Official Review: Johnny Quantum by Tom Pawlik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Johnny Quantum by Tom Pawlik

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Johnny Quantum" by Tom Pawlik.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Johnny Quantum: Flight of the Aereothenon is the first book in the Quantum Chronicles created by Tom Pawlik.

Excited after finding the perfect gift for his mother, twelve year old John Quinn happily walks home to their apartment in Manhattan. His elation, however, is dampened when three bullies from his school get in his way and try to steal his precious find. Overcome by rage, John inadvertently releases a powerful energy he does not know he has.

John tries to keep the incident from his mother, but the arrival of a stranger changes everything John knows about his mother, about himself, and about the planet he lives in.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to John, his energy signature is detected by the CIA Office of Paranormal Investigations which detected that same energy signature twenty years ago when an enigmatic UFO entered Earth’s atmosphere but which signal mysteriously disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean.

Told in the third person perspective, this is an exciting, suspenseful and fast-paced science fiction novel. The story has a solid plot which is established early on and makes the book easy to read. However, even without any puzzle to solve and mystery to uncover, the author successfully wrote a very suspenseful book by creating exciting scenes including fighting, chasing and search and rescue scenes among others.

Moreover, the book boasts of interesting and endearing characters first of which is John Quinn, the protagonist himself. He is half human and half Ethyrian who is trying to find out how to use his newly found power. Then, there’s the brave and honorable soldier and pilot of the Aereothenon, the Anterran Queleg, whose soft heart is concealed by his stern countenance. There is also Jax, the stubborn but very smart daughter of the Head of the Interplanetary Council who has a talent for getting herself, and others, into trouble; Winston, the passive Onkono who is about to discover something about himself; Ziva, the rigid and brave cadet who apparently wants to have friends and Theron, Ziva’s cousin, who looks down on half-breeds like John.

In addition, the book is teeming with fascinating various alien races like Mangorian, Thorgon, Sorian, Enzedi and monstrous creatures like chorn, krolar and mordocks. Finally, unlike some books in a series which commonly end in cliffhangers, this book has an ultimately satisfying ending.

What I like most about this book, however, is the emphasis on a mother’s love. It shows what a mother is willing to do and how much she is willing to give of herself for that very special individual that is her child.

However, I noticed several errors within the book including typos (tarioninc instead of tarionic, his foot struck a rock the sent him tumbling), missing words (not impervious their damage) and misspelled words (deary instead of dreary and Throgons instead of Thorgons) that I recommend another round of editing.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an exciting and suspenseful read and I recommend it to fans of science fiction novels.

Johnny Quantum
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Sounds like a fun and interesting book! I especially like the idea of reading about new alien lifeforms. Too bad about the grammatical errors and such, though.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like it might be something I would enjoy. Too bad about the errors, but it sounds interesting anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Big dog
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by The Big dog »

Is a good book full of suspense
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

MsTri wrote:Sounds like a fun and interesting book! I especially like the idea of reading about new alien lifeforms. Too bad about the grammatical errors and such, though.
It sure is very interesting :)

-- 03 Nov 2017, 10:09 --
kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like it might be something I would enjoy. Too bad about the errors, but it sounds interesting anyway.
It is very enjoyable. I hope you get a chance to read it :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The plot sounds magnificent to enjoy a weekend full of action, excitement and suspense. Too bad about the lack of proper editing. On the other hand, I loved your description about Jax. I know two people who have her same talent. LOL. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kalin Adi wrote:The plot sounds magnificent to enjoy a weekend full of action, excitement and suspense. Too bad about the lack of proper editing. On the other hand, I loved your description about Jax. I know two people who have her same talent. LOL. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Thank you. I enjoyed the book a lot :)
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Sounds like a great read. Lots of action as well as motherly love makes a great plot. A splendid review, thank you.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Al Chakauya wrote:Sounds like a great read. Lots of action as well as motherly love makes a great plot. A splendid review, thank you.
Thank you very much. It is an enjoyable book :)
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I appreciate interesting characters and also books that don't end on a cliffhanger. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Spirit Wandering wrote:I appreciate interesting characters and also books that don't end on a cliffhanger. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. I enjoyed the book a lot :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. I can't imagine what I would do if I suddenly found out you had supernatural abilities.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:Lovely review. I can't imagine what I would do if I suddenly found out you had supernatural abilities.
Thank you. It's an enjoyable book :)
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I really enjoy sci-fi :) However it is one of the genres that I tend to be more picky (as well as more impatient with plodding plots, etc.) as I was schooled by some of the greats of the genre. I look forward to giving this one a try to see if it meets muster. Thanks for the review. It is a shame about the typos etc. They are always disappointing to me.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kat Berg wrote:I really enjoy sci-fi :) However it is one of the genres that I tend to be more picky (as well as more impatient with plodding plots, etc.) as I was schooled by some of the greats of the genre. I look forward to giving this one a try to see if it meets muster. Thanks for the review. It is a shame about the typos etc. They are always disappointing to me.
Thank you. It's one great book if not for those typos.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”