Official Review: The Amazing A-Muse-ing Lillian

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Amazing A-Muse-ing Lillian

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Amazing A-Muse-ing Lillian" by Maria Bakalis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Amazing A-Muse-ing Lillian: A Play from the Page to the Stage is a children’s book written by Maria Balakis and illustrated by Lillian Balakis Feinberg. Written in the form of a play, the story includes an introductory explanation of what a play is and how it’s structured. The plot focuses on a girl named Terrie who wants to be a Hollywood writer, but is afraid of pursuing her dream. That’s where the competing forces of inspiration and fear enter the picture, in the form of Lillian, the Muse of Inspiration, and King Fovos. Along with their sidekicks, Lillian and King Fovos battle over Terrie’s mind in this humorous and unique story.

First, I applaud the author for coming up with a fresh concept for a children’s book. I have never read a children’s book that introduces the play genre while telling an interesting story at the same time. It would be a great choice for storytime at school. The students could take turns reading the different characters’ lines aloud and even consider putting on the play.

All of the characters are well drawn. Although the storyline revolves around Terrie, the “teams” take center stage as they prepare their strategies. The King’s aides include Pout, Doubt, and Miss Givings who, as can be expected, exhibit the personality traits associated with their names. Lillian has a few trusty friends, such as Taki the owl and Toula the ladybug. The conversations between Lillian and her helpers are particularly amusing.

The illustrations are cute and whimsical, but most of the pictures are small. The artwork often contains bits of dialogue which are difficult to see, due to the tiny size and hand-drawn style. Also, it would have been nice to have more illustrations. With the exception of the character introductions, there tends to be only one picture every four to seven pages.

The words and phrasing sometimes seem too advanced for kids. Although the book is light-hearted and funny, the jokes and puns are too subtle and sophisticated for children to fully appreciate.

I noticed several errors in this short book. The poor editing is a particular concern, as young readers are at the age where they are learning proper writing skills. The mistakes include an extra apostrophe (don’t’ instead of don’t), an extra hyphen before a word, formatting issues, space between a word and the period, missing periods, an incorrectly capitalized word and no space after a comma.

I rate this humorous book 3 out of 4 stars. It has a positive theme and a wise lesson for children. I would recommend this book to children ages 6-10 who enjoy fun, offbeat stories and might want to try putting on a play.

The Amazing A-Muse-ing Lillian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book written in the form of a play? Nice. Too bad about the poor editing, as the concept does sound original. I agree about the importance of well-edited kids' books. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad shot the mistakes. I take them seriously in kid's books. Still, the concept is unique and fun. Another great review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali and Kandscreeley for the nice feedback! Despite the errors, the story is humorous and also provides a universal lesson for all ages.
Beryl shinah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Beryl shinah »

I love the kids book since it's written as a play,it's unique and pleasing to read though not well edited

-- 28 Nov 2017, 03:26 --

[amazon=][/amazon]I love the kids book since it's written as a play,it's unique and pleasing to read though not well edited
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love books that challenge young readers. This definitely sounds like a great book that focuses on a fantastically unique subject.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gunnar Ohberg and Beryl Shinah for the feedback, and welcome to the forums! It's always nice when kids can learn new concepts and read a fun story at the same time.
Chloe Johnson
Currently Reading: Puffy and the Formidable Foe
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloe-johnson.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Chloe Johnson »

I appreciated the honesty and kindness of this review. It was straightforward and didn't drag on, but still revealed all of the necessary information one is looking for in a review.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
SHERIFF DUSH
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SHERIFF DUSH »

the book us cool and educative I love the book
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like an interesting and "novel" - ha ha - idea, though it's a bummer about the grammatical and spelling issues.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Children's book in the form of a play? Sounds interesting. Brings back the memories of reading classical plays. Glad to know the book is fun to read to for children. Another nice review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I've never read a play written specifically for children. I think it would boost children's confidence and encourage them to engage in drama activities.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This book seems like it would be a wonderful way for children to learn about drama, so it’s really too bad about the grammatical errors. I hope that the author finds a good editor. Thank you for this thorough review.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! The story is a nice way to get kids interested in putting on a play or just reading the different characters' parts in different voices.
kyra86
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by kyra86 »

:D :D. I really love this book I really seriously need to buy it

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”