Official Review: The Mantle of Khronos by Paul V Young

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Mantle of Khronos by Paul V Young

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mantle of Khronos" by Paul V Young.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Time travel is nearly a universal fascination. What if we COULD travel backward or forward in time? Much ink has been spilled dealing with potential ramifications and philosophical issues. The Mantle of Khronos is a science fiction novel dealing with time travel, but not in a familiar fashion. I found the book's concept of portals to be new and intriguing. However, the scientific explanations of much of this were mostly lost on me. While this did not hinder my overall enjoyment of the book, someone else might have difficulty.

One of the main characters, Hunter, has noticed strange happenings in the area surrounding his home. He summons his cousin, Romy, to aid in deciphering the puzzle. Landslides, strange futuristic-like objects found in apparently centuries-old lava formations, odd weather, and other circumstances make for quite the mystery. A nearby farmer tells them his cows have been disappearing. The town’s resident police detective, Sergeant Dissett becomes involved. Unfortunately, no one is able to decipher what is really happening. A lot of energy is expended deciding if time travel is indeed possible, even in theory.

Soon, the plot plunges into a classic race between good and evil, with a significant twist coming from the inability of the reader to easily know who the real “bad guys” are. I don’t mind the author being nebulous on this. I feel that was one factor that kept my attention throughout the entire book. The biggest hindrance to the plot was the increasing amount of characters that kept showing up. By the time I reached the last chapters, I was having difficulty knowing who everyone was. It was obvious that at least one party was acting nefariously, but it was nearly impossible to tell who, as nearly every character was shrouded in at least a little mystery. Much of the plot involves a race to be first through the time portal. I can’t say a lot more about the time portal, lest I give away serious spoilers, but everyone had their own reason to be first.

The author threw in some major plot twists toward the end, helping to build suspense and propel the story forward to the climax. I appreciated the way the author tied up loose ends at the very end. The author was also kind enough to leave clues to the possibility of sequels while simultaneously avoiding major cliffhangers. Additionally, the editing is clean. Overall, I enjoyed the author’s pace and his dialogue. The book is somewhat low on character development but high in energy.

If you are looking for a new science fiction concept, you should find this to be an interesting read. I would have no trouble recommending it to audiences of any age unless someone’s enjoyment requires a full understanding of how the alternate reality works. All in all, I will give this 3 out of 4 stars. I would rate it higher if I had been better able to follow all the characters and understand the concepts.

The Mantle of Khronos
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Greenstripedgiraffe! I am intrigued by the time portal and the missing cows. I wonder if there are also missing kangaroos (the setting is Australia, right?).

Thanks for this intriguing review!
alvin-A
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alvin-A »

Hi greenstripedgiraffe,
I very much enjoyed this book. I loved every part of it especially the areas of time travel. I was expecting to read a lot of things on Australia since the setting is in Australia.
Thanks for the Wonderfull review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I wish I had that portal right here right now. I could travel forward in time. That would be superb! I truly liked your review. You made me want to read this book because even though the amount of characters was difficult to keep track of, there's enough mystery and excitement in the story. Thanks for the review!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I really liked your review. The book sounds really interesting. I didn't like the cover, but this one is going in my to read list.
greenstripedgiraffe

Miriam Molina wrote:Hi, Greenstripedgiraffe! I am intrigued by the time portal and the missing cows. I wonder if there are also missing kangaroos (the setting is Australia, right?).

Thanks for this intriguing review!
The Australian setting is sort of minimal to the plot. No mention of kangaroos, wombats, or koalas!!

-- 06 Nov 2017, 09:25 --
Kalin Adi wrote:I wish I had that portal right here right now. I could travel forward in time. That would be superb! I truly liked your review. You made me want to read this book because even though the amount of characters was difficult to keep track of, there's enough mystery and excitement in the story. Thanks for the review!
This was definitely a book that kept me engaged!

-- 06 Nov 2017, 09:27 --
HouseOfAtticus wrote:I really liked your review. The book sounds really interesting. I didn't like the cover, but this one is going in my to read list.
Thank you for your kind comments :oops: It was an interesting book - a very different take on the time travel idea!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I am always interested in books that propose new theories about time travel so I will check this one out. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know some enjoy the scientific explanations. Unfortunately, I find them a little too much for me most of the time. They just go over my head. Still, sounds like an interesting concept. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote:I know some enjoy the scientific explanations. Unfortunately, I find them a little too much for me most of the time. They just go over my head. Still, sounds like an interesting concept. Thanks.
I do sort of enjoy the science parts normally, but this went WAY UP THERE and nope :roll: But, the story itself was great. :lol2:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Although I don't mind scientific explanations, and generally really enjoy sci-fi, I am just not a fan of the time travel theme. I don't typically mind multiple characters, however, as long as they do not have similar names and are fleshed out enough to make them memorable.
greenstripedgiraffe

Kat Berg wrote:Although I don't mind scientific explanations, and generally really enjoy sci-fi, I am just not a fan of the time travel theme. I don't typically mind multiple characters, however, as long as they do not have similar names and are fleshed out enough to make them memorable.
This is not your typical time travel theme - that is for sure!! But, the characters were not fleshed out as much as I would prefer.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds interesting but I think I would have some difficulty reading this book. Thank you for an insightful review though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”