I will follow your reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”