Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Re: Official Review: DragonGate by Sam Venstone

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Thanks for the review! Fantasy is not typically my genre of choice, though this plot sounds unique enough. I appreciate your point-of-view regarding the lack of importance given to the female characters. Could be the era in which the book takes place, if perhaps it is during a time when women remained in more secondary roles. Or, maybe, just a male-dominated novel, as you suggested. I agree that having so many names with commonalities is extremely confusing, especially when those names are so unusual.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

DragonGate seems quite interesting. Being a high fantasy with dragons and magical places it's right up my alley. It's a little disappointing that the female characters have secondary roles in the book. I'd still love to check it out. Great job on the review.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

It seems a great read, but 800 pages!, thats a toll order for me. I am not into epic stories though, but it seems an intriguing story from the morsels I picked from your review. A great review as usual.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds good for me! Congrats on the BOTD.
Lanrypat
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Lanrypat »

It might be boring reading this book but with time it's going to be quite interesting. Nice work

-- 10 Nov 2017, 02:04 --

It might be boring reading this book but with time it's going to be quite interesting. Nice work
DMNGABO
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by DMNGABO »

DragonGate by Sam Venstone.
Thank you for the great review and I have read the first 6 pages in less than 30 minutes! This shows how captivating the book is and can hold your attention for quite a bit!!
GREAT JOB, Sam.
willy mwatumia
Currently Reading: The Undocumented Struggle
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by willy mwatumia »

Fantastic review. The preview of the book reminded me of "King Solomon's mines" an old classic translated in many languages, including Swahili, East African language embraced by many communities in the region. For a fairy tale 800 pages are enormous. I recommend it to youths with flair for cartoons.
Nwonye Obini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwonye-obini.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwonye Obini »

Good review. Fantasy stories can be entertaining. There is no real fiction. Fiction is part of us. What someone has crafted as a fiction is similar to what the subconscious has crafted as a dream. A dream is a story with scenes, set in certain places, using bits and pieces of what the individual has seen. The pieces can be distorted or joined in funny ways to create what can be called a fantasy.
Michaelpapi
Currently Reading: DragonGate
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Michaelpapi »

I've just finished reading this novel "Dragongate" which I found on Amazon. It's by a new author by the name of Sam Venstone. It's kind of like fantasy meets therapy which is really unusual. In some ways it follows C. S. Lewis who used fantasy to promote Christian values, or L. Frank Baum whose Wizard of Oz contains characters representing different social classes, but "DragonGate" isn't as obviously allegorical. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else who might have read it and what they think. It's not pure fantasy for its own sake and it's not some kind of preachy self-help book but somewhere in between. I must admit I like novels that straddle multiple genres.
Byronemunga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Byronemunga »

This novel is great. I'm glad I came across it.

It clearly brings out significant themes such as:
-greed
-unity
-perseverance
-decision making
etc

It indeed inspired me greatly
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

DragonGate by Sam Venstone is an epic-fantasy about gods, dragons, calendars, monasteries in the tune of a Sci-Fi. A great brotherhood is attained through adventure of a villager and a hero’s journey of monks who travel with him. The book has a 3 out of 4 stars rating.
Drilona
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Drilona »

I'm not very into fantasy books....but I might give the book a shoot.
TIGER999
Currently Reading: The Haunting of Winchester Mansion Omnibus
Bookshelf Size: 146

Post by TIGER999 »

Whew! 800 pages is a lot...but I bet fantasy lovers will enjoy this complex saga...with that many pages, it's bound to be a tale with a lot of adventure. Thanks for an adventurous review!
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

I understand this is a novel; and importantly, it's fantasy but at times I can't help but think that books have too much to say. Humans have spirits but I have never known animals to have spirits as well: at least not until I read this review. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rosela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rosela »

Its a promising novel! Although it only has no female charachter it is a very great story! I advise you reading it, its worth it! ;)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”