11/29/17 Giveaway over??

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

11/29/17 Giveaway over??

Post by TIGER999 »

Just returned from out of town & rushed online to get to OBC...but it was already closed for the day...so, of course I lost all my carryover entries. Is there a new timeline for the daily giveaway? If so, what is it? Thanks.

PS...It was just a little after 9pm PST...so the day isn't over, at least not for me!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I'm not sure (I stopped entering awhile back). Could be a glitch.

@"gali"?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

My experience(s) lately with OBC are, unfortunately, a Merry Glitch-o-Rama! Maybe it should be called Online GLITCH Club??? So frustrated...so disappointed...

What's @"gali" mean??
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

She still enters the giveaways, so I tagged her to see if she knows if it changed.

It's possible (and even probable) that it has something to do with the changes to the site. Like when members couldn't access their shelves.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The giveaways end early now, probably because of the new update. I will tag @"Scott".
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Thanks for your reply, gali. It seems so unfair that I, once again, lose all my carryover points. No info, no warning, no notice, nothing??? I need to know EXACTLY what the open hours are for the giveaway submissions in PDT. Thanks.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

TIGER999 wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 04:35 Thanks for your reply, gali. It seems so unfair that I, once again, lose all my carryover points. No info, no warning, no notice, nothing??? I need to know EXACTLY what the open hours are for the giveaway submissions in PDT. Thanks.
You didn't get an email warning you that you carryover entries would be lost? That email should go out at least 4 hours before the giveaway ends, and generally many hours after the initial Book of the Day email goes out.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I have added a note to the giveaway page to state how many hours are left in the giveaway. I've adjusted the timeframe so it will be open until 5am the following day in EST, which should mean it will still be open at 9pm PST.

However, the best indicator is the emails. One should enter when they get the Book of the Day email. If they forget to enter then, they will get a followup email later in the day warning about loss of carryover entries, so then they should enter then. Even though we are an international website, there should be plenty of time from when the first email goes before the giveaway ends.

It's easy to enter on mobile devices to preserve carryover entries even if one likes to be home to do the bonus entries.

ADDED ON EDIT: TIGER999, I tried to credit you with your carryover entries, but it looks you already have them.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Appreciate your reply, Scott. I checked my email again...I received the initial BOTD email, but no email warning that my carryover points would be lost. However, I was already out of town when the initial email was sent, so I wasn't able to see it in time. I don't have any mobile devices, only a desktop, so that option isn't possible. I might've been able to make some adjustment had I known ahead of time...if there had been some kind of notice posted, warning us of the change. (Sorry...meant PST!)

Thank you for adding the note about the time on the giveaway page, & putting the cutoff time back to what it was, at 5am EST. I guess that change hadn't taken place yet on 11/29 though, because I tried to enter a little after 9pm PST & it was already closed! I am not always able to be home to have Internet access until late in the day...so, can't always receive the emails in a timely fashion. The extended time will be helpful for me.

I checked my carryover entries...and they have NOT been credited as of this writing. I think I had about 87 or so? So, I don't know what went wrong with that (AGAIN)...I do NOT have them...I am now back to 0 (AGAIN)!!

I thought this would be a fun site for me...a nice distraction from all the heartache & chaos in caring for my Alzheimer-afflicted parents. But the frustration has really put a big dent into that notion.
Thanks, TIGER
TIGER999

Post by TIGER999 »

Scott...
Did you not see my reply to you? I'm sure you're a busy man, but it's been over 3 weeks now...I've been very patient, but I have gotten no reply from you to my last message. I'm still waiting for my 87 carryover entries to be credited to me as you promised! Thanks, TIGER
gali

Post by gali »

TIGER999 wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 01:01 Scott...
Did you not see my reply to you? I'm sure you're a busy man, but it's been over 3 weeks now...I've been very patient, but I have gotten no reply from you to my last message. I'm still waiting for my 87 carryover entries to be credited to me as you promised! Thanks, TIGER
Please contact him via the Contact page.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eniefiok
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Eniefiok »

Guy this might be off point but please can someone tell what it means by linkedin URL because I was disqualified for not making linkedin entries mean while I did.
gali

Post by gali »

Eniefiok wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 09:54 Guy this might be off point but please can someone tell what it means by linkedin URL because I was disqualified for not making linkedin entries mean while I did.
It means one should only click the LinkedIn entry on the Giveaway if he commented on the Linkedin's post. You should check your Social Profiles to see if the link leads to your profile.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”