Volunteer Review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Volunteer Review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Dolor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]

Nook and Kindle e-reader apps are not available in Saudi Arabia so I use eReader Prestigio which displays 606 pages compared to the actual book which has 347 standard pages with approximately 250 words per page. This book was published on August 22, 2015 by www.storyinliteraryfiction.com, a website created by the author himself which can be considered as self-published. It is categorized under "other fiction" genre with mixed themes i.e. ambition, betrayal, deception, escape, good versus evil, isolation, loss, power, redemption and survival.

Hiram McDowell is a highly skilled surgeon, mountain climbing enthusiast and philanthropist of healthcare charity foundation in Nepal. He is an infidel husband to his third wife, Carole Mastriano and a ruthless stepfather to her two daughters from her previous marriage. His ambition to build a new direction for the College of Surgeon to be hailed again as world leader in surgery, made him bribe for presidential votes and deceive his colleague Michael O'Leary. If there is a soft spot in his heart, it is his love to his children from his second marriage, Billie and Sophie. The roller coaster ride in Hiram McDowell's life includes Billie, who had an affair with one of Carole's daughter (Tasha) and Ann (his daughter from his first marriage) who got tangled in a chaotic marriage. Despite the loopholes that happened during his presidential reign, Michael O'Leary failed in his plot for vengeance. After committing mass school murder, Jeremy (his grandson from Ann attempted suicide but was not successful. This incident progressed to his conviction of euthanasia (mercy killing) that resulted to his stay in jail then break free in quest of redemption.

This book depicts a timely situation of family relationship including family feud and juvenile delinquencies due to violent video games, parental neglect and poor upbringing. It's not only the comprehensible greed for money and power is shown in the character of Hiram McDowell but also the possibility of redemption despite the hardship of its track. I admire the author for this proficient masterpiece. I agree with the author that it's human to ask if there is life after death or if there is a God that can intervene in human life when all the problems come flooding. I like few quotes in this book among them is this - “We shape our heaven or hell by our actions on earth.” I strongly disagree anything related to euthanasia and the despicable culture in Nepal regarding the treatment of menstruating women that is mentioned in this book. This is not the kind of book which could make you close your eyes while flipping some pages and by the time you open them wide you landed on the scenes and lines that are in your mind. Kudos to the author for this unpredictable story line.

To wrap things up, "McDowell" by William H. Coles is a non-fiction book with mixed themes that could enable the readers to feel mixed emotions. The topics discussed are related to personal values, family relationship, society concerns involvement and spiritual enhancement narrated in a highly proficient way unpredictable in each and every pace.
“A nemesis of hubris with a rise from the ashes.” This is an exact quote in this book that summarizes the life of Hiram McDowell. I recommend this book to readers 18 years old and above due to the fact that there are topics, scenes and languages that are not suitable for very young audiences.

Due to some errors in spelling and grammars, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars rating but those didn't degrade the overall greatness of the author's masterpiece. As a matter of fact, I had nominated this book on Online Book Club, Book of the Year. To the readers who find this book amazingly interesting, please nominate this book as Book of the Year on Online Book Club like I did. A simple like or share is highly appreciated.
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Preciosonic »

yippee I am the first,I just love good suspense books,from this review what surprised me was the affair between Billie and Tasha,I mean step-bro and sis.Well since I am 18,I am qualified.

I save the best for last,a great review Dolor,well done,is this your first?
Better is not good enough but the best is yet to come. Let Love Lead.
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

yippee I am the first,I just love good suspense books,from this review what surprised me was the affair between Billie and Tasha,I mean step-bro and sis.Well since I am 18,I am qualified.

By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Preciosonic wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 03:40 yippee I am the first,I just love good suspense books,from this review what surprised me was the affair between Billie and Tasha,I mean step-bro and sis.Well since I am 18,I am qualified.

Yes. This is my first review. Ah, so you have just climbed the age requirement. 😂😂😂

If you were to rate my volunteer review, how much would it be? Can you guess the OBC reviewer's rate? 😉

Let me mention my forum friends here to get some comments on their views.
@Amagine @Miriam Molina @Lincolnshirelass @ReyvrexQuestor Reyes @Gali @Gravy @Dat @Boy Lazy

Please rate my volunteer review and guess how much was the OBC reviewer's rate. 😉 Game?
jonny maxauty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jonny maxauty »

wow what a perfect one...love affairs are my most interesting....thanks for such a nice review..book me in
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

jonny maxauty wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 04:54 wow what a perfect one...love affairs are my most interesting....thanks for such a nice review..book me in
Thanks for dropping by and leaving your comment. ♡

I'm currently reading a romance book entitled Temptation Trials Part I. Sooner, I'll post my review for you to read. 😀

Book you in? 🤔
Are you gonna go for a trip? I'm not a ticket booth issuer. 😷😂
Actually I'm confused. Maybe I'm gonna put you in the pages of the book. ✌

I'm just kidding... Don't take my words seriously. 😉
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I like your spirit of reading this book through different apps available for you. I may have skipped reading if it was not available on Kindle.
Book of the Year you say.. then it should be a good one for sure. I'll give it a read.
Thanks for the great review.. Good luck for your future reviews 🙂👍
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

BoyLazy wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 08:43 I like your spirit of reading this book through different apps available for you. I may have skipped reading if it was not available on Kindle.
Book of the Year you say.. then it should be a good one for sure. I'll give it a read.
Thanks for the great review.. Good luck for your future reviews 🙂👍
Thank you for dropping by and leaving an inspirational and motivational comment.

I supposed to stop reviewing and spend my time stuffing blogs on my website instead.

I can't concentrate doing the reviews because I'm working full-time in my employer's house. You know, the feeling of being on guard so as not to get caught while doing the review and sleeping only for few hours to finish it.
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

Dolor wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 04:42
Preciosonic wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 03:40 yippee I am the first,I just love good suspense books,from this review what surprised me was the affair between Billie and Tasha,I mean step-bro and sis.Well since I am 18,I am qualified.

Yes. This is my first review. Ah, so you have just climbed the age requirement. 😂😂😂

If you were to rate my volunteer review, how much would it be? Can you guess the OBC reviewer's rate? 😉

@Amagine @Miriam Molina @Lincolnshirelass @ReyvrexQuestor Reyes @Gali @Gravy @Dat @Boy Lazy

Please rate my volunteer review and guess how much was the OBC reviewer's rate. 😉 Game?
I really can't rate your review,because I haven't written a review before,as for guessing the OBC rate,I thought first reviews isn't under a pay?
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

I really can't rate your review,because I haven't written a review before,as for guessing the OBC rate,I thought first reviews isn't under a pay?
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Preciosonic wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 19:29

First reviews only grant free books.
Why did you not try submitting a review by the way?
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

Same problem of this and that not available in my country, I tried downloading the app you are using now but I think my phone couldn't take it,when I was told to download another app,UB reader,my phone went bad.That's my story
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Preciosonic wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 19:54 Same problem of this and that not available in my country, I tried downloading the app you are using now but I think my phone couldn't take it,when I was told to download another app,UB reader,my phone went bad.That's my story
Ereader Prestigio has no add on app.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

nice book and your review as well. Family feud from previous marriages is common and a great problem now a days.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

readandsmile wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 21:00 nice book and your review as well. Family feud from previous marriages is common and a great problem now a days.
Thank you for the kind comment. ♡

Yes, family feud is rampant nowadays not only to those who have previous marriages. The great impact is on the children. If you have noticed, most children are doing things right or wrong just to capture the attention and the love they long for.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”