Official Review: The Elf Resistance - Book Six of the Mag...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Elf Resistance - Book Six of the Mag...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Resistance - Book Six of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Resistance is book six in the Magi Charter series by Jordan David. This book is the longest yet at around 900 or so pages. It picks up where book five left off as we continue to follow Santa and the Elves at the North Pole.

In this book, Mistletoe Green (who we learn in previous books is evil) starts to assert control over the Santas in an effort to eventually take control of the North Pole. Anna, one Elf lass who has been around from the beginning, sees Mistletoe Green for what he is. Unfortunately, Santa Basil is completely taken in by him, and Anna cannot do much to stop what she sees happening. Anna is not content to simply sit by and watch the evil Mistletoe's rise to power, though. She must find a way to stop him and his evil plans once and for all.

Once again, Mr. David shows his mastery in this novel. His world building skills are magical; not one detail in the North Pole is missed. Not only this, but there is continuity from one book to the next. I dare anyone to find one detail different from one book to the next. Along the same lines, his characters are so realistic that you can easily identify with them to the point that you forget you are reading a book. Every time I read about Mistletoe, I find myself getting anxious at what he has in store for the North Pole and the Elves. Though, it's not only the relatable nature of the characters that I find so fascinating. I enjoy how diverse they are as well. The Elves are from all over the world with many different backgrounds and temperaments. I guarantee you'll find some of yourself in one Elf or another.

Another of Mr. David's strong points is blending history with fiction and magic in such an incredible way. In this sixth book of the series, we see many Elves being recruited from a diverse time span (around the 1800s to the 1960s.) The author regales us with stories from various battles from the Chattanooga Campaign of 1863 to World War 1 and 2. He has done his research as well; I googled some of the battles that he describes, and his descriptions are spot on. My favorite event that he describes, though, is the famous World's Fair. He describes many of the exhibits and pavilions of the time in incredible detail.

Some errors have been consistent throughout the Magi Charter from one book to the next. That is one homophone getting mixed up for another quite often (since instead of sense for example.) I'm glad to say that the number of those errors in this book is greatly reduced. While they are still found here and there, they are not nearly as numerous. One thing that I would be remiss if I didn't mention, though, is that the author renames Las Vegas as Los Vegas. That is something that definitely needs to be corrected.

The Elf Resistance is one of the more character-driven books so far in this series. Therefore, if you are expecting more of an action packed book like The Elf Coup, you'll probably be disappointed. That's not to say, though, that there isn't intrigue and mystery within this book. Nevertheless, this book is more about getting to know the characters' backgrounds better and getting hints as to where the North Pole will go in the future.

I have it on good authority that the next three books in the series are to be set in the future. As for the whole series, that would make books 1 through 3 in the present, 4 through 6 in the past and 7 through 9 in the future. I can't wait to find out how Santa Claus continues with more advanced technology. Will he be delivering toys to boys and girls on other planets? Will there still be flying reindeer? I guess I'll have to read the next book to find out.

As for this installment in the series, I have to rate The Elf Resistance a 3 out of 4 stars. Renaming Las Vegas is a pretty big error, and it occurs multiple times. Also, some might consider this book to be a little too slow moving compared to the rest of the series. For my part, I continue to be impressed by the writing skills of Mr. Jordan David. I would highly recommend this series, and in turn this book, to everyone who enjoys a series of books about an uncharted world full of magical beings from real points in history. Don't let the fact that it's about Santa Claus and the Elves turn you off! This is no simple bedtime story, but rather a complex series full of interesting and unusual characters each with their own histories to be told.

The Elf Resistance - Book Six of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Another great review as always. :) I am glad you enjoyed the book. I had to laugh when you said the author renamed Las Vegas as Los Vegas! As for the other errors, it sounds like the author would benefit from the services of a good editor. With all of the books in this series, it's a little annoying that there continues to be specific consistent errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie. Those specific types of errors were less this time, but I'm not sure how Los Vegas slipped by.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've been following your Magi Charter and love them all. Will have to get the series when I'll see them on offer. Especially this time of the year!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks kislany! I'm so excited for the ones in the future. Will there be alien worlds? Will Santa still use reindeer? I'm looking forward to finding out.
—Neil Gaiman
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love that this book seems to dance from fantasy to magical realism. The historic context sounds appropriate and engaging. I also appreciate that the rather serious plot centers around the goofy lore of Santa Claus. I'm also a big fan of character-driven pieces, so this sounds like a great book, though I do slightly cringe knowing how many books I'll have to read to get there.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Gunnar! His whole series is really pretty fabulous. He even manages to add Merlin to the mix!
—Neil Gaiman
bumbe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bumbe »

i really love this,i cant take my eyes from the lines,its just so great cant wait to review the next book.

-- 16 Nov 2017, 21:14 --

I really love this,i cant take my eyes off the lines ,they are just so owsome and enjoyable .its great fun in this book

-- 16 Nov 2017, 21:32 --

its a great book
ReneeHaley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ReneeHaley »

Really loved this, cant wait to see more
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kandscreely! You are so lucky to always get the Elf books. (Maybe that's because you are not naughty?) Based on your reviews (and those of others who have enjoyed the books), I bought books 1 to 5. I am done with the first two, so I have a backlog of four books. I hope I'm able to finish all in time for Christmas (a self-imposed deadline of sorts LOL).

I think these books are comparable to the Harry Potter books in terms of detailed world building and character development. I only wish Mr. David would get his work edited. (It only makes since, right?)

In relation to the Los Vegas error, I also noted that in the first book, my country the Philippines was called Philippians (maybe from the Bible?).
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for commenting @Miriam Molina - I would agree that his books do remind me of the Harry Potter books in terms of character development and world building. I always hesitate to make comparisons like that because I think authors stand on their own. But, I have had that thought myself! You'll love book 3! It's one of my favorites!

As far as the Philippines in book one, I completely missed that one! I noticed most of the other homophone errors.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I am yet to get started on the Magi charter series but from your reviews, I should. Thank you for the detailed review,
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Mercy! You should read them. They are very fascinating and fun.
—Neil Gaiman
shirogitau
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by shirogitau »

I really loved this, waiting for more
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks shirogitau! I can't wait for the books in the future myself!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”