Julius Caesar, Shakespeare

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brooklyn Tree123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklyn-tree123.html

Julius Caesar, Shakespeare

Post by Brooklyn Tree123 »

I was never a big fan of Shakespeare (shocking, I know) until I read Julius Caesar last winter. As a child, Shakespeare actually grew up receiving a rigorous education in history, Latin, and many other subjects. When writing Julius Caesar, Shakespeare had to ensure that it was somewhat historically accurate, as well as exciting enough to entice viewers whom were already familiar with this part of history. Being the history nerd that I am, I was very intrigued by Julius Caesar and would now consider it my favorite play.
After reading John Green's infamous, The Fault in Our Stars, I wondered where Green really got the idea for the title from. Once I read Julius Caesar, I immediately made a connection. Cassius says, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings." An extremely modern and widely-read novel somewhat inspired by a Renaissance-era tragedy; anyone else make the connection?
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I never read Julius Caesar or The Fault in Our Stars. I watched the movie though, but I really liked your connection and I will read Julius Caesar soon.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Although I didn't read the book, I remember hearing the title and making the connection immediately. That is one of those often quoted lines. But then I am a theatre geek, so I know my Shakespeare.?
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Astrologers, eat your heart out. We're responsible, we can't blame the cosmos. Sad, sometimes it would be nice. Certainly the characters in The Fault in Our Stars have a right to shift blame. They did not ask to be born with the enormous challenges they had to face. Respect! Julius Caesar is also one of my favourite plays. I'm a Roman nut, a theatre nut and a Shakespeare nut, so I didn't stand much of a chance, so ... Beware the Ides of March, folks. Have you tried Antony and Cleopatra? There are some great lines there too.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

This is a work of art. I think it's the best of Shakespeare in a single work. The characters are memorable and the dialogues are beautiful.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I loved this book. It is my favourite in the Shakespeare canon.
TUYISHIMIRE
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tuyishimire.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by TUYISHIMIRE »

This one is very informative to read. I never knew this book among Shakespeare's books until I see it here. I thought Julius Cesar as a king.
Nasara

Post by Nasara »

I never enjoyed reading Shakespearean stories I thought they were difficult to read and understand,it seems the grammar was difficult until I read 'Julius Caesar '.This story made me develop some passion for his dramatic stories, the man was up to something
Ray4real
Currently Reading:

Post by Ray4real »

For the bardolatrians across the globe, Julius Caesar is one among the many Canonical masterpiece of the sharpest and transgenerational prophet, dramatist andhistorian that ever lived.
The play is a sum of the insatiable taste for power, fame and wealth, triggered by envy, vengeance and egotism which are inherent in every human on the face of the earth.
Ever since Shakespeare penned that dramatic piece, I have seen mother earth birth million Julius Caesars, Brutuses, and Mark Antonies almost in every continent. And I wish our modern generation leaders should learn from Caesar's flaws while coup plotters and every antagonist across the globe should avoid playing "the Roman fools", otherwise we will all remain the "most honourable" men and women of our respective countries.
In a nutshell, the play is a history manual for both leaders and the led.
Kolawole_1

Post by Kolawole_1 »

Hello guys, it's my first post on this platform.
I was going through the list of books in the different genres when I stumbled upon Julius Caesar by Shakespeare . I read this book in form 5 and it opened my eyes to a different world in literature. Shakespeare's book Julius Caesar portrays a sense of trust, loyalty, betrayal, disloyalty and more disloyalty. "Et tu brute" is my most favourite phrase by the way. It's a very interesting book.
guruprasad12111992

Post by guruprasad12111992 »

Julius Caesar is one of the greatest play that Shakespeare had written. It explains the theory of how cowards die many times before they actually dies where the brave dies only once... And also it's a great lesson for those who are stabbed by most trusted people.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html

Post by BookHausJ »

Admittedly I was weak in the area of History. But talking about Math I might give a shot. Many times I heard the name "Julius Caesar" but never got interested. But with your opinion I will give it a try to read his biography.
theworkerbee

Post by theworkerbee »

Its the same person responsible for Romeo and Juliet. I wish that Juliet never killed herself in the ending.
Christian okemini

Post by Christian okemini »

I love juilus Caesar write up very interesting,educating.l made so many meanings in that book.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

Shakespeare is absolutely an amazing playwright, and I think this can sometimes go unnoticed by some people because of the hype put up around Romeo and Juliet. Julius Caesar is one of my favorites by Shakespeare, as well as Hamlet. He is a fantastic writer and his stories are often very complex and thought out, with plot twists you wouldn't have expected and always a lesson to be learned.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”