Official Review: Dancing with Sophia by Ramalho Almeida

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Official Review: Dancing with Sophia by Ramalho Almeida

Post by Spirit Wandering »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dancing with Sophia" by Ramalho Almeida.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Dancing with Sophia, by Ramalho Almeida, we meet Baingana. He is a self-absorbed young man, which results in him being fired from his job and dumped by his girlfriend. Baingana then decides to take a trip to visit a friend and try to start a new chapter in his life. While waiting on a platform, he sees a beautiful woman boarding a train and is inexorably drawn to her. He jumps onto it but then cannot find her. An old man intercepts him and indicates that he is the father of the elusive woman, whose name is Sophia.

Most of the story consists of a series of dialogues between Baingana and the three characters he meets on his journey. First there is Abner, Sophia’s father. He tells Baingana that he is not yet ready to “dance with Sophia” and sets about teaching him concepts for developing a disciplined mind. Baingana then meets Inesa, Abner’s granddaughter. He learns some important lessons from her about the human heart. Finally, he meets Sophia. She provides wisdom about how to live an authentic life, care about others and be true to yourself. While his “journey” with the three appears to have been a dream, he returns to his life with a different view of the world.

I really liked the way in which the author portrayed the characters of Abner, Inesa and Sophia. I also enjoyed some of the ideas imparted by them. My favorite quote is when Inesa says, “The best thing you can offer to a person is your acknowledgment that a better alternative is always possible.”

Unfortunately, there were some passages that disrupted the flow of the narrative and thus my enjoyment of it. The novel has a fair number “run on” sentences. Also, some sentences are awkwardly worded. For example, “Whatever situation you face, you won’t complain about it because humbleness provides you with the understanding that you don’t know what your life is supposed to be.” Humbleness is actually a word, but I think humility would have been a better choice in this case.

I would recommend this novel to those who have an interest in stories where the main character undergoes a spiritual journey. It might be particularly enlightening to those who have not previously read books of this nature. For those who are already familiar with the type of ideas laid out in the book, the refresher course should still be enjoyable.

I rate Dancing with Sophia 3 out of 4 stars. This novel is not the first one to use a fictional setting to communicate spiritual concepts. However, I didn’t feel that there was anything especially new or unique about the ideas being conveyed. Thus, I felt reluctant to rate it four stars. Overall, though, I enjoyed the book and would read other works by this author.

Dancing with Sophia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Spirit Wandering's review? Post a comment saying so!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
njoromach
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by njoromach »

This book is very enlightening and also educative.
Spirit Wandering

Yes, I would agree. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that there isn't anything particularly unique about this one. Still, I'm glad you found enjoyment in it. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering

kandscreeley wrote:It's too bad that there isn't anything particularly unique about this one. Still, I'm glad you found enjoyment in it. Thanks for the review!
Since I have been reading this type of book going back to The Celestine Prophecy in the 90's, it is a little difficult for me to still find anything truly unique. :D However, for someone new to this material, it would provide a good basis in a number of important concepts. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Generally, I like narratives of spiritual journey. I think Ramalho Almeida's Dancing with Sophia will be my kind of book. Good to know you enjoyed the book!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Spirit Wandering

KlareAllison wrote:Generally, I like narratives of spiritual journey. I think Ramalho Almeida's Dancing with Sophia will be my kind of book. Good to know you enjoyed the book!
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The more I read, the more I discover areas (and genres) that I am picky about, and others that I am flexible about having tight grammar, editing, and uniqueness. This is one of those genres. I am glad, however, that you enjoyed the book!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Sounds like an interesting book. I've read many spiritual books over the years, but I don't think I've read them quite in this particular format. Nice review, Spirit Wandering (and nice nickname!).
Spirit Wandering

Kat Berg wrote:The more I read, the more I discover areas (and genres) that I am picky about, and others that I am flexible about having tight grammar, editing, and uniqueness. This is one of those genres. I am glad, however, that you enjoyed the book!
Thanks for reading the review and replying.

-- 09 Nov 2017, 07:46 --
kislany wrote:Sounds like an interesting book. I've read many spiritual books over the years, but I don't think I've read them quite in this particular format. Nice review, Spirit Wandering (and nice nickname!).
I think fiction works well for delivering spiritual concepts. When such ideas are presented in a non-fiction book, they can be more intimidating. Sometimes people are less likely to "think outside their box" in a non-fiction book than they might be with a novel.

Thanks for replying to my review and also for the nice compliment. :D
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like a book you don't just rush through. I enjoy well developed characters that leave am impression long after I am done reading.

-- 09 Nov 2017, 10:48 --

Sounds like a book you don't just rush through. I enjoy well developed characters that leave am impression long after I am done reading.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Spirit Wandering

[quote="Mercy Bolo"]Sounds like a book you don't just rush through. I enjoy well developed characters that leave am impression long after I am done reading.

Yes, I also like well developed characters. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
Shalini1976
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shalini1976 »

Sounds interesting.
Spirit Wandering

Shalini1976 wrote:Sounds interesting.
It is a good book. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

The review is well written. It gives a good insight of the story of the book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”