Official Review: Memory by Sharon Ervin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Memory by Sharon Ervin

Post by ashley_claire »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memory" by Sharon Ervin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharon Ervin's Memory is a light-hearted romance with some mystery thrown in. It is set in the small town of Astrick, where Memory Smith is hailed as "The Miracle Child" for her reputation of being so innocent and good. Though she is now grown and living in a different city, she comes back to town on some personal business. One night the body of a woman is discovered by the side of the road and mistakenly identified as Memory. Because Memory had been walking on the same road just shortly before the accident took place, she can't help thinking this is personal. But who would want to harm the girl that everyone thinks of as an angel? Is it just a weird coincidence? Or is someone actually out to get the famous Memory Smith?

Memory's old high school classmate David "Mac" McCann is the one who finds her walking and gives her a ride to a nearby hotel. While at the hotel he hears the news that the town thinks it is Memory who has been found dead by the side of the road. Because Mac is the one who actually found her, he feels compelled to help her get to the bottom of what really happened. Okay, so maybe that isn't the only reason he decides to help her. Mac has had a crush on Memory since high school and he refuses to let the chance to know her better slip through his fingers.

Soon it becomes clear that someone is definitely trying to rattle Memory. She humorously thwarts her would-be attacker on several occasions. Can she figure out what they're after? Is it linked to the dead woman? Spending so much time with Mac is making her feel things she's never felt before. Will their relationship develop into something more?

Judging by the cover and initial summary of this book, I was expecting this to be primarily a novel of suspense. In reality, the mystery takes a back seat to the romance between Memory and Mac. Humor is also a big part of the story and is provided via the bumbling burglar and Memory's attempts to stop him. Once I got myself into a different mindset for the book than I had initially planned, I quite enjoyed the cozy mystery aspect of this book. It isn't something you have to think too hard about and it's a quick, easy read.

Ervin does a nice job setting the stage for a small town where gossip is as good as currency and there's no such thing as a secret. The book is well written and flows easily with no errors that I could find. The writing easily kept my attention and provided a fun escape from reality by combining romance, humor, and mystery.

My one small gripe I have with the book is that Memory comes off a bit too naive and immature for my taste. Sometimes I felt like I was reading a young adult book. I think this is just my personal taste in characters and what I want out of books and is in no way a fault of the author. Memory is meant to be portrayed as exceedingly innocent, which makes it all the more baffling why someone would be after her.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There's honestly a little something for just about everyone in this book. If you like romance, quirky characters, and a bit of mystery, then you'll enjoy this book. If you're a fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, this book is right up your alley.

Memory
View: on Bookshelves

Like ashley_claire's review? Post a comment saying so!
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Might be a little too light and fluffy for me, but I really enjoyed your review. Sounds like I might know some friends who would enjoy this book.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for checking it out!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a nice, light read. I love that there is humor and mystery mixed in with the romance. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shaat
Currently Reading: Rich Dad and Poor Dad
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Shaat »

I think the book gonna work I like the innocent character and romance with little mistry. Nice review thanks
Shaat
Currently Reading: Rich Dad and Poor Dad
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Shaat »

Shaat wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 21:54 I think the book gonna work I like the innocent character and romance with little mistry. Nice review thanks
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Memory Smith sounds like a likable character. I do wonder who killed that woman and what the motive was.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by willo »

If only I had a similar miracle child; quite motivating!
adol busran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adol busran »

well,i guess the writer had done a good job in creating suspense in the plot.definitely i will make my time to read them.
Gabmselle

Post by Gabmselle »

I have find the book has a very interesting story.its not like a long story but the themes is understandable
ASHRAF KHAN SUJON

Post by ASHRAF KHAN SUJON »

The story is really interesting but I am in perplexing to realize the theme.
Becky87

Post by Becky87 »

I might have to read the book based on your review!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I enjoyed reading your review. Memory's naive ways may also get too me and the cover also seemed to suggest to me that I should expect a whole lot of suspense.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”