What was the best book you ever received as a gift?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

What was the best book you ever received as a gift?

Post by Reuben 92 »

Have you ever been given a book from someone, without having to ask for it, which was just brilliant? I find it's rare for people to know me that well but a few times I remember are:

1) Getting given Heidi by Johanna Spyri as a child and being transported by it. I still think of that book very fondly.

2) Receiving a book of compiled C. S. Lewis quotes, which I go back to again and again!

3) A friend recently bought me a copy of Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich and it was just what I needed at the time. I found it a really beautiful and encouraging read.

What are your stories of gifted books that made an impact on you?
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
KN17488
Currently Reading: A Dog's Purpose
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by KN17488 »

The best book I have received as a gift that I have actually finished so far is Go Ask Alice. My parents got it for me for Christmas and it was such a good book. It is a book I would recommend for people to read because it is something I think many people can relate to. I am quite thankful for receiving this book.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for replying! Thats not a book I'd heard of before but it has great reviews and sounds very topical. I'll maybe give it a go!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The ones my kids wrote in elementary school. They were handwritten with construction paper binding. They will always be my favorites.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

That is adorable! Those are definitely something to treasure :) thanks for the reply
Proust
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

"Time and Again" by Jack Finney.

My husband bought me this as a gift for our 1st wedding anniversary. He is not a reader and had no idea what kind of books to get me, but he was determined to pick one out on his own. He went to the bookstore and ended up asking an employee for some direction into historical fiction, my favorite genre. This was the book he selected and I absolutely love it. It's about a man who becomes part of a time-traveling experiment. As a history buff, I have always thought it would be cool to travel back in time, and it was fascinating to be able to read about that type of experience through the eyes of the character.
Agawyne
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Agawyne »

The book is called Soundless by Richelle Mead, it was given to me by ex boyfriend, at first I didn't feel like reading it because we have different tastes of books so one day I happened to give it a try and guess what I felt something special about this story and the characters, it was unique n I wondered why I hadn't read something like this before. The book kept me on my toes irrespective of my busy schedule. While I slept it's all u dreamt n thought of during the day, u love Soundless that I wouldn't mind reading it again n I recommended my bro to read it too
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks Brandi Noelle and Agawyne for the replies. Both of those sound like interesting reads :)
Proust
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for the reply, Ubheeram Nina, I will look that up!
Proust
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

The secret change my life completely and so i wanna share it to those who want a change. But for this you need to have believe,feel and have faith.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

My son got me Redeeming Love and Atonement child last Christmas. At first I had a hard time getting into them but once I really started reading I couldn't put them down. Now I collect books from the same Author.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

I got the first three of the Lost Years of Merlin book series by T.A. Barron by my adopted brother when I was nine years old, for Christmas. It was my first Christmas with the family, so these books had quite a sentimental value to them, in addition to being some of my favorite stories.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Mjgarrison wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 15:25 My son got me Redeeming Love and Atonement child last Christmas. At first I had a hard time getting into them but once I really started reading I couldn't put them down. Now I collect books from the same Author.
I absolutely loved "Redeeming Love." I don't usually read Christian fiction, but this was a recommendation from a friend and I couldn't put it down. Great book!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”