Official Review: A Home from Home by Susan Barrett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theogene T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Re: Official Review: A Home from Home by Susan Barrett

Post by Theogene T »

An interresting book indeed. This review goes through the whole story and gave me an impression to read the whole book. I appreciate the book's flashbacks and character selection as well as its plot.
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

I can see this book is full of life's application. It sounds more like a sermon. Good Job Susan.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

This witty and heartwarming fiction novel is a good read. As an aficionado of autobiography I can't wait to read this one later. I applaud the author for providing it free of charge. Thanks for this review.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The idea of putting old people in a nursing home is still quite foreign to me. This is one thing that piques my interest in this story despite the characters being way older than What I'm used to. The old are often ignored in a work of fiction, and I like how you pointed out that the author included generous amounts of flashbacks of who these characters were in contrast to who they are, now that they're nearing the end of their lives. Great review, bruin!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

In recent months I have formed friendships with a few elderly ladies and I always enjoy the stories they have to tell, I think I would enjoy this book too. Edith sounds like quite an interesting character.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Kamii
Currently Reading: Quicksilver Rising
Bookshelf Size: 142

Post by Kamii »

It sounds like it would be aimed at others, rather than myself - I didn't read the review (even though it was very well written) and think that I must add it to my list. For me, the idea that it all happens over such a short period of time makes me wonder how much detail and development there can really be- even with flashbacks.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

The title of the novel could trick you into assuming a different setting for the book but a story about a nursing home is pretty fascinating. I love books that open your eyes to what or how life would be if one was placed in that very situation or circumstance. Its quite humorous how a nursing home has an investigative plot to it. This seems like an engaging read since I enjoy seeing people's characters built up from their past lives. This specific nursing home seems like a funny place to live in filled with humorous scenes.
I would read the book since I am a fun of biographies and investigations.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

This sounds interesting and I like how it is both humorous and serious! Maybe with a little more editing it can be a 4/4 book. Congrats to the author on BOTD though!
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

A Home from Home by Susan Barrett is a humor based feedback whereby a wealthy man buys and sells real estate in London, England. He gets involved with buying a senior residence in which a scandal occurs. The book has a 3 out of 4 stars rating.
bintisalma
Currently Reading: Weakness
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by bintisalma »

The stoneycrest looks like the kind of place peole invest in with ulterior motives. The owner,Spiro is just such a character and he lets Marion manage it, and all she wants is to Bmake money but not mainatain the place. But in such situuations things go awry and there's Edith to tell the true story.
Mehedi Parvez
Favorite Author: Mehedi Parvez
Currently Reading: Make The Dirt Fly
Bookshelf Size: 151
fav_author_id: 73470

Post by Mehedi Parvez »

I'm sorry. I can not read this best read tittle book . Though free books read online, fails of today. I lost my internet connection.Oh, Yes, I can do it now. Have a happy next day with " House + Love = Home, Many many thanks for this life story or tell.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia&rsquo;s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Juanita700 »

The review of Home from Home is a story about elderly people living in an old age home. There are many characters and the writer manages to draw you into their lives. The writer uses flashbacks to tells you the background of the characters in order to let you understand each one. It is done with humor and manages to tell you about life in a place like an old age home.

The story starts with a theft.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by okayode »

Ow I missed the review... Want a nice book. I do like to read it
Asunmo Cecilia
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Asunmo Cecilia »

i was wondering why Spiro didn't sell the nursing home.I guess he made a lot of money from it or did it triggered something in him.I guess I will find out when I read the book
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

I settled on this book for a quick afternoon read, and while the jumping back and forth between time in the beginning was a bit all over, I landed up really enjoying the book. Yes you can talk about non-compliance and things that should have been checked and done, but the 3 Stooges search party for Tilly and the Thompson's visit with the fire drill/non-fire drill was very funny. I thought it was written in a very sweet manner about important members of our society that are far too often just swept aside. And I'll never look at fish and chips the same way again...

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”